Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,181,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is often true. Here in Mott Haven there is a building which used to be a Theater first for Germans but Germans moved out the area and the Irish came in. THe theater became a center for Irish culture in the city until the IRish picked up and moved out of the area. Down the block their used to be a Puerto Rican theather which was the center of performing arts of Puerto RIcans in NYC until it met its demise two decades ago and now it sits quietly as a Universal Church. Out of all the ethnic theaters in NYC the Apollo seems to be the most succesful. Broadway needs to do a better job to attract New Yorkers of all races, creeds and income stratas.
Broadway is not struggling to have successful shows. Why would they do anything different? I don't agree with people who say there are not shows that can be attractive to so called minorities. Also FWIW in the last few years some of the most successful shows had mostly black or latino casts...

I just think a lot of people either assume it's beyond their reach financially (there are deals and things out there that make it more affordable) or that it's not for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,152,223 times
When I went to see "Newsies" I was with the only black person in the entire theater -- cast or audience. I mean, how can you cast a show of singing, dancing young men and field NO black cast members, or hispanic either. I asked my date -- do you feel weird being the only black person here? He goes -- nah, I'm used to it.

I really kind of agree with what a friend of mine (jewish, always lived in Manhattan) said --

"You go to a Broadway show, everyone on stage is from the Midwest. Everyone in the audience is from the Midwest. Why don't they just stay in the Midwest and save everybody a lot of trouble?"

Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
When I went to see "Newsies" I was with the only black person in the entire theater -- cast or audience. I mean, how can you cast a show of singing, dancing young men and field NO black cast members, or hispanic either. I asked my date -- do you feel weird being the only black person here? He goes -- nah, I'm used to it.

I really kind of agree with what a friend of mine (jewish, always lived in Manhattan) said --

"You go to a Broadway show, everyone on stage is from the Midwest. Everyone in the audience is from the Midwest. Why don't they just stay in the Midwest and save everybody a lot of trouble?"
Let's be fair here. Newsies is one show. There are several shows on broadway right not that have a lot of Black castsmembers.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:18 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,316,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post

I'd have to agree that the lack of diversity of the cast reflects in the lack of diversity of the audience. It has very little to do with theater being so called high culture. I've been to many museums in NYC and see a lot more diversity there than at a Broadway play. In the plays where I do see a lot of audience diversity, no surprise that it is for the shows that have a more diverse (or all black) cast. This is also probably because these plays are advertised to a wider audience-- meaning that they will specifically target their advertising to reach black consumers. I highly doubt that you would see an ad for Newsies on BET or in Ebony Magazine but I'm sure Porgy and Bess are being advertised there in addition to wider publications/media for a mass audience.

I'm black and have only been to a handful of plays: Cats (fell asleep), Fela (amazing!), Les Mis (Loved it!) Color Purple (kinda sucked). Broadway theater is really just not my thing. If I want to take in so called "high culture" you'll find me strolling around the Met or the BK museum on a Saturday afternoon.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Let's be fair here. Newsies is one show. There are several shows on broadway right not that have a lot of Black castsmembers.
A lot? LMAO. If by that you mean two or three cast members, then yes. But if blacks and Hispanics are like 50% of the NYC population, a lot would mean that 50% of the cast is black/Hispanic...

Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
A lot? LMAO. If by that you mean two or three cast members, then yes. But if blacks and Hispanics are like 50% of the NYC population, a lot would mean that 50% of the cast is black/Hispanic...
Well Fela and Memphis are two prime examples. Those shows just ended their nyc run. One of the biggest shows in recent years was "in the Heights" and that had a mostly "minority" cast. To expect every show to be mostly black or have prominent Black castmembers is unrealistic but to say all the shows are lily White is BS. I actually don't know exactly what is playing right at this moment but I'm sure there are a few that have quite a few Black castmembers...

Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Well Fela and Memphis are two prime examples. Those shows just ended their nyc run. One of the biggest shows in recent years was "in the Heights" and that had a mostly "minority" cast. To expect every show to be mostly black or have prominent Black castmembers is unrealistic but to say all the shows are lily White is BS. I actually don't know exactly what is playing right at this moment but I'm sure there are a few that have quite a few Black castmembers...
And why would it be unrealistic considering that the reality is NYC is 50% "minority". You can't just throw ONE token up there and think that means diversity.

Here is an article about how Broadway is far from color blind:
Black actors believe Broadway is far from colorblind | theGrio

Old 09-25-2012, 10:01 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,945,179 times
Not shocking at all really

Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 AM

75 posts, read 106,982 times
If you had a play or musical that was designed specifically for the black culture with black themes few people would show up because few whites, who are 90% of the Broadway Crowd. Having Black actors or singers who are crossover talents would be alot easier.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 AM

916 posts, read 2,239,717 times
Not everything have to match the percentages of the racial populations inorder to be
consider "right". Don't go to the Broadway shows if you don't enjoy it, but if you don't
go because there are too few whatever type of people in them is kind racist in a way too.
If that's the case then white, Hispanic and Asian should start boycott the NBA already.

I personally don't go to Broadway shows because I rather watch a ballgame or a movie,
and think is a waste of money comparing to the other entertainment for the same money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City