Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 AM

11 posts, read 13,584 times

Advertisements

Hi, considering a move to NYC with teens. Suburbs have not quite been the environment we had hoped. Need urban area. Big problem/question - Schools and housing. One son may go to a boarding school in PA, but we would need a three bed apartment. Younger son would need to go to a local or private nearby school. We are not among the category of people for whom private schools are an easy economic decision. However, we are prepared to make significant lifestyle changes to have the privilege of living in NYC. Help and any thoughts on schools and housing. Renting. Not interested in the typical top 20 private schools. It's an '80s terms, but we are not amongst the "masters of the universe." Neither husband nor I even work on wall street. Consider outer boroughs in regards to schools. Thoughts? Throw 'em my way! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Whats your income?
Private school per kid is about 40k a year.
Suburbs may be your only choice if you are not rich.

I will reference myself as an example. I am professional making 300k/year (not considered rich in NYC). Right now I live comfortably in a 1 bd in a posh part of Brooklyn (DUMBO) with my wife and infant. However, I know I will not be able to afford a larger place and private school, so when the kid is older, I likely will be heading off to the suburbs.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:16 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Whats your income?

I will reference myself as an example. I am professional making 300k/year (not considered rich in NYC). Right now I live comfortably in a 1 bd in a posh part of Brooklyn (DUMBO) with my wife and infant. However, I know I will not be able to afford a larger place and private school, so when the kid is older, I likely will be heading off to the suburbs.
OP, there isn't any point to discussing any of your questions and desires, w/o first establishing INCOME!!

What you describe, is not simple nor easy, and it is VERY VERY INCOME DICTATED!

Living in the city and sending TWO children to private school is a daunting proposition, and not realistic for average folk, even with sacrafices.

Three bedrooms in a good to great neighborhood is in the range of $3K to $6K. Now, some will argue as to what is a "good" neighborhood, but that is for YOU to determine.

One thing though, choosing and affording private schooling allows you to choose neighbhoods which may have "good" qualities, but have poor public schools (that describes most decent areas). The search for good neighborhoods with good public schooling is the never ending quest in NYC.

Most fail the quest.

So, what is your **definite** earnings?

Old 09-26-2012, 12:19 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Whats your income?

What is your definition of "posh". Perhaps, therein lies YOUR problem.

The reality is that $300K can afford a "larger" place AND private school in Brooklyn.

The problem is two fold, do YOU know how to do it; and, are you willing to make the necessary sacrafices? For, example, moving out of overpriced DUMBO???

I know MANY in your income bracket who are doing it; and, have done it. Of course, they are 'Natives' void of Transplantism.

I do not think your issues are the OPs issues, yet overall you are correct, *income* is the focus!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movesalot4 View Post
Hi, considering a move to NYC with teens. Suburbs have not quite been the environment we had hoped. Need urban area. Big problem/question - Schools and housing. One son may go to a boarding school in PA, but we would need a three bed apartment. Younger son would need to go to a local or private nearby school. We are not among the category of people for whom private schools are an easy economic decision. However, we are prepared to make significant lifestyle changes to have the privilege of living in NYC. Help and any thoughts on schools and housing. Renting. Not interested in the typical top 20 private schools. It's an '80s terms, but we are not amongst the "masters of the universe." Neither husband nor I even work on wall street. Consider outer boroughs in regards to schools. Thoughts? Throw 'em my way! Thanks.

Pardon me, I know it is none of my business, but, you are moving teens away from their friends, to new schools, to a huge-bewildering city?????? Way too late.......!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Do you need to be near your younger son's school? Jackson Heights and Bay Ridge have private schools that charge less than $20K/year in tuition (Garden School, Adelphi Academy), which is low by NYC standards. You will also be able to find 3BR apartments in those places. After that your options are Catholic schools.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 PM

371 posts, read 624,850 times
Arch Bishop Molloy's tuition is under $10K a year. You can find a 3 bedroom in Kew Gardens for $3K a month easily. However, I am not sure if this area is your definition of urban.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
If you're Catholic and you have an academically talented son, you could try Regis High School on the Upper East Side. It's high school only, but great academics and tuition-free.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
My thoughts are that you can't afford it--since you made the point twice in your short post that your resources are limited. If you don't like your area, it may be better to move to a better suburb that has more convenient transportation to the city. You not only have to think about private school, but upcoming college tuition.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
The way you are speaking, it's Manhattan or bust. If that's the case, you will need a LOT of money. Rents are really high and private school is even higher. Unless you are making about 350k-500k you won't be able to afford a nice 3 bedroom and private school for 2 teens.

If you ARE actually okay with the outer boroughs, you are trending more towards affordable. But we need your income, whether you will have a car, how much you pay in debt (credit cards, loans, any other expenses). Make to exclude any and all bonuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City