Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the New York/eastern accent disappearing among young people?
Yes 19 39.58%
No 16 33.33%
Yes, but it is still fairly common 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times

Advertisements

im 22, and many people recognize my brooklyn accent. Im not like these other ninjas speaking caribbean English all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
im 22, and many people recognize my brooklyn accent. Im not like these other ninjas speaking caribbean English all day.
I have a Jamaican accent I guess I'm a ninja

Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
I have a Jamaican accent I guess I'm a ninja
im not talking about real west indians. im talking about the Yankees. im Haitian american, and i hate the Haitian Americans who are in Haitian gangs speaking that french creole all day as well.

but as far as nyc accents go. i always thought i spoke normal but people can usually tell im from brooklyn.

i guess its the pride of nyc, and hip hop that do it for me.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACalifornian View Post
I've never been to New York before, but I can't remember hardly any young New Yorkers (or easterners in general) I've seen on non-fiction TV speak with the famous accent. It seems like it is primarily associated with older or middle aged people. I know a couple of guys in Danbury, Connecticut (I think) on YouTube who speak with funny accents (sounds like a mish-mash of Canadian and New York), but that's about it. Most films or TV shows, especially those aimed at younger viewers, seem to primarily feature people who speak with the general Midwestern dialect.

So, among younger people, is the New York accent (or eastern accents in general) disappearing?
young people on long island (nassau and suffolk counties) tend to pick up on the long island accent and can tone it down slightly if ncessary. jmo.

i dont know a lot of young ppl in the 5 boros

Old 09-28-2012, 11:07 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tungt88 View Post
Haven't heard too much of the "Noo Yawk" accent in recent years; it was a lot more common when I was growing up.
if anyone listens the nightly opinion call in show on channel 1, timewarner's 24/7 news channel, you hear tons of ny accented callers with that old school 1930's(?) northeast (ny/nj/li) accent. my gut feeling is almost all are 45+ years old, minimum

Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 PM

i swear ppl say theirs an accent for every city, but it doesnt feel like that to me.

for example everyone in the midwest sound the same to me, and same for the south.

on the east coast i never knew new jersey, and nyc had a different accent.

i do know phillly has an accent, since my cousins who live in philly sound kind of southern(and their haitian on top of that)

But yea i dont hear all these 1 billion accents in america that people seem to talk about often.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:21 AM

59 posts, read 99,748 times
Born and raised in the Bronx and I don't think I have an accent or if there is even a "Bronx" accent (whatever that may be). Maybe its there but just not pronounced like the old "Noo Yawk" days. (I'm 35)

I do hear the old style NYC accent at work occasionally from construction/blue collar guys that do repair work but thats about it really and yea..its usually the older 40+ dudes.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:23 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I'd say accents in general are in decline. Any accent that deviates from what you hear your local TV anchor speak is increasingly considered "uneducated".
I agree with that, but the TV anchor standard is a really low one. They often mispronounce words.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:41 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
im not talking about real west indians. im talking about the Yankees. im Haitian american, and i hate the Haitian Americans who are in Haitian gangs speaking that french creole all day as well.

but as far as nyc accents go. i always thought i spoke normal but people can usually tell im from brooklyn.

i guess its the pride of nyc, and hip hop that do it for me.
Lol I wasn't serious I was just playing with u

Old 09-30-2012, 01:45 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Famous Ray View Post
Born and raised in the Bronx and I don't think I have an accent or if there is even a "Bronx" accent (whatever that may be). Maybe its there but just not pronounced like the old "Noo Yawk" days. (I'm 35)

I do hear the old style NYC accent at work occasionally from construction/blue collar guys that do repair work but thats about it really and yea..its usually the older 40+ dudes.
I hear it all the time at work (in construction) from older Irish and Italian guys. I still remember the first time a foreman called me "youse".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City