Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 PM

224 posts, read 675,943 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, I think the more isolated the project, the worse it is. I would feel comfortable spending a night sleeping on a park bench in Queensbridge. Of course there is crime--whenever you have that kind of density, sh*t happens--but I'm willing to bet QB has the lowest crime per capita if you factor in project size. Plus, all kinds of folks pass through there on the daily. Local politicians do a lot of work there. You have views of the Manhattan skyline. You have the immigrants in Queens. Etc. QB is not bad.

Far Rock is terrible. Out of the way. No reason to be there. People don't pass through. It's awful.

40 PJs is eh. Pomonok is pretty tame, as are some of the other projects in Flushing. Remember these areas are surrounded by commerce and traffic.

Brownsville is bad. Again, no reason to go there. That whole eastern section of Brooklyn sucks. I came across some projects around Howard Ave down there (Howard Houses?) and they were bad.

I found parts of Staten Island pretty damn scary. Maybe it was Stapleton--one of those projects by the ferry was pretty damn awful.

Overall, projects in NYC, hoods in NYC, etc., are NOTHING compared to places where there is less money and commerce. Go through parts of Irvington, Trenton, Camden, Baltimore, DC, Philly, Reading, Chicago, Dayton, Miami, etc. People there got AK-47s and Hanes t-shirts. In ghettos in NYC, people have designer clothing and go out to dinner from time to time. Go to any hood in the South, and people probably sell their teeth for crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 04:04 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
In my opinion, I think the more isolated the project, the worse it is. I would feel comfortable spending a night sleeping on a park bench in Queensbridge. Of course there is crime--whenever you have that kind of density, sh*t happens--but I'm willing to bet QB has the lowest crime per capita if you factor in project size. Plus, all kinds of folks pass through there on the daily. Local politicians do a lot of work there. You have views of the Manhattan skyline. You have the immigrants in Queens. Etc. QB is not bad.

Far Rock is terrible. Out of the way. No reason to be there. People don't pass through. It's awful.

40 PJs is eh. Pomonok is pretty tame, as are some of the other projects in Flushing. Remember these areas are surrounded by commerce and traffic.

Brownsville is bad. Again, no reason to go there. That whole eastern section of Brooklyn sucks. I came across some projects around Howard Ave down there (Howard Houses?) and they were bad.

I found parts of Staten Island pretty damn scary. Maybe it was Stapleton--one of those projects by the ferry was pretty damn awful.

Overall, projects in NYC, hoods in NYC, etc., are NOTHING compared to places where there is less money and commerce. Go through parts of Irvington, Trenton, Camden, Baltimore, DC, Philly, Reading, Chicago, Dayton, Miami, etc. People there got AK-47s and Hanes t-shirts. In ghettos in NYC, people have designer clothing and go out to dinner from time to time. Go to any hood in the South, and people probably sell their teeth for crack.
you sir have highlighted your ignorance quite clearly through this response... just to let you know where I'm going with this... every hood in this country has the same things...

while I agree with you that in NYC the poor are no longer as poor as they were overall back in the days... that is the case throughout the country as well (thus all the statistics that we see about the country becoming less violent, even though NYC's violent crime rate shot up last year and continues to grow this year)... and for the record if you ever have been to Brownsville and not just looked it up on wikipedia or if youve been to the Bronx most parts of wash heights, inwood, bushwick, southside, farrock, south jamaica, i could go on and on... you'll know that there are some kids that got the nice clothes and kicks and all the other amenities but there are many others that fulfill that same stereotype of hanes shirts that you see with glocks as early as 9,10 years old... I remember not too long ago I was observing a school by my old neighborhood in ENY in a JHS in Brownsville and if you saw some of the things that went down with 10-14 year olds it would leave you amazed... I remember hearing one of these kids that was being taken away say "F*** the cops, aint no s*it in the pen i aint seen already on the streets..." this was a 12 year old and this was about a year and a half ago... and alot of these kids in brownsville tried to look nice but didn't really have much and you'd see them with broken down sneakers wife beater and a cargo pants shorts mostly all the time... that was it... And thats the reality for alot of kids today still living in the hood... just like anywhere else in the country... the only difference is that since brownsville has a pop of 100,000 because its only projects, same wit mott haven, hunts point.. etc. and not 10,000 in the same type of area... the thousands of crimes that you see take place in that small location (that are reported mind you... which in this city is alot less than is actually happening) it makes Brownsville look like disney world... reality though is far worse...

Old 07-24-2011, 05:45 PM

33 posts, read 124,551 times
40 pj's and pomonok are the hood

yea Latimer gardens is in flushing and its soft
Bland is tame for a projects

but pomonok is surrounded by alright areas, and the crime rate is crazy in pomonok compared to the rest of the area.

so many shootings there. especially the july 4th weekend shootings.

i consider 40P and pomonok dangerous areas..
far rock as well.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM

projects in far rockaway/southside/brooklyn are usually in bad neighborhoods with alot of crime
so its no surprise the pj's are crappy

but the area around Pomonok is pretty decent, and it still has a high crime rate/shootings.
thats why i consider its bad. believe me, its not tame lol..

bland is also in a decent area. still not great compared to its surroundings. but bland is much safer then pomonok

*I Currently live in electchester* im in pomonok all the time, i would know lol.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:50 PM

people in ghettos all over have designer clothing lol..iv been to Newark and id rather be there then ENY or Brownsville.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 PM

Bland is surrounded by Traffic, its near citi field..and its a pretty good PJ's. dont hear anything going on over there..no wonder its so boring they named it ''Bland''.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:52 PM

but pomonok aint a joke lol

Old 07-24-2011, 06:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensG'Z View Post
staten island's projects r more mixed racially then pomonok is,
pomonok is mostly black

in staten islands pj's u got whites mixed in along with spanish
In the projects south of the SIE, there is definitely a sizable White population. However, all of the North Shore projects have very small White populations: I would say 5% or less (though in many projects, the percentage is 1%)

Hispanics are in all of the projects across the city. Some have a lower percentage (such as Brownsville), but for the most part, every project has at least, say a 30% Hispanic population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
It's Todt Hill. And the Todt Hill projects and Berries (Berry Houses) have to be some of the safest projects in the city.

Stapleton, Parkhill, West Brighton, Mariners Harbor and Richmond Terrace are a trip though...
Like you said, it's all subjective based on the experiences one has had in the area. I generally feel that, within the North Shore, the projects further from St. George are safer.

To me, Stapleton feels more dangerous than Mariners' Harbor, possibly because I'm more familiar with Mariners' Harbor, but also because it is a lot more dense (more tenement-type buildings in the area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post

They could've been the Richmond Terrace Houses, which are by Jersey Street. It's closer to the ferry than Stapleton, and less isolated (just a straight trip down Richmond Terrace)

You're right that it depends on the surrounding neighborhood. If it has a lot of people who work hard and care about the community, or it is centrally located, it is likely to be safer than one in an isolated community with nothing going for it.

Also, near some projects, there are a lot of people who protested them being built, so in those areas, the government compromised and had stricter standards to live in those projects (I'm sure that happened with the projects south of the SIE we were talking about before)

Old 07-24-2011, 07:30 PM

id still say Pomonok is majority black. with some hispanic. and no whites.
bland and Latimer are both black/spanish

what are the PJ's with white people in them in S.I.? and the ones with none in them really?
cause i saw some white people in stapleton before..

Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensG'Z View Post
id still say Pomonok is majority black. with some hispanic. and no whites.
bland and Latimer are both black/spanish

what are the PJ's with white people in them in S.I.? and the ones with none in them really?
cause i saw some white people in stapleton before..
The 3 south of the SIE have a large White population: Maybe around 30%, give or take.

The North Shore projects don't have a lot of White people living in the projects themselves (then again, it could've been some of that 5% that you happened to see), but some of the surrounding neighborhoods have a sizable White population.

For example, according to Census data (Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com) the White population in the Census tract containing the Stapleton Houses is 7% (probably less within the projects themselves), but the White population in the surrounding Census tracts is around 20-25%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City