Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 AM

17 posts, read 68,491 times

Advertisements

Campos plaza Lower East Side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 01:00 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,268 times
With regards to wait lists and Chicago PH residents, I know it was just an example but they've got section 8 vouchers now, and are moving all throughout the general region - Chicagoland and even some towns further away like Iowa City. Doubt many move long distance unless they have much family back wherever. Chicago had/has a long wait list just like NYC, but NYC has/had way way more apartments, and Chicago's high rises were in such bad shape that they had high and higher vacancy rates by the 90s. I think similar, to what Hustla718 said about the CHA's high rises:

Quote:
However I belive this was part of a plot to eventually condemn the buildings. Let them rot, most people will leave and the remaining will get evicted. Next step gentrification.
But yeah, in Chicago, snipers shot at cops/civilians. Gang battles took place in the projects.

Here's sourced info from wikipedia about just one project in Chicago:

Quote:
Police intelligence sources say that elevated number of homicides was the result of gang "turf wars," as gang members and drug dealers fought over control of given Chicago neighborhoods. Its landlord, the Chicago Housing Authority (CHA), has estimated that $45,000 in drug deals took place daily. Former residents of the Robert Taylor Homes have said that the drug dealers fought for control of the buildings. In one weekend, more than 300 separate shooting incidents were reported in the vicinity of the Robert Taylor Homes. Twenty-eight people were killed during the same weekend, with 26 of the 28 incidents believed to be gang-related.
Robert Taylor Homes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-07-2007, 04:18 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Many people I talk too are scared stiff of stepping into the Harlem River park towers.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
I know at least some slight details of how horrid some of those in Chicago were. What I've been curious about for a while is if any, or how close any in NYC come to it. In Chicago they seem to blame it on "concentrated poverty" but comparing to NYC for instance, it seems more like in Chicago they basically just shoved a bunch of poor blacks into high rises and let them rot.
My father in law used to work for the City of chicago, he was on their anti gang unit or something like that. Anyway from what I have been told about Chicago, NYC aint got shi... on Robert Tailor Homes or cabrini green or any of those places on the West side.

Im from BK by the way.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:09 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
With regards to wait lists and Chicago PH residents, I know it was just an example but they've got section 8 vouchers now, and are moving all throughout the general region - Chicagoland and even some towns further away like Iowa City. Doubt many move long distance unless they have much family back wherever. Chicago had/has a long wait list just like NYC, but NYC has/had way way more apartments, and Chicago's high rises were in such bad shape that they had high and higher vacancy rates by the 90s. I think similar, to what Hustla718 said about the CHA's high rises:

But yeah, in Chicago, snipers shot at cops/civilians. Gang battles took place in the projects.
Stuff like that happens in NYC/Chicago projects even now. Rarely in both do civilians get specifically targeted.

I do dispute the accuracy of that statement about 28 homicides in a weekend. Chicago's murder stats do not reflect that. Yes things do get swept under the rug but 28 per weekend would not be a one time thing, and no way Chicago had 28 murders per weekend as a city as a whole, let alone a single housing project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
My father in law used to work for the City of chicago, he was on their anti gang unit or something like that. Anyway from what I have been told about Chicago, NYC aint got shi... on Robert Tailor Homes or cabrini green or any of those places on the West side.

Im from BK by the way.
Crime statistics do not back that claim. I will say the PJ's that did go up in Chicago were not nearly as well built as those in NYC but the differences in quality of life pretty much stops there. Both housing authorities maintain the PJ's better today then in the past and Chicago actually ended up razing a bunch of them.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:27 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Stuff like that happens in NYC/Chicago projects even now. Rarely in both do civilians get specifically targeted.

I do dispute the accuracy of that statement about 28 homicides in a weekend. Chicago's murder stats do not reflect that. Yes things do get swept under the rug but 28 per weekend would not be a one time thing, and no way Chicago had 28 murders per weekend as a city as a whole, let alone a single housing project.

Crime statistics do not back that claim. I will say the PJ's that did go up in Chicago were not nearly as well built as those in NYC but the differences in quality of life pretty much stops there. Both housing authorities maintain the PJ's better today then in the past and Chicago actually ended up razing a bunch of them.
chicago

nyc

look at the top right for both

Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 18,397 times
Default polo grnds

i'm a white boy i live in the polo grounds with my girl who's dominican.the polo grnds is not what people think.Most of ny's pj's are the same.My girls whole family lives in the pj's from harlem to the south bronx.I'll tell ya they aint what they used to be in the early and mid 90's.Coming live from the 17th flr i'm out.Still puff that haze,kush and diesel!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
queens - edgemere
brooklyn - brownsville, red hook
staten island - stapelton or west brighton
bronx - soundview, edenwald, mott haven
manhattan - st. nick, drew hamilton, polo grounds

these are all my opinion, not based on statistics.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:45 PM

139 posts, read 923,875 times
i havent seen 1 in new york state that i would call "dangerous",makes me question where these people on here who label some of these hoods dangerous really from..edenwald aint dangerous

Old 02-27-2008, 09:46 PM

139 posts, read 923,875 times
always watch my back in other cities housing projects (baltimore to be exact)

Old 02-28-2008, 06:02 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-d0g_Bronx View Post
i havent seen 1 in new york state that i would call "dangerous",makes me question where these people on here who label some of these hoods dangerous really from..edenwald aint dangerous
you wouldn't call brownsville dangerous? you must have an "S" on your chest lol

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City