Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 PM

393 posts, read 781,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raecino View Post
It is a fake advertisement, BearMM is correct, cheapest studios go for $7000 at The Lombardy. It is a co-op building, not a rental.

I see rental units for under $2k available in neighborhoods of Manhattan below 96th street, so you don't have to count Manhattan out.

As for which search portals to use for your apartment hunt, it's difficult to say. There are legitimate and scam ads on every forum, including the mainstays- craigslist, Trulia & Zillow. Usually, this is where I chime in the cliche "if it's too good to be true..." line but there are some fantastic deals to be had, though they usually go very quickly.
That's true. There are some apartments under 2,000 in some neighborhoods below 96th street, but they definitely don't look anything like the apartment pictures above. I feel like most people who aren't from here define normal living differently, and the apartments in that price range are usually very small, unrenovated and on high floors of old walk-up buildings.

Also, it's super hard to find a great deal that doesn't come with a broker's fee. Honestly, that's the real killer and the thing that aggravates me the most about apartment hunting. 15% of annual rent for no work is ridiculous but almost impossible to avoid. You can easily avoid it by looking at luxury buildings that have leasing offices, but if you are looking at those then paying a broker's fee is not a problem in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:43 PM

66 posts, read 180,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
That's true. There are some apartments under 2,000 in some neighborhoods below 96th street, but they definitely don't look anything like the apartment pictures above. I feel like most people who aren't from here define normal living differently, and the apartments in that price range are usually very small, unrenovated and on high floors of old walk-up buildings.

Also, it's super hard to find a great deal that doesn't come with a broker's fee. Honestly, that's the real killer and the thing that aggravates me the most about apartment hunting. 15% of annual rent for no work is ridiculous but almost impossible to avoid. You can easily avoid it by looking at luxury buildings that have leasing offices, but if you are looking at those then paying a broker's fee is not a problem in the first place.
Not all broker's charge the standard 15%, even for units under $2000. And to find a great place, in a great location for a great price isn't as easy as just opening a door. It takes a lot of research, knowledge of the market and good relations with landlords and management companies to find that rare, inexpensive gem. Sure you could find it on your own, if you have the time to randomly search buildings all day, you might possibly find something. But it's a lot easier to work with someone who devotes their livelihood to helping people find a place to live, it all depends on whom you work with.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM

393 posts, read 781,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raecino View Post
Not all broker's charge the standard 15%, even for units under $2000. And to find a great place, in a great location for a great price isn't as easy as just opening a door. It takes a lot of research, knowledge of the market and good relations with landlords and management companies to find that rare, inexpensive gem. Sure you could find it on your own, if you have the time to randomly search buildings all day, you might possibly find something. But it's a lot easier to work with someone who devotes their livelihood to helping people find a place to live, it all depends on whom you work with.

HA! You must be a broker. Are you seriously suggesting that Manhattan brokers are going to bend over backwards to get their budget-conscious client the deal of a lifetime? What a joke. Finding a broker like that in Manhattan is harder than finding an affordable apartment. I've moved around a lot and have dealt with countless brokers. I only met one who actually put in some effort, called me when places came up, kept his appointments, etc.

Most of them don't even do the bare minimum because the apartments sell themselves, especially ones that are below market rate. All they do is throw them up on craigslist, wait for people to call them, show up for 2 seconds and collect their fee. They don't even bother keeping your information on file to call you back with new listings. You have to look at craigslist to see new listings and call the same person over and over again instead of the other way around. And yeah most brokers in Manhattan do charge the standard 15%. They might "negotiate" to 12%. One month in the outer boroughs. Let me tell you working with brokers is far from easy, unless of course you are a millionaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City