U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 942 times

Advertisements

I am very frustrated by the fact that no matter what I try to do by following the official channels I am frequently impotent in my ability to help change the way things are done in this great city. 311 is nothing more than a giant switchboard. The people who work there very kindly give people phone numbers to various city agencies. The average citizen is then responsible for contacting agencies that are staffed by people who are underpaid under-motivated and frankly don't care to help at all. I understand that there has always been a class system in the city. But somewhere along the way the rights of lower income and middle income individuals have dwindled to almost nothing. I'm not just ranting here. I'm looking for a solution. It doesn't matter how many letters I write to the mayor to city agencies to politicians or to newspapers. No matter how factual my points are and how rational and logical my arguments are nothing ever comes of it. Am I supposed to just give up and suffer what ever indignities are inflicted on me and every other citizen in the city. If someone out there has a way to be heard please share it with me so I can copy that methodology. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 03:46 PM

24,466 posts, read 34,295,014 times
And it extends to a state level and to a federal level, Ethel.
The country is run from the bottom up to benefit corporate interests and their lackies.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and give up the fight.

Love,

Lucy

Old 09-28-2012, 04:16 PM

14,065 posts, read 13,156,194 times
Darling Ethel, welcome to the forum. I love your post.

I totally, totally agree that 311 is useless. It was a great idea for people who are ignorant and helpless, providing an easy channel for things like heat complaints. But for any New Yorker who has acquired a pretty fair knowledge of how things work, 311 is rarely better than a dead end. Their staff is provided with a computer and they can only read what's on the computer; often the relevant numbers have been deliberately omitted. Personally, I see this as a true Bloomberg idea, that consciously results in cutting off access. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised they even had numbers to give you.

I can only suggest two things. If your goal is a completely personal one, like trying to collect information, I advise that you research, looking for telephone numbers as each question arises, and start your own rolodex. If your goal is to change things in the city - I have a different answer than I would have had a month ago. I'd now suggest that you see if you have any kind of neighborhood association. For instance, I think Lenox Hill and Turtle Bay have them. These groups seem to interact with local politicians, which ideally would at least eventually lead to your having someone's ear.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:15 PM

16,063 posts, read 11,322,036 times
I'm absolutely on edge awaiting your revelation that just needs to be a part of our city government!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:18 PM

14,065 posts, read 13,156,194 times
Apropos of making oneself heard, and prompting action, I love this story.

Fifth-grade girl stands up to Cranford committee over lack of crossing guards
Fifth-grade girl stands up to Cranford committee over lack of crossing guards | NJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: