Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:53 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
I can't understand how that pizza place continued to employ this loser after he'd ALREADY been arrested for committing breaking & entering and robbery ON THE JOB a few months earlier. Why wasn't he immediately fired? I hope the police question the pizza place manager as to how he/she could continue to allow this person to have access to residential buildings.
Did it say it say that his criminal record was known to employer? After all, it is a pizza delivery boy...I'm not sure they do background checks, let alone for a minor.

Either way, I don't think that the owner is liable in this case. That sounds like a frivolous law suit. That was the kid's behavior and the kid's behavior alone. He should soley be held accountable for what he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
[edit.]

Last edited by r small; 10-01-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 10-02-2012, 06:52 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I am a little confused. She yelled "get off me", and he did, but she said the whole"act" took 30 seconds, ???

He muffled her mouth, OK, the daughter didn't wake up??, but the bed never made any movement??? he was raping here, the bed never moved and the daughter slept thru it???

So he searched the hallways for un-locked doors, he found one, he opened the unlocked door, searched the rooms (the whole apartment, I am assuming) and BINGO, his lucky da!! he found a sleeping woman, (how convenient it wasn't a sleeping "big brut" of a man), and lucky for him, there she laid....sleeping????

Doesn't make sense, he went into an apartment that he never went into before, how did he not know, maybe even two men were in there, playing cards, or watching TV, something....or maybe a bunch of teens were playing video games, but he found a woman all by herself....

So after he does his thing, he goes back to work, how would the employer know what he just did.,

Something isn't right. I am going to re-read the story again

OK, I did.
The woman shared the 3 bedroom apartment with 2 other room mates, how convenient that they weren't home at the time of the incident.....How would he have know that that apartment was going to be empty, and the roommates were not going to be home. It wasn't just 1 room mate, but 2.....

Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
I find it obnoxious that we can't just condemn the rapist and express sympathy for the woman without talking about how her door was unlocked. I also agree with others who have taken issue with the idea that this is "transplant" behavior. If anything new transplants are extra paranoid. By contrast I used to live across the hall from two little old Dominican ladies who'd been there for decades in Washington Heights and routinely left their door not only unlocked but open.

Last edited by BinxBolling; 10-02-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I find it obnoxious that we can't just condemn the rapist and express sympathy for the woman without talking about how her door was unlocked. I also agree with others who have taken issue with the idea that this is "transplant" behavior. If anything new transplants are extra paranoid. By contrast I used to live across the hall from two little old Dominican ladies who'd been there for decades in Washington Heights and routinely left their door not only unlocked but open.
I have an aunt who lives in the Heights, everytime I visit her I see the same thing. The older people leave their door open all the time...

Old 10-02-2012, 08:34 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am a little confused. She yelled "get off me", and he did, but she said the whole"act" took 30 seconds, ???

He muffled her mouth, OK, the daughter didn't wake up??, but the bed never made any movement??? he was raping here, the bed never moved and the daughter slept thru it???

So he searched the hallways for un-locked doors, he found one, he opened the unlocked door, searched the rooms (the whole apartment, I am assuming) and BINGO, his lucky da!! he found a sleeping woman, (how convenient it wasn't a sleeping "big brut" of a man), and lucky for him, there she laid....sleeping????

Doesn't make sense, he went into an apartment that he never went into before, how did he not know, maybe even two men were in there, playing cards, or watching TV, something....or maybe a bunch of teens were playing video games, but he found a woman all by herself....

So after he does his thing, he goes back to work, how would the employer know what he just did.,

OK, I did.
The woman shared the 3 bedroom apartment with 2 other room mates, how convenient that they weren't home at the time of the incident.....How would he have know that that apartment was going to be empty, and the roommates were not going to be home. It wasn't just 1 room mate, but 2.....
Wow, are you REALLY questioning this? Um, you are aware that people break into homes all the time and are not sure what they will or will not walk into. There are stories where criminals who break into homes, with people STILL at home, and rob them, or worse yet harm them and rob them, etc. You are trying to apply logical thinking to someone who is immoral and illogical- he is a KNOWN thief and rapist. Why are you even attempting to exonerate the rapist and place any type of blame on the victim?

Kids are pretty sound sleepers, ever try to wake one up? Also, I'm sure she didn't want to have her daughter wake up for fear of what HE would do. Criminals are irrational and dangerous. God forbid her child woke up to that, screamed, and set of the guy and he lashes out at the child and kills her.

As for the criminals path through the home, I had an alarm installed in my condo and the installation guys said that criminals will go straight for the bedroom since that's where the "goods" are (and he was mainly taking about ME) . That's why motion detectors are placed in the hallway that leads to the bedroom(s) to detect movement and set off the alarm before they can reach the bedroom. I was asking them to place the motion sensor elsewhere (like by the door) and they advised against it because if the thief finds another way in, and can bypass the motion detector by the door (say come in via a window), they will *always* go for the bedroom.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I have an aunt who lives in the Heights, everytime I visit her I see the same thing. The older people leave their door open all the time...

It is an old school thing, we used to do that here in Brooklyn also, especially if it was hot, we would open our doors all the way and put a "door stop" to keep it open, the 2 old ladies across the hall from me did it also. We were on the first floor back then, and the we would get cross ventilation. We would wave hello to the other tenants that had to go upstairs. We would also dry our clothes on the racks and put them in the hallways also.

It was so different 20 years ago. Not like it is today. You really can't do that anymore, it really isn't smart, especially for single women.

Sometime even on the 4th floor where I am now, I will leave it open if I am doing various projects and need the hallway to do things....but i am a man, so no one is going to be bothering me any time soon......gotta love the look !!!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:

It was so different 20 years ago. Not like it is today. You really can't do that anymore, it really isn't smart, especially for single women.

Wasn't 20 years ago a highpoint in crime in NYC? Isn't it technically safer now?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
It is an old school thing, we used to do that here in Brooklyn also, especially if it was hot, we would open our doors all the way and put a "door stop" to keep it open, the 2 old ladies across the hall from me did it also. We were on the first floor back then, and the we would get cross ventilation. We would wave hello to the other tenants that had to go upstairs. We would also dry our clothes on the racks and put them in the hallways also.
Most people lived in the same building for years on end too, so you KNEW who all your neighbors were.

Quote:
I don't know anyone who does. Everyone I know has at least 3 locks on their door. My sister is so paranoid that she has a bell on one of the locks "just in case" and she lives in one of those quiet, nobody ever on the street neighborhoods.

Quote:
Sometime even on the 4th floor where I am now, I will leave it open if I am doing various projects and need the hallway to do things....but i am a man, so no one is going to be bothering me any time soon......gotta love the look !!!
Men are so freaking lucky. As long as you're under the age of 60 or so, you guys can walk the streets at 3:00 in the morning and NEVER have to worry about someone trying to kidnap or drag you into a van never to be seen again.

As long as you're not a young black man eating a bag of skittles in Florida, you'll have a 99% survival rate to make it home with no problems.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:

OK, I did.
Although I believe everything that the lady said, I did find some of what you said sketchy myself. I mean the way everything was set up was simply too "perfect" (for lack of a better term). I mean the kid walks into an unlocked apartment, and unbeknowlingly rapes a woman while she's asleep (apparently he had time to get an erection, pull down his pants, lift up her night gown, penetrate, have "sex" with her" when she all of sudden wakes up and starts fighting). Meanwhile her 7 y/o never heard a peep? And her two roomates just happen to not have been there? Hmm...Like I said, I believe her, but there are a lot of coinsidences there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City