Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
That being said, if it weren't a law before, how can you sue them now? And if that's such a concern then pass a new law that all pizzarias have to conduct background checks on pizza boys and allow them to attach the cost to deliveries.

But you can't make a law after a crime has been committed, then sue the establishment for the said crime before the law was ever enacted.
No, but can't you sue for negligence? Much in the same way if I don't shovel my walkway and someone slips and falls, I may just have a lawsuit on my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 PM

292 posts, read 704,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
true, Esp in this case. Also, People sometimes may have committed crimes, But never got caught for them-Unbeknownst to their employers and others, And people can also be unpredictable. Suppose he had no record and did this anyway. Lots of variables, And small businesses many times don't run a full check/drug test etc due to costs and time.
This kid's father OWNS the pizzeria where he worked. This kid was just arrested in August..since he is a minor, how would his father NOT know about his arrest? So how is anyone going to make the assertion that management was unaware that this little jagoff was preying on people in the buildings he had access to as a delivery boy?

I'd say she has a good case.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
This kid's father OWNS the pizzeria where he worked. This kid was just arrested in August..since he is a minor, how would his father NOT know about his arrest? So how is anyone going to make the assertion that management was unaware that this little jagoff was preying on people in the buildings he had access to as a delivery boy?

I'd say she has a good case.
Uh perhaps because his father didn't own the Pizzaria? The sources I read said that his cousin worked there and that was it.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
No, but can't you sue for negligence? Much in the same way if I don't shovel my walkway and someone slips and falls, I may just have a lawsuit on my hands.
Well technically you can sue for anything, but I'm not so sure her case would be rock solid. To my understanding the kid was charged for the previous crime, but never convicted. Without an actual conviction it would be tough to demand that an employer not hire someone based on an allegation. Then on top of that, there is no law that prevents the employer from hiring someone with such a conviction. I mean I think it's common sense not to, but there isn't anything legal prohibiting him from doing so.

That being said, maybe she should sue the police department?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I'm not sure this whole case has a lot to do with who can or can't get hired for whatever reason. The kid said so himself--he raped her because "he was feeling horny." He's just a lowlife, and he should be punished as an individual. Since he's a minor, his parents should get thrown in jail for a few weeks, too...since they did such a wonderful job of raising him.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Kid should be tried as an adult. Then put away for 50 years.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
She should have locked her door. This should be AUTOMATIC, especially if you have children.

Transplant *ish.

Probably thinks she's still on the nebraska farm she left.
She's lived in the building for 25 years. Did you not read the article?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
She's lived in the building for 25 years. Did you not read the article?
Whateva.

Just cause you have a doorman in the building doesn't guarantee "safety".

What if he steps away for a moment?

What if he's beaten up and overpowered, then what?

I know people have said they've left their doors open and continue to know people that do, but I thought most of this "trust" disappeared when the druggie scene got too large to control. I guess not.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Uh perhaps because his father didn't own the Pizzaria? The sources I read said that his cousin worked there and that was it.
The newspaper article I read yesterday stated that his father DOES own the pizzeria. That has to be why he wasn't fired after committing the first crime in August.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Kid should be tried as an adult. Then put away for 50 years.
He is being charged as an adult. Hope he lands in Gen Pop, and they find out that he raped a mother right next to her child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City