Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,240 times

Advertisements

The white-man stole my puppy dog!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You did! In reality, Irish, Italians, Jews, Greeks, Eastern Europeans, Arabs, etc are not white...but they magically became white over the years. Whites are actually British, Germans, Dutch, etc...but their numbers were decimated and in order to maintain power they bestowed the "honor" to other groups. As a result, the white population is way inflated and serves to maintain control/power, especially in NYC.

Put it this way: If people like Adam Sandler, with his brown skin, brillo pad hair, and arabic features can be white, who isn't white? The "white" term at this point has lost all meaning...it really means "You are not obviously black, asian, or an indigenous looking Hispanic".....everyone else is white!
Umm...how are the British white but the Irish are not? That makes zero sense. The Scots, Irish, Welsh, and English are all from the same stock. Celtic ppl are non-white????

Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Umm...how are the British white but the Irish are not? That makes zero sense. The Scots, Irish, Welsh, and English are all from the same stock. Celtic ppl are non-white????
He means in the past. A couple of decades ago certain Europeans were seen as less than until they graduated into white privilege. Google it

Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
How come I never see threads like this in the Chicago or Los Angeles forums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
SoborGuy, when will Asians be promoted the "white" status in NYC? I hope I can live to that era so I can walk out of my race inferiority to enjoy sOme white privilege before I perish in the dirty NYC subway.

Who knows? Asians aren't considered "minorities" in NYC for whatever reason, only Blacks and Hispanics are "minorities", even though they make up more the half the citys population when grouped together.

Last edited by DoomDan515; 10-01-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Pretty sure Irish & Italian folk are considered white these days bro. Except for a few Italians from the Jersey Shore that might be orange.

Quote:
This thread will turn ugly quickly, as the stupid comments are already coming out. Let's talk about FACTS, shall we:

1. NYC hasn't been white majority for 50+ years. If you strip out all the people who NYC considers "white" but the rest of the country does not, you realize it has been majority minority for over 50 years. Jews are white? Only in NYC! Irish and Italians were never white, they just magically became white...funny how that works.

2. As the city has become less "white" and more people of color, how has the crime trends gone? The city has become phenomenally safer and more attractive to live. We are now seeing the record low crimes rates ever in NYC, while whites continue to leave the city and people of color are growing. A reasonable deduction would then be that as whites leave, the city is becoming safer.

3. NYC's economy is doing better than the rest of the country, and there is no evidence to suggest it will get worse in the foreseebale future. As the white population continues to decline, the economy continues to improve.

Let's steer away from the idea that "whites" have been the majority in NYC....that hasn't been the case for 50+ years, and the "whites" that are here are not white at all! The actual whites (Dutch, Germans, British, etc) haven't had a major presence here since the Jews/Irish/Italians swarmed neighborhoods and the first ghettos were created. The real whites have been gone ever since.

Based on the current description of "whites", the city will never be 0% white until Jews decide to leave the city. At which point the "white" population will be about 15%, comprised mostly of elderly Italians who refuse to leave, and various middle American transplants, Eastern Europeans, Arabs, and Irish.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 AM

669 posts, read 1,273,817 times
I get what Sobroguy is trying to say some of you are strictly looking at skin color and the fact that certain groups are European. But socially groups like Italians, Jews, and Irish were not really considered full or real white ppl but the Euros who were here first the British, Germans, Dutch. Jews, Italians, and Irish were considered and inferior group of Europeans but since they started to dominate the European community here and since their skin color is white socially they became white and acceptable. Something other races will never be able to do because no matter what their skin color and features will always be too different.

But as far as whites no longer being the majority, yea their no longer the majority vs all majority's together but their still the majority out of all the groups individually.

And we have white transplants and Eastern European immigrants coming in so no need to fear any racist/scared white folks out there who may be worried.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Put it this way: If people like Adam Sandler, with his brown skin, brillo pad hair, and arabic features can be white, who isn't white? The "white" term at this point has lost all meaning...it really means "You are not obviously black, asian, or an indigenous looking Hispanic".....everyone else is white!
Skin color isn't that far from white, much closer to white than brown. As for myself, I vary with seasons. Go from medium brown to a beige color. Some Italian and Greek Americans I went to school with were darker than me, as well as many Hispanics. And I know a hispanic who's lighter in complexion than her white non-hispanic husband

Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
nei I agree with you..which lends further credence to the reality that being "white" means nothing other than "you don't look black, asian, or indigenous Hispanic." The bar for being "white" is basically so low anyone is "white" these days and it has no meaning. I went to school with plenty of ethnic whites who were darker than me but they got to use the "white" moniker while I did not. That has since changed because now many Hispanics are white too..magic!

The point is, those who fear the end of the world is coming for NYC because whites are declining don't know the truth: the actual whites of any substantial numbers have been gone from NYC for 50+ years. The "whites" you see now are a 2nd rate substitutes to maintain the illusion of white majority status...nothing more. They were never white but were reluctantly bestowed the title to maintain numbers/power.

And now that the substitute whites are leaving, and Hispanics growing, over the past decade "white Hispanic" has become more popular...funny how that works huh? And all the while as the "white" population continues to decline and people of color are increasing, crime rates are dropping to record lows, the city is cleaner, more livable and more attractive...but those facts and realities don't jive with the brown/black people are horrible narrative. When you believe such nonsense, facts don't matter. All that matters is whites are leaving therefore the city must be doomed!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 AM

66 posts, read 181,109 times
People of mixed-heritage now make up the majority in the United States.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Technically we are all mixed race...but nobody wants to talk about that either. Too much ignorance/anger/denial/money/power involved to actually have that honest conversation. Imagine if we all agree we are all mixed in one form or another? That would mean we are all the same...and then what would happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City