Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:54 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times

Advertisements

In 25 years, whites will probably make up less than 40% of the population (and declining) and the majority will be concentrated in SI and Manhattan.

For most of its history NYC was a very Euro-centric city for obvious reason). Large waves of immigration from Europe from the early 19th through the early 20th century shaped the NYC of today. In what ways will NYC be different apart from the obvious changes (e.g. food). What are some areas of emphasis that European culture emphasized that will not hold going forward? Although Germans were different from Italians who were different from Russians there was certainly more commonality than between a Chinese and a Pakistani and a West Indian.

I don't think this is discussed enough. Not in a 'is this good or bad' argument but in terms of the institutional and cultural underpinnings of NYC.

Again, this isn't a "is this good or bad" as most will try to approach the thread in this way. lol

Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
NYC is already 33% Nonhispanic White. It's only 44% White if you include White Hispanics (and I bet a portion of them don't necessarily have European roots)

Old 09-30-2012, 09:05 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
In 10-15 years New York City is gonna be 0% white.

Last edited by DoomDan515; 09-30-2012 at 09:15 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
In heavily non-white New Orleans, many of the 'authorities' were in on the blasting of safe deposit boxes in the Uptown banks, the stealing of Cadillacs from the dealership, the planned looting of the Art Museum (thwarted by the fact that the National Guard bivouacked there). For that reason, the residents of Audubon Place (gated...next to Tulane) flew in ex-Mossad paramilitary to guard their neighborhood from the 'Authorities'.

New York has a far greater cache of cultural treasures. I'm just wondering what will happen when "They" get more control of all the stuff White People have deposited in the cultural institutions of NYC.

I think we've had previews of the new order of things, like when Giuliani had mosquito spray blasting buildings and people in Manhattan (I'm not accusing anyone of taking kickbacks for unnecessary and hazardous stuff or anything, you understand...). And when a recent mayor confiscated the wonderful community gardens, built on deserted lots, and sold those lots to their developer buddies. I saw that as presaging a new and not-so-nice era.

I foresee massive sales of cultural treasures, with the money 'mysteriously disappearing'. And that's before things get really bad, and whole troves simply go missing. And I think we can expect to see more and more private property being confiscated for Eminent Domain schemes which benefit only crooks and their politician enablers.

NYC will slowly become irrelevant in World Finance (already happening, btw...), and will slowly become another Detroit (its population being too toxic, by that point, for the possibility of any sort of later renaissance).

Oh, and I believe that schools are already being renamed for nonwhites, and, if I remember correctly, at least one statue of a founding New Yorker has been taken down. That trend will surely accelerate.\

And wasn't there something last week, about a local judge forcing the New York Fire Department to dumb-down its entrance exams, in order to admit more 'minorities'? You'd think that after the supreme heroism FDNY exhibited during 9/11, nobody would dare try to 'fix' something so obviously not-broken. But that's what comes with shifting demographics.

Remind me to stay out of tall buildings in NYC, from now on.

One more thing: If some sort of cataclysmic (natural or manufactured) event occurs, I would hate to be stuck in Manhattan, with all those unarmed White People, with no way out, except by getting past hordes of 'others'. We've had tiny hints of what it may be like. The LA Riots and Katrina come to mind.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,677 times
I think toronto is actually a city to look to as a sucess in terms of a city that has become or is nearing becoming a white minority city.

As toronto's multiculturalism has increased so has it's pressence on the world stage while keeping a very high standard of living. 40 years ago toronto was by far a white majority city at the same it had no where near the influence it does now. The idea that the transition from majority to minority white is always a negative is false.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
I know for a fact the white flight is not over because many native white New Yorkers will eventually move to surrounding areas and townships or move out the state all together. Even though many whites are moving in and towards the center of the city, the growth of whites in the center of the city can not supplement the growth of whites citywide.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 AM

146 posts, read 190,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Yeah and 90% immigrants

Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Except for those who control the city.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:55 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
In heavily non-white New Orleans, many of the 'authorities' were in on the blasting of safe deposit boxes in the Uptown banks, the stealing of Cadillacs from the dealership, the planned looting of the Art Museum (thwarted by the fact that the National Guard bivouacked there). For that reason, the residents of Audubon Place (gated...next to Tulane) flew in ex-Mossad paramilitary to guard their neighborhood from the 'Authorities'.

New York has a far greater cache of cultural treasures. I'm just wondering what will happen when "They" get more control of all the stuff White People have deposited in the cultural institutions of NYC.

I think we've had previews of the new order of things, like when Giuliani had mosquito spray blasting buildings and people in Manhattan (I'm not accusing anyone of taking kickbacks for unnecessary and hazardous stuff or anything, you understand...). And when a recent mayor confiscated the wonderful community gardens, built on deserted lots, and sold those lots to their developer buddies. I saw that as presaging a new and not-so-nice era.

I foresee massive sales of cultural treasures, with the money 'mysteriously disappearing'. And that's before things get really bad, and whole troves simply go missing. And I think we can expect to see more and more private property being confiscated for Eminent Domain schemes which benefit only crooks and their politician enablers.

NYC will slowly become irrelevant in World Finance (already happening, btw...), and will slowly become another Detroit (its population being too toxic, by that point, for the possibility of any sort of later renaissance).

Oh, and I believe that schools are already being renamed for nonwhites, and, if I remember correctly, at least one statue of a founding New Yorker has been taken down. That trend will surely accelerate.\

And wasn't there something last week, about a local judge forcing the New York Fire Department to dumb-down its entrance exams, in order to admit more 'minorities'? You'd think that after the supreme heroism FDNY exhibited during 9/11, nobody would dare try to 'fix' something so obviously not-broken. But that's what comes with shifting demographics.

Remind me to stay out of tall buildings in NYC, from now on.

One more thing: If some sort of cataclysmic (natural or manufactured) event occurs, I would hate to be stuck in Manhattan, with all those unarmed White People, with no way out, except by getting past hordes of 'others'. We've had tiny hints of what it may be like. The LA Riots and Katrina come to mind.
This sounds so stupid, I'm not sure how to reply to it. But I will say this, those "cultural treasures" that you are so worried about, where do you think they came from? They were taken from some non-white culture. Alot of it from African, Asian and Middle Eastern countries.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Tell me something I didn't know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City