Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:32 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times

Advertisements

To me:

western half of Soundview = Hunts Point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
I don't think they are similar at all...the Western half of Soundview is nicer than Hunts point, as it is more residential and green, with lots of retail under the train station. It is far more pedestrian friendly and nowhere near as industrial as Hunts point, or isolated for that matter. If you are referring ONLY to the people, then I would agree with that....but everything else is very dissimilar from Hunts Point. And since we are on the topic of Soundview, there is a new park opening shortly along the Bronx River as part of the Greenway called Concrete Plant Park..it looks awesome..check you the before and after, and learn more about the park: The Architect's Newspaper About the City of New York/Parks and Recreation

Old 11-03-2008, 02:15 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
With regard to Soundview, I have to agree that the area nearest to Parkchester doesn't seem all that bad. Many female Parkchester residents (myself included) have walked that stretch from Parkchester to the shopping "mall" - Old Navy, K-Mart, Toys R Us - and have never felt unsafe. The part below Bruckner is a lot less appealing and has a very depressing, desolated feel. However, Classon Point is far more interesting with decent homes (several were very nice, actually) side by side with others with more of a quaint but ramshackle feel. There was also a Bronx Botanical Garden sponsored community garden, which I am always happy to see. A friend and I walked around for several hours this afternoon (we wanted to finally check out the new condos and the new parks along the river that are slated to be opening next summer). People were very friendly telling us the best places to see the best views, etc. (One guy did tell us to be careful at a certain stretch along the river because back in the day, unsavory guys would hang out at certain spots). While the condos were set in lovely surroundings, and had great features like huge lawns with picnic tables and BBQ pits, great parking, playground, solar panel lighting on the grounds, etc. - they didn't seem to be of top quality construction. However, you cannot beat those views. We walked along the bike path along the river - and two cop cars rode past. I sense that this whole area is being given a lot of attention and is "cleaning up its act".

The only problem I would have is the total lack of amenities near by and no subway station (it was either on this thread or another that others were of the same opinion). But again, the views are worth a LOT more than what those condos are going for! Not sure I would want to invest there at this stage, but I can't wait for the parks and bike paths to be finished.

Excellent shots. Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:34 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Agreed...the place looks so serene and green..I have to get back out there.it has been awhile.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 PM

16 posts, read 86,931 times
I was a kid, about 5 years old?, when my family first moved in the first section of the "Bronxdale Projects"! It's been awhile and my memory isn't that great when remembering dates, months and years, but I know we lived in "first building" on the corner of "Rosedale and Watson Aves", 1735 or 1736? Anyway, at that time, I never knew "Soundview" existed until many years later! This was between, maybe, '53 & '55? From my living room window, I saw the second section of Bronxdale being built and saw the beginnings of the land clearing for "Rosedale Gardens and Monroe Projects"! Bruckner Blvd was made of "cobblestone bricks", Rosedale and other streets,in all directions, were all dirt roads! Everything north of Soundview, basically, was a "landfill"! As a kid, then, I never heard of crime, but I did know of a small group of three Black Brothers, who cleared the streets, like the Spades did in the '70's, everytime they walked through the neighborhood! They must've been from "Clason Point or Soundview" because of the direction they came from? Before and during the "White Flight" era, as far as I knew, every neighborhood except for a few individual "Archie Bunker" types who lived there, was friendly, but then I viewed everything through the eye's of a child! It wasn't until, before, the mid '60's that I felt I wanted to get away and out of the Bronx! The people that moved into the area were a different breed of person, not so much as to ethnicity, but of attitude! I, generally, stayed away from the neighborhood thugs by going off somewhere by myself. The Bronx River Parkway side of the Bronx Zoo was my favorite place to go because it was mostly a desolate, wooded forrest! Castle Hill was just about to be built, but it was a nice area to explore! When my Parent's moved my two Sister's and myself to the third section of Bronxdale, things were tame, compared to now, and because of my NY Post paper route, I became very familiar with Soundview and with the occasional deadbeat, that wouldn't pay their bill, I had no problems or trouble! I liked being in Soundview better than Bronxdale and Castle Hill combined....especially in the Summer, there was a good feeling of respect among the tennents for each other and I never heard anyone arguing!

I never joined a gang or got in any trouble, because my Parent's saw to that! I feared them more than I did the gangs! I left in the early '80's and never looked back! I have, on ocassion, made return visits to see my Mother and siblings, but after my Mother passed, it was hard to even think about visiting my relative's who still live there!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times
The Bronx as a whole, has improved dramatically since the late 70s, 80s. Especially the South Bronx...it's much better now than back then. Is it still "hood", yes. But it's better now than back in the days.

I remember all the burnt out buildings and lots of bricks from buildings torn down. It was bleek at best. The Bronx looked like it was literally in the middle of a war zone. If someone had told you we were in WWIII, it wouldn't have been hard to believe, walking down streets of the South Bronx.
http://www.whoknew.us/images/bronx.jpg (broken link)

**This corner can be easily confused for one in Iraq.

This is the Bronx I remember as a Kid when we used to go to the Bronx to visit family.
I just went last month on a tour to visit family, and the Bronx has changed for the better. It is amazing to see how far the Bronx has come. And the Bronx is going to keep getting better.

My cousin was complaining (21 y.o.) how bad his hood was. How dangerous. I was like, if you think this is bad, you would've cried back in the lates 70s and early 80s.

Last edited by NYer75; 04-16-2010 at 08:44 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 7,889 times
Default what about monroe houses? bad or decent?

bad or decent?

Old 06-28-2017, 02:29 PM

375 posts, read 323,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
The Bronx as a whole, has improved dramatically since the late 70s, 80s. Especially the South Bronx...it's much better now than back then. Is it still "hood", yes. But it's better now than back in the days.

I remember all the burnt out buildings and lots of bricks from buildings torn down. It was bleek at best. The Bronx looked like it was literally in the middle of a war zone. If someone had told you we were in WWIII, it wouldn't have been hard to believe, walking down streets of the South Bronx.
http://www.whoknew.us/images/bronx.jpg (broken link)

**This corner can be easily confused for one in Iraq.

This is the Bronx I remember as a Kid when we used to go to the Bronx to visit family.
I just went last month on a tour to visit family, and the Bronx has changed for the better. It is amazing to see how far the Bronx has come. And the Bronx is going to keep getting better.

My cousin was complaining (21 y.o.) how bad his hood was. How dangerous. I was like, if you think this is bad, you would've cried back in the lates 70s and early 80s.
Yup, thats how I remember most of NYC growing up actually, lol. We've come a long way!

Old 06-28-2017, 05:50 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,810 times
I always found it interesting that Monroe Projects was built at the same time, same location, and with the same architectural plans as Rosedale Gardens but the four buildings of Rosedale Gardens was given Mitchell-lama cooperative status while Monroe was named public housing

Old 06-29-2017, 10:28 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
I actually kind of like Soundview, people seemed friendly there and there's a nice big park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City