Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM

317 posts, read 819,515 times

Advertisements

I 'm new to the city and coming from Miami, FL I have to say that I haven't had a problem with Roaches & Rats, which is something you think of when it comes to NYC. Actually in Miami I constantly saw lizards in my home along with Palmetto Bugs (flying Roaches) & small Spiders. I have seen a few rats in the subway, but no roaches so far, Maybe they are hiding until winter..lol

Anyone in NYC that doesn't come across rodents much...Oh and I did check the bedbugregistry for my building and luckily its not on the list and I haven't woken up with buys..

Any strange encounters with creatures while living in the City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 01:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Wel ome to New York. Roachescand rats are part of the flora and fauna of NYC.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Wel ome to New York. Roachescand rats are part of the flora and fauna of NYC.
I havent got the full Welcome yet I because I havent seen one yet...lol

Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
If I lived in NYC I would be willing to accept roaches and rats (within reason). But bed bugs would just drive me away.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
If I lived in NYC I would be willing to accept roaches and rats (within reason). But bed bugs would just drive me away.
I agree...roaches seem to hid and then scurry away when people are around and rats are big enough to trap easily..but bed bugs are no joke..not to mention they detect the carbon dioxide your exhaling when your asleep and then attack..I hope never to come across them.. I did check bedbugregistry and many 4 star hotels were flagged so i guess you cant escape them.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,875 times
In my 10 years of living in NYC I had rats in 2 different apartments. One in a loft in Soho and one in an apt on the LES. Roaches, they are sort of inevidable. No matter how clean I keep my apartments, there's always a building or two I have lived in where roaches were a problem no matter what I did.

It's part of living here. A gross part, but still a part...

Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM

156 posts, read 285,617 times
Good heavens, Lynne, what did you DO? And did you identify things that those buildings should have been doing to prevent this problem in the first place?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,875 times
Well the first rat we think got in somehow through the front door. They were demolishing a building right next to ours. We never had any problems before or after that one time. I chased the rat around hitting it with a broom throughout the entire apt. Eventually I knocked it out. (And made a huge mess in the process)

Being an animal lover, I felt bad, but you wouldn't believe the adrenalin when you are in that situation.

The 2nd rat was crawling around between the walls in the Soho loft. My roommate set a trap under the kitchen sink and every night we would hear it go off and he would run downstairs to get the rat. It was never in there, it always escaped. It took us like a month to get that sucker.

Roaches were never usually a problem until they renovated someones apartment above/below/next door to mine. Then they always seemed to be more prevalent.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
Roaches were horrible in my apartment when we first moved in. We had the exterminator come in twice to do full treatments including boric acid, roach food stuff that kills them, roach traps, spraying, everything. After staying in a hotel for a few days, we only saw a couple a day for a few days. we killed everyone we saw. Then all we saw were babies, still killing them the second we saw them. and now we don't see any at all (knocks on wood)

and we are supppper clean. We have absolutley no food out that isn't sealed. after we pull any food or drinks out we wipe the counters. we sweep and mop multiple times a day. the apartment is spotless. this is why we got so mad when we still had roaches even after we were being so clean as to not have them. but they were in there from before we moved in so there wasn't much we could have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City