Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:36 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times

Advertisements

[QUOTE=Elvira Black;1685553]But if you have a chauffeur, who cares? (relatively speaking, that is).[/quote]

Even with a chauffeur, you're still in the middle of trying to get somewhere and not moving or crawling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 PM

274 posts, read 320,284 times
I agree. Buy a car. It's true, he will be going against traffic so it shouldn't be bad. If you have even more money to burn I suppose you could hire a driver.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
Well, if he has a flex schedule, he could always commute off peak/non rush hour. Can he do any telecommuting or other options to cut his travel time down? And of course with the laptop, cell phone etc in the car you could certainly get a head's start on the day.

I cannot believe it--my bubble is burst--even someone who can afford a great place in Manhattan can still be faced with endless NYC style dilemmas! (lol)

Honestly, I think choosing your residence based on being a tad closer or farther to the Connecticuit commute would be a bit...weird if you'd consider that a dealbreaker. But what do I know?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:03 AM

15 posts, read 34,373 times
Hi everyone! Thanks for all you replies and advice.
Re the commute: no, unfortunately he doesn't have a flex schedule - he has to be at work from 7:30 am, everyday. He works pretty long hours so he won't be getting off at 5:00 pm.

Honestly, I don't know how much it costs to hire a driver in NY but I am desperate NOT to live outside Manhattan so I'm willing to sacrifice and convince my bf that it's a great option! I hope that we will be able to afford a driver for weekdays to-from work for him.

We currently live in a 1926 building and our apartment has all the original art deco features so, yes, we would love something similar with character and discreet charm I am not a fan of glitzy gold high rise steel and glass But in NY I think we would have to be quite high up if we want an apartment you can "breathe" in.

Hmmm..we are moving to NY primarily because of my bf job, and yes, we would love to make the most of it and consider this as an exciting opportunity but I have to consider his commute. He will be doing it everyday and working in a very stressful environment. It seems unfair to me to just live where I would have a great time hanging out during the day My job is not half as stressful or demanding.

Oh well, I guess money really CAN'T buy you everything!!! Well, unless we buy a helicopter

Old 10-09-2007, 01:26 AM

Oh another thing - minor issue I hope - we have a cat. And he's coming with us. Is that a problem in terms of renting in NY?

Old 10-09-2007, 03:20 AM

There are prewar highrise buildings; most I believe on the Upper West Side like the Dakota, etc. but I don't know where that puts you commute-wise. The commute home should be "easier" because it'll be after rush hour. I believe the mayor is pushing for a commuter tax in order to relieve some of the congestion in Manhattan, for what it's worth.

Cats are usually not as big of an issue as dogs, by far.

I say, buy the helecopter (lol)!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
The Dakota is NOT a high rise. The Dakota is absolutely glorious (one of my high school classmates lived there) and the apartments RARELY come on the market. When they do they're start at the $7-8 million range.

By definition, pre-war buildings are NOT high rises.

I think, before you feel you have to be up so high to 'breathe' you need to see some apartments. See pre-war, post-war - there's a HUGE difference in the feel.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 AM

True, Viralmd, I guess you wouldn't call them high rises, but I assume that an upper floor would give you a terrific view, no? But you know what I mean--there's some more classic buildings like this but I can't remember more of the names off the tip of my brain.

I also imagine some of these pre-war buildings do have sublets available. My g/f rented a studio in Tudor City, for example, with a great East River view.

Also agreed--need to see some firsthand for sure.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:19 AM

Definitely agree - I do intend to do some thorough research before we decide what we rent but the tips you guys gave me here will be quite useful in defining the area I'll focus on.
Oh and ofcourse my bf and I need to settle the "commute" debate He hates flying so the helicopter option didn't go down too well lol

I'm glad a cat won't be an issue - in London it's very hard to find a rental place that allows pets.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 AM

The cat may be an issue in some buildings with a strict "no pets" clause, but generally speaking it's dogs that are more of a problem. Even "no pets" buildings may allow you to have a cat--depends though. Once you have the animal in your apt, I think you're generally ok though either way.

I guess my commuting point was that Manhattan is a very tiny island with major roadways and bridges all over the place. So living on 59th vs. 10th Street may not make a whole heckuva lot of difference in your commuting time, esp by car. If you have to be at work at 7:30 and most people have to be there by 9, you'll have a jump start, though traffic may still be a bit of an issue, but that's NYC. Can't escape that really in most cases. Connecticut is probably closer than a lot of other places like Long Island, New Jersey etc (though it depends on what part of the suburb you live or work in), and I don't know the proximity of his Connecticut work locale vis a vis Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City