Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:11 AM

4 posts, read 23,006 times

Advertisements

I am currently renting out my 2-family home to a few people, I divided the top 2 floors into 2 rooms each and 1 apartment in my finished basement. So basically I have a "rooming house". I want to evict a tenant without being penalized for having illegal apartments. I am skipping the non-payment preceding since I know they will probably accuse me of having illegal apartments, so I am taking them to court for a holdover case. Will my case be dismissed on the grounds my unit is illegal? How long will it take to get them out? I cannot afford to pay heavy fines so I am looking to get through with this as soon and painlessly possible.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Is your goal in evicting your tenant to return your illegal rooming house to a legal 2 family? Does it thus include holdover actions against all the other" roomers?"

Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 AM

No, I just want one couple to move out. I have no intentions of converting it back, and I would like to avoid having to tell a judge I have illegal units.

Would the tenants be able to bring this up as a defense in court?

I know holdover cases and different from non-payment, so im hoping I can remove them quickly.

Also, does it matter that they have a 2 year old child?

Old 10-08-2012, 06:25 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
In that case, I think you can rest assured it WILL come out. Of course, a savvy tenant will bring this up in court.
I think a judge will take a pretty jaundiced view of any landlord wanting to toss out a family with a two year old so he can continue to rent illegally to others.

I don't condone what you are doing but if I were in your shoes I would probably make the tenants an offer to move out quietly. It would seem that once you try any method that involves a court you will open up a painful can of worms for yourself.

You DO know that even if you dodge this bullet the subject will likely come up again.
You can't really expect the courts ever to help you to behave in violation of law.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:27 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLandLord View Post
No, I just want one couple to move out. I have no intentions of converting it back, and I would like to avoid having to tell a judge I have illegal units.

I know holdover cases and different from non-payment, so im hoping I can remove them quickly.

You subdivided it going against building code, And the tenants certainly can use this in court.

I would hope you at least have proper egress somehow for the people living there in case of a fire. We hate hearing about illegal rooming house/subdivision fires where people slowly burned alive so a landlord can make some bucks.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
If you are renting out an illegal basement apt and trying to evict a tenant in court, you will doom yourself and open a can of worms. It WILL come out in court, as it will be the only defense the tenant has, and if they have an attorney you will be totally screwed. I do NOT recommend going to court, with the preferable solution playing the nice guy and paying them X amount to leave. Just so you know, if the basement is illegal (and you know it is), the tenant will get all rent back since they starting renting, plus moving expenses to another apt. You will then get violations from the city, and they will make you return the apt to its original conditions = $$$$$$

Keep that in mind when you figure out how much to pay them to get them out without going to court. And I would also like to repeat D. Scott's comment above: I really hope that if you do have a basement apt, that there are at least 2 means of egress in case of a fire. That's the very least you should do.

I also rent an illegal basement apt, however I have 3 means of egress (direct backyard access, main entrance under the staircase, and entrance to the internal hallway), as well as 3 full size windows in the unit, with smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. It has better egress than every other apt!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
OP: "Can I get away with something illegally and can you guys tell me how to do it?"

LMAO

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLandLord View Post

Not only will it come out in court and you have to pay the tenants all the rent they paid, plus huge fines, the city will also come in and destroy the basement's flooring to make sure it's uninhabitable again in the future.

Your entire place is illegal. Why would you get the courts involved? Also, most housing judges have a problem evicting families with kids in a winter city.

Are they paying rent? What's the problem?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times
Like others have said. It will be cheaper to pay them to get out of your place than to take them to court.

In any case, don't rent an illegal unit ever again. Because If do, it's gonna be dejavu all over again for you.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 PM

lol no no im not asking how to do something illegal, just trying to avoid paying huge fines.

they have 2 means of egress, one door to the backyard and the other inside the house that eventually leads them outside.

Ok so i understand it will come out in court, but will the judge dismiss the case?
If so I guess i can make an agreement to have them leave soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: