Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,097 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Hilton Head, SC because I am sick of the small town. I've only lived here 2 years and am ready to go. I want to move up north and am looking into Philly, NJ, and Boston. Where in NY is good for a single, young proffessional. I like the city life and would like to be close but not IN the city. Any thoughts????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 01:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Well, I'm sort of confused..... do you want to be in NY? Because Philly, Boston, and NJ aren't in NY. Kind of close, but not the same state.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,097 times
I know they are all different states, silly. I just don't have a particular preference right now. I can see how what I wrote could be confusing. I just know it will be one of those places. Just trying to get imput on any of those areas.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:00 PM

306 posts, read 1,619,876 times
I've never been there personally (will get there one day!), but I've known A LOT of friends, former students of mine, ex-colleagues, etc., who have moved to Boston and loved it. It's got its slums and problems, etc., but is apparently a very vibrant place for people who love the big city. Very strong sense of identity, too, of being a unique place in the increasingly all-too-homogenous American landscape. Tons of variety in what to do, living choices, etc., from what I hear. High prices, to be sure, but they've got to be better than NYC. Don't let the winter-warnings scare you off. Even in Buffalo, where I grew up, there was always a lot to do in winter. And cozying up at your favorite coffee house, tavern, restaurant, etc., makes for close friendships and a deeper sense of belonging than you get in warmer, everyone's-in-their-air-conditioned-bubble parts of the country. Great summers, too.

Philly I'd be real careful about. A lot of slums, crime, worries about crime, not too many unwrecked/unabanonded places left, etc. This is tragically sad, because it certainly was a stately city, and all the dysfunction that makes it dangerous is just plain heartbreaking (and infuriating) to see. You can find or create a fine life in Philly, but it's going to be narrowly hemmed in by the very reasonable fear of very violent crime.

NJ might have some vibrant areas near-ish NYC, but certainly Newark, Jersey City, etc., have a lot of the same problems that Philly does.

Doubtless, better-informed others will chime in here, esp. about Philly & NJ. This IS a very helpful set of people. At the same time, have you tried forums about/dedicated to Boston, Philly, & NJ in particular?

Best of luck in your choice!

Old 10-16-2006, 07:44 AM

480 posts, read 2,828,792 times
In NYC, try Brooklyn or Queens. Or maybe try Westchester, if you have the money.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:05 PM

38 posts, read 144,664 times
Default hey hilton head

I wish I could switch places with you for a year!

Anyway forget Westchester, N.Y ,too pricy and way too boring, it's just a big suburb.

No on Philly, unless you like living in the 70's, Archie Bunker all the way.

Take a trip to Boston or try Hoboken N.J. it's 30 minutes from Manhattan
and also has it's own vibe and culture.

Of course the best place next to Manhattan is Chicago, if you could handle the weather.

good luck and sorry about the Philly comments

Old 10-27-2006, 08:50 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
Quote:
...close but not IN the city
... is what everybody wants and is, therefore, the most expensive unless it's a slum. That said, for the past 20 years more than a few former slums around NYC have become hot properties full of young, brave (or foolish) professionals with the money to rennovate and no young children to worry about. Parts of Brooklyn which once were awful are now nice or on their way to being nice. You may, may, want to look at some of these areas if you're looking to buy or rent something reasonable. Be forewarned, what is reasonable in NYC is outrageous elsewhere, however if you've wisely chosen the right neighborhood you could retire in 90% of the US with what you'll make in ten years or so of appreciation. Choose poorly and you turn to dust and crumble to the floor.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:07 PM

233 posts, read 906,518 times
Default Decent enough...

Other areas to consider too:

Pelham section of the Bronx.

Throgs Neck Section of the Bronx.

Various Brownstones in Harlem.

Broadway in the Bronx, going towards Yonkers.

Park Slope in Brooklyn is nice, but expensive.

Ozone Park Queens.

Rosedale Queens.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:00 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Boston prices are as high as they are in NYC. Not much difference, just a smaller town with much colder winters.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,044 times
Default No one mentioned Long Island

Long Island offers all that you are looking for. Close to the city, but not in the city. And, Long Island has plenty of beaches, wineries, and lots of other things to do. The only drawback is the cost. Rent and real estate is expensive.

But look into Long Island, it may be just what you're looking for.

-Bill

Last edited by TheLongIslandGuy; 10-28-2006 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City