Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times

Advertisements

Let's not forget, the landlords weren't forced to have Rent Controlled/Stabilized buildings. They made a choice to do so. If they don't like it, they can simply sell their building and not deal with it anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
It's too bad that the law has to convert mere greedy landlords into criminally murderous thugs.
Quote:
even to wish death on the low rent paying tenant.
It is a double shame that people are forced to become landlords against their will and be thus transported from people to monsters.
Gotta love landlords who whine about "the system."

Also gotta love the conceit of landlords being FORCED "to wish death" on the people who support them.

God, even Al Capone didn't blame the system for making him a murderous wretch. He did it because he wanted money and power.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I've heard of this in a case recently from a friend in Brooklyn, where the landlord didn't cash the rent checks for 5 months, then tried to cash them all at once. When one of the tenant's checks bounced because they weren't holding 5x the month's rent in their checking account, eviction process began. The landlord wanted to get everyone out, had even offered $ that had been refused, and this was his next attempt.
Was the eviction successful?

I haven't written a check to a landlord in YEARS. I only pay in postal money orders, so I don't have to worry about this type of stuff. It happened to me ONE time and that was it. I pay all my other bills online.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Also gotta love the conceit of landlords being FORCED "to wish death" on the people who support them.
Support them? Ha! In the case of low rent paying RC/RS tenants, the issue at hand is that the rent they pay DOESN'T "support" the landlord. It doesn't even begin to cover the electric bill. How can ANYONE in their right mind justify some tenant paying $500-$600 in rent for a 1, 2, or 3 bedroom apartment in today's world?

Not even in other States where rents are much cheaper than NY's do you see such low rents such as you see in NY under the RC/RS law.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 PM

393 posts, read 782,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Correction KK, Rent Control/Rent Stabilized Landlords are a special bunch. But ask yourself why? Just know that exclusively Landlords of Rent Control and Rent Stabilization tenants have to resort to such extremes, even to wish death on the low rent paying tenant. That's the "monster" NYC Rent Control laws creates.

Landlords of free market apartments DON'T have to resort to such extremes and wish death on the tenant. All they have to do is if the tenant is a deadbeat, NOT renew the lease when it expires and the Landlord's headache goes away.

HOWEVER, in the twisted world of NYC Rent Control/RS, that same deadbeat tenant is ENTITLED to get his lease renewed despite the Landlord's wish. And the problem persist. Hence why ONLY Rent Control/Rent Stabilization Landlords go to those extremes. Thank Rent Stabilization for making your life a living hell!
Oh man, you must be a joy to rent from. Like Kefir King said, nobody is twisting your arm to be a landlord if you don't like the rules. What's the matter? You weren't smart enough to do anything else with your life?

Anyway, most rent stabilized tenants are not deadbeats. In fact, it looks the OP is just trying to pay his rent and his landlord is the real deadbeat here.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
nobody is twisting your arm to be a landlord if you don't like the rules.
Funny thing is that's the #1 response all Pro-Rent Stabilization advocates use to "justify" their position. So you ask why Landlords complain about low rents from RC/RS tenants? Well, the same reason you have RC/RS tenants complaining every year at the RGB vote meeting about rent is too damn high and "zero rent increase". And these are the very same people that pay dirt cheap rent. Go figure. Those are the ones with the picket signs hollering like uncivilized people. Very classy!

Ok, so let me get this right...it's NOT ok for a landlord to complain about the Rent Stabilization system because he knew what he was getting himself into when he purchased the building but it's OK for RS tenants who knew from day one that they were renting a RS apartment with rent increases percentages that vary up and down every year, to complain about rising rents or the percentages being too high?

Yeah ok..nice double standard. Sorry I don't buy that BS defense of "landlords knew what they were getting themselves into". As a landlord with some market and some RS tenants in the Bronx, despite me "knowing" what I was getting myself into, that doesn't mean I have to be passive and become complacent with these unfair and stupid RS laws. I have every right to complain and fight for change and fairness and demand a complete reform of the RS system so that it's a win-win for both landlord and tenant. If RS tenants can complain about "high rents" than I can complain about "low rents".

The sad part is that at the end of the day, the low rent RS suffers due to minimal maintenance to the apartment. The Landlord will do the BARE MINIMUM maintenance in the apartment. Sloppy work done on purpose that translates to a big F U to the RS tenant. LOL. Remember, you get what you pay for!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:37 PM

393 posts, read 782,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Funny thing is that's the #1 response all Pro-Rent Stabilization advocates use to "justify" their position. So you ask why Landlords complain about low rents from RC/RS tenants? Well, the same reason you have RC/RS tenants complaining every year at the RGB vote meeting about rent is too damn high and "zero rent increase". And these are the very same people that pay dirt cheap rent. Go figure. Those are the ones with the picket signs hollering like uncivilized people. Very classy!

Ok, so let me get this right...it's NOT ok for a landlord to complain about the Rent Stabilization system because he knew what he was getting himself into when he purchased the building but it's OK for RS tenants who knew from day one that they were renting a RS apartment with rent increases percentages that vary up and down every year, to complain about rising rents or the percentages being too high?

Yeah ok..nice double standard. Sorry I don't buy that BS defense of "landlords knew what they were getting themselves into". As a landlord with some market and some RS tenants in the Bronx, despite me "knowing" what I was getting myself into, that doesn't mean I have to be passive and become complacent with these unfair and stupid RS laws. I have every right to complain and fight for change and fairness and demand a complete reform of the RS system so that it's a win-win for both landlord and tenant. If RS tenants can complain about "high rents" than I can complain about "low rents".

The sad part is that at the end of the day, the low rent RS suffers due to minimal maintenance to the apartment. The Landlord will do the BARE MINIMUM maintenance in the apartment. Sloppy work done on purpose that translates to a big F U to the RS tenant. LOL. Remember, you get what you pay for!!!!!!!
Complaining about the law is not the same thing as actively trying to circumvent it or wishing your tenants death. Fine, so tenants complain about mandatory rent increases, but then they pay them. Not the same thing as a landlord who is intentionally trying to evict a good tenant with shady tactics, which is what this thread is about. I don't buy the "the system forced him into it" argument. If you don't like the law enough to brazenly brake it, then you should find something else to do with your life.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Complaining about the law is not the same thing as actively trying to circumvent it or wishing your tenants death. Fine, so tenants complain about mandatory rent increases, but then they pay them. Not the same thing as a landlord who is intentionally trying to evict a good tenant with shady tactics, which is what this thread is about. I don't buy the "the system forced him into it" argument. If you don't like the law enough to brazenly brake it, then you should find something else to do with your life.
Yes it is the system, the RS system that forces the landlord to do unethical things. This behavior is unique to only RS landlords. Why should a landlord give in to a tenant's demands and sell his tangible asset? Instead, if the tenant is tired of putting up with the landlords unethical behavior, why not move? No one is forcing you to stay. Why stay at a place where you're unwanted?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I'd go see a rental rights organization..If you have a landlord tenant type agency that offers guidance hopefully free of charge I'd get to the office asap and lay out what has been going on..Not sure who that would be in your area.

You goal should be to find out all your rights and options as a tenant in a rent controlled apartment, so you know what this may mean and how to protect yourself.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:37 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,397 times
Can you not pay via the bank in to the landlords account? That way you have more records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: