Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 AM

207 posts, read 513,868 times

Advertisements

My friends coworker says she goes to the cash lane with 3 or more people and it costs her $3. She has no reason to lie...but I can't believe that. And I don't think EZpass is involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
Port Authority web site shows $3.50 toll with EZPass with 3+ people.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:49 AM

207 posts, read 513,868 times
Yeah, so you can't use it in the ezpass lane?

Edit: oh....you go to cash where a person is to verify your carpool. She said she didn't use ezpass. Guess she meant the lane.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:17 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
The discount can be use with EZpass. Go to a cash lane and tell the worker. All lanes take EZpass. This is for all PA crossings.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:15 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Mad View Post
My friends coworker says she goes to the cash lane with 3 or more people and it costs her $3. She has no reason to lie...but I can't believe that. And I don't think EZpass is involved.
From the website
Customers must use a staffed "Cash-E-ZPass" toll lane and come to a complete stop so the toll collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle.

• The toll for Port Authority Carpool customers is $3.50 per vehicle at all hours.
  • You must have an E-ZPass account and you must register for the Port Authority Carpool Discount Plan.
  • To register for the Carpool Plan, call 800-333-8655 (New York Service Center) or 888-288-6865 (New Jersey Service Center). Be sure to have your account number or tag number and PIN for account access.
  • Three or more people must be in a vehicle to be eligible for the discount (no commercial vehicles qualify).
It seems as if only one vehicle can be registered for the Car Pool plan. By far this is the most economical way to drive through the Holland Tunnel. It is cheaper than the Green Pass which only gives you a discount on off-peak hours. Even the Staten Island Bridges Only discount plan is $4.75.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 PM

112 posts, read 328,066 times
The best thing is that it works 24/7, My friends and I used to use this alot to go to concerts and events in nyc.

The way it works is you have to go into the cash lane and tell the guy at the both the following 'let me get the ezpass carpool discount'. He checks to make sure you have the right amount of people (driver + 2 people) and he pushes a button.

it's kind of a crapshoot as sometimes it works and you get the discount and sometimes the guy in the booth doesnt know what he's doing, pushes the wrong button, and you get charged full price.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Try "Can I have the car pool discount please?" and I bet you'll see the discount applied every time.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:06 PM

58 posts, read 287,298 times
It's the carpool plan, equipped with a EZpass but must go to a cash lane and say "carpool" then your ezpass will charged at the carpool rate of #3.50. I use it all the time. Must register into the Carpool program first.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:54 PM

41 posts, read 109,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by post67 View Post
It's the carpool plan, equipped with a EZpass but must go to a cash lane and say "carpool" then your ezpass will charged at the carpool rate of #3.50. I use it all the time. Must register into the Carpool program first.

The above statement is correct I also use it everyday and all you have to do if you have an e-zpass acoount is call the 1-800 number to register and then go to the cash lane and say carpool. If this was not possible I would of never bought a house in NJ.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,930 times
You can add Port Authority Carpool Plan in your e-z pass account on-line as well.
Go to My Account/Plans/Add another plan. In "Account-Specific Plan Name" drop-down menu choose PACP. Than click "Add plan/Tag."
Here is description of the plan (taken from the official website):

"Vehicle Discount Plans Port Authority Carpool Plan: Available All Hours
The Port Authority Carpool Plan (PACP) is available to vehicles with non-commercial plates and private E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York or New Jersey. Enrollment is required. The Plan toll rate is $6.50 per trip (plus $9.50 for each additional axle beyond two axles), provided that there are three or more people in the vehicle. Customers must use a staffed "Cash/E-ZPass" lane and come to a complete stop so that the Toll Collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle. Plan Code: (PACP)"

Enjoy discounts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: