Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
If I was making a good living in a good career at a good company, living in the city would elicit constant mental masturbation. I can only surmise that it'd be awesome. However, I'm not so I see the dirty underbelly of this city. The negative aspects of all the "diversity", the welfare state, the hand to mouth existence of low wage employees, the entrenched poor class, etc.

I'm happy for those that can enjoy it though.

Thank you for putting it into words: the dirty underbelly of this city and the "negative aspects of diversity". I call it the "third-world class". Those of us who are middle income, modest or low income earners see/interact with this on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Posts like these remind me of E.B. White... I lived on Water Street a few years ago, was beyond thrilled when I first moved to the city, but, after a few months, its intriguing shine had somewhat lost its luster.

“On any person who desires such que*r prizes, New York will bestow the gift of loneliness and the gift of privacy...."

Last edited by MobileVisitor09; 10-12-2012 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: City-Data doesn't understand a term can have more than one definition.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Posts like these remind me of E.B. White... I lived on Water Street a few years ago, was beyond thrilled when I first moved to the city, but, after a few months, its intriguing shine had somewhat lost its luster.

“On any person who desires such que*r prizes, New York will bestow the gift of loneliness and the gift of privacy...."
The problem was probably the lack of funds.

The truth is that there's a plenty of variation within manhattan as long as you have the money.
I have friends who live in midtown because they love the hustle and bustle and central location and others who live on the UWS because they like a quiter neighborhood feel. There's also the meatpackinh district, Chelsea, financial district, etc. as long as you have the money, manhattan will not dissapoint.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
The problem was probably the lack of funds.

The truth is that there's a plenty of variation within manhattan as long as you have the money.
I have friends who live in midtown because they love the hustle and bustle and central location and others who live on the UWS because they like a quiter neighborhood feel. There's also the meatpackinh district, Chelsea, financial district, etc. as long as you have the money, manhattan will not dissapoint.
No, money honestly had nothing to do with it during that time--had a nice place, plenty of space, friends in the area, but, just recall ironically feeling very alone and isolated in such a densely populated city. Progressively got worse over time, ended up relocating out of state for further educational pursuits. Maybe it was just that time in my life, or maybe it was my lack of a six figure balance in my bank account that could have truly ensured 'happiness' as you say--having always loved NYC prior to moving there, (and still do, for visits!), for me, the experience was not what I had originally envisioned, and, well, just wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:48 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
A lot of it has to do with money yes, but also people. The right or wrong types of people you interact with can help make you or break you. And there's lots of people in NY who won't do you any good.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:15 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
Yeah, I just can't wait to get away from New York and escape to Wal-Mart/suburbia/freeway Land, ie the rest of the US. Mow the lawn. Get in the car. Drive to Walmart. Shop. Buy the same prodcuts and groceries that everyone else in the other 50 suburban states are buying. Get in the car. Drive to the gas station. Pay 6 bucks a gallon. Get in the car. Drive to the mall...etc

This is the only real place in continental North America, except for Montreal maybe.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:50 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times
I can't wait till I move

Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Yeah, I just can't wait to get away from New York and escape to Wal-Mart/suburbia/freeway Land, ie the rest of the US. Mow the lawn. Get in the car. Drive to Walmart. Shop. Buy the same prodcuts and groceries that everyone else in the other 50 suburban states are buying. Get in the car. Drive to the gas station. Pay 6 bucks a gallon. Get in the car. Drive to the mall...etc

This is the only real place in continental North America, except for Montreal maybe.
You don't get out much, do you? This kind of gross generalization demonstrates your ignorance and is an insult to many.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
You don't get out much, do you? This kind of gross generalization demonstrates your ignorance and is an insult to many.
How in the name of god could you actually be "insulted" by high iron's comment ? It must have struck a nerve for you to get "insulted".I can understand being annoyed , amused or indifferent but "insulted"?

Really,there is no need to be "insulted" by anonymous posts by anonymous posters.None of this has anything to do with you personally.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:49 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
How in the name of god could you actually be "insulted" by high iron's comment ? It must have struck a nerve for you to get "insulted".I can understand being annoyed , amused or indifferent but "insulted"?

Really,there is no need to be "insulted" by anonymous posts by anonymous posters.None of this has anything to do with you personally.
First, the OP tells me how he assumes everyone outside of glorious New York lives, and now you, another NYer are telling me how I should feel about it. Interesting. Quite full of yourselves, aren't you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City