Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:00 AM

458 posts, read 616,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Boston and SF aren't cosmopolitan. They're very nice, upscale cities but they don't have that vibe nor the demographics. Chicago isn't cosmopolitan either.
Well we'll agree to disagree. I think you're very wrong but there's no way to prove either of our opinions.

Quote:
I'm not trying to toot NYC's horn but NYC doesn't have a rival in the US. This is the truth in any objective sense... No other city can offer everything that NYC does in an urban landscape.
If there was a city that offered everything NYC does then it would have to be a clone of NYC, of course there is no such city. I'm not saying there is. I'm saying that to say NYC has no rival or competitor is silly because you don't have to be a clone of something to be a rival or a competitor of it. NYC offers the best in the country of some things, other cities offer the best in the country of other things. Each city has it's own draw. There's no point in lauding one as "the best" and "without competition" because that assumes everyone wants the same thing in a city as you do. You may (for example) love NYC's size and density while I hate it. You may love being able to use public transportation in the city while I hate having to use it and not driving my own car. You may love living here from months on end and having everything you need in close proximity. I find it stifling and boring and after a month or two start feeling an intense desire to GET OUT and see some trees and breath fresh air. Different strokes for different folks.

The reason people from around the country take offense at some NYers attitude that "NYC is objectively the greatest city in the country" is because it... is offensive. It's false and naive.

Quote:
I've been overseas numerous times and NY is always the first mention from the locals. Why do you think that is?
Did you watch the David Simon video?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
You know, I've heard this argument a lot from NYers. Most of them I just assume haven't spent much time in the south and are only going off stereotypes they see in movies.
You assumed wrong with me. I am the daughter of a southern mother and a native NYC'er father. I spent many summers down south as a child. I have many relatives there to this day, including siblings who found they liked the south. I am one of the hybrids that stuck to NY.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Just to be clear, I browse the CD by clicking on "New Posts". When I did that I saw a thread titled "Does NYC make everyone miserable after a while". I was curious and opened it to see why someone asked this question. I do this a lot because I am curious about other areas of the country and what their concerns and points of pride are about their region. When I happened on the post by "high iron" basically stereotyping the rest on the country outside of NYC as car-driven, Walmart shopping, fat mall rats with $6.00 a gallon gas, I took offense.

At no time did I ever insult NYC. I only pointed out that he/she had a myopic and skewed view of the rest of the nation that was deeply offensive. The OP was the one who took a slanted and narcissistic stand that NYC was the be all, end all of all places to live and anyone who chose not to live there was some how a lesser person than he. And he claimed to know "all" about Portland and what a yuppie art enclave we are. Which demonstrates with complete clarity how little he actually knows about Portland or even Baltimore, which he took another pot shot at, calling us both "lame burgs". That kind of immaturity and close-mindedness is appalling and should be to anyone with a lick of common sense, intelligence, and an open mind. Interestingly enough, a lot of folks who live in NYC agreed with the OP's post.

There is good, bad and ugly no matter where you go, but the ignorant egotism of "high iron" was over the top and I could not ignore it. I feel sorry for someone who is so inordinately proud of where they live, just by virtue of it being NYC, thinking it somehow bestows upon him some kind of honor and respect. I seriously doubt that he contributes anything of value to your beautiful, amazing, unique and uniquely flawed city.

Signed,
Another beautiful, amazing, unique and uniquely flawed city,
Portland, Oregon
TY for pointing that out. People like different places and it's a personal choice. I have no animosity towards Baltimore or Portland. I have been to Baltimore and had a good time (great aquarium too!). I have not been to Portland but wouldn't be averse to a visit. I just do not go on other place forums and harass the people, that's all I was trying to point out, not that you were downing NYC. The NYC (and Long Island) forums tend to attract people who want to talk trash about the areas and us natives sometimes go into automatic "attack" mode.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You assumed wrong with me. I am the daughter of a southern mother and a native NYC'er father. I spent many summers down south as a child. I have many relatives there to this day, including siblings who found they liked the south. I am one of the hybrids that stuck to NY.
Then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you lived in a strange city. My experience and the experience of every other Southerner I know is directly opposite yours.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:48 PM

145 posts, read 284,610 times
Quote:
Well we'll agree to disagree. I think you're very wrong but there's no way to prove either of our opinions.

If there was a city that offered everything NYC does then it would have to be a clone of NYC, of course there is no such city. I'm not saying there is. I'm saying that to say NYC has no rival or competitor is silly because you don't have to be a clone of something to be a rival or a competitor of it. NYC offers the best in the country of some things, other cities offer the best in the country of other things. Each city has it's own draw. There's no point in lauding one as "the best" and "without competition" because that assumes everyone wants the same thing in a city as you do. You may (for example) love NYC's size and density while I hate it. You may love being able to use public transportation in the city while I hate having to use it and not driving my own car. You may love living here from months on end and having everything you need in close proximity. I find it stifling and boring and after a month or two start feeling an intense desire to GET OUT and see some trees and breath fresh air. Different strokes for different folks.

The reason people from around the country take offense at some NYers attitude that "NYC is objectively the greatest city in the country" is because it... is offensive. It's false and naive.

Did you watch the David Simon video?

I laughed at the one poster talking smack about people from portland because it was hilarious. That said, I agree with all of this...

Old 10-14-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you lived in a strange city. My experience and the experience of every other Southerner I know is directly opposite yours.
I bet I am related to/know more southerners than you. I have experience with people in FL (including areas of N. FL where few "yankees" relocate to), AL, GA, NC, SC, TX and TN. My mom's family is a very old southern family and I have been able to trace my direct ancestors (great x5 grandparents) in the south back to the 1600s so far. I am surprised you don't know "bless your heart." I guess you haven't been too close to any true southerners. See the entries in the Urban Dictionary:

Urban Dictionary: bless your heart

Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I bet I am related to/know more southerners than you. I have experience with people in FL (including areas of N. FL where few "yankees" relocate to), AL, GA, NC, SC, TX and TN. My mom's family is a very old southern family and I have been able to trace my direct ancestors (great x5 grandparents) in the south back to the 1600s so far. I am surprised you don't know "bless your heart." I guess you haven't been too close to any true southerners. See the entries in the Urban Dictionary:

Urban Dictionary: bless your heart
Linking me to explanations of Southern phrases? Are you kidding? I'd prefer it if you didn't make wildly inaccurate assumptions about me and my background.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,241 times
Quote:

I don't think everyone has to like NYC but I do think if you look at all it has to offer, objectively and the fact that it leads or is one of the leaders in like almost every category in this country, and it's influence on the world it really is the greatest city in America honestly.

And this is not even being a biased NYer because if you asked me what was probably the greatest State in the nation I'd say California(and I'd never want to live in Cali) but when it comes to a city love or hate it NYC is the top in this country I really don't think any American city can compete. Only places like London, Paris, and Tokyo are on the same level truthfully.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
How you react and deal with things is what determines how miserable you become. Dont blame the city for your decisions. Born and raised here, 32yrs later no place else i rather live.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:58 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Boston and SF aren't cosmopolitan. They're very nice, upscale cities but they don't have that vibe nor the demographics. Chicago isn't cosmopolitan either. It's the largest and most pure Americana city in the US although it's the best competitor to NYC.
I can't comment on Montreal because I don't know.

I'm not trying to toot NYC's horn but NYC doesn't have a rival in the US. This is the truth in any objective sense.
I'm talking about NYC as the 5 boroughs. Not just Manhattan. No other city can offer everything that NYC does in an urban landscape. NYC doesn't have many rivals around the world either. Ask around the world and they'll tell you the same.

There's a reason that people from all over the world flock here either to visit or to live. I've been overseas numerous times and NY is always the first mention from the locals. Why do you think that is?

There are times when I really, really hate living here but I realize how much the city offers.
What do you mean by "no rival"? In terms of sheer size and stuff going on? Sure. In terms of simply being the "best" and better than other cities by far, then that's an incredibly stupid comment. When you just leave it at "no rival" without further clarification, you come off as equal parts arrogant and clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City