Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 PM

20 posts, read 113,663 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a single family house with 4 bedrooms and a decent yard. I am currently living in an apartment in Forest Hills. I do not think I can afford a house in Forest Hiils, so I am thinking about moving along the subway line to Jamaica Estates.

Anyone has an opinion about the general environment in Jamaica Estates? How is the school, safety, neighborhood, ethnicity and recent trend? Any areas to avoid?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 10:48 PM

420 posts, read 823,320 times
Jamaica Estates is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in NYC. You sure you're not talking about Jamaica or South Jamaica?

Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Jamaica Estates is super expensive. Mario Cuomo lived there.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 AM

Can anyone define the geographic location of Jamaica Estates for me? Is it south of Grand Central Parkway, North of Hillside Ave, West of Homelawn St, and East of Francis Lewis Blvd?

How come I see houses priced around 800K in this area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Jamaica Estates is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in NYC. You sure you're not talking about Jamaica or South Jamaica?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:42 AM

292 posts, read 704,773 times
Jamaica Estates is where Donald Trump grew up. (I know that isn't helpful for location, just thought it was an interesting point.)

Old 10-13-2012, 12:37 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,313 times
Your fine as long as it's not south Jamaica.Jamaica isn't too bad has an issue here and there.Jamaica Estates is one of the richest but its not the safest.Don't go wondering at night like anywhere else.Good Luck.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay718 View Post
Your fine as long as it's not south Jamaica.Jamaica isn't too bad has an issue here and there.Jamaica Estates is one of the richest but its not the safest.Don't go wondering at night like anywhere else.Good Luck.
You does not sound like recommending Jamaica Estates. It sounds like the place is too expensive and not safe enough...

Anyone can chime in on where I should be looking for a single family house along the E/F line? My budget is 900k. I personally do not like Rego Park and Kew Gardens. I like the south side of Forest Hills near the Gardens, but cannot afford there.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:42 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkg View Post
You does not sound like recommending Jamaica Estates. It sounds like the place is too expensive and not safe enough...

Anyone can chime in on where I should be looking for a single family house along the E/F line? My budget is 900k. I personally do not like Rego Park and Kew Gardens. I like the south side of Forest Hills near the Gardens, but cannot afford there.
No you should,never mind what I said.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I'm not that familiar with house prices in Jackson Heights (only coops) but there are some beautiful single family homes on 85th, 86th, 87th and 88th Streets between 34th ave and 35th Ave. The walk to the E/F would be at least 12 minutes, though there is also a 7 train at 82nd and a bus that goes down 35th ave that takes you right to the Roosevelt Ave. station at 74th St.

34-36 85th St, Jackson Heights, NY 11372 | MLS# 2323971

35-56 87th St, Jackson Heights, NY 11372 | MLS# 2401354

3541 87th Street, Queens NY - Trulia

Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkg View Post
Can anyone define the geographic location of Jamaica Estates for me? Is it south of Grand Central Parkway, North of Hillside Ave, West of Homelawn St, and East of Francis Lewis Blvd?

How come I see houses priced around 800K in this area?
Google maps not working for you??

I wonder if the $800K homes you saw are in Jamaica Estates or Jamaica Hills?

The directions you provided do NOT make sense!! Jamaica Estates cannot be simultaneously, *west* of Homelawn AND *east* of Francis Lewis. You must be confused!

Jamaica Estates, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jamaica Hills, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holliswood, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That should about cover it. The areas are no different than Forest Hills and elsewhere, there is a core, such as "Forest Hills Gardens", which *defines* the area, and the greater surrounding area with progressively declining values.

So, while there is a core of quite expensive homes, for which Jamaica Estates is known for, there are lower priced properties in the greater area. It is the same everywhere.

Btw, you can find a home in your price range in Forest Hills, just not in the "Gardens", and it may be semi attached and/or with smallish rooms. So, the *type* of 4 bedrooms is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: