Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 12:37 PM

174 posts, read 415,049 times

Advertisements

Would love any positive or negative feedback please

We are with Time Warner and until the last few months they have been fine. I am getting pretty sick of calling and having them reboot because the cable is not working. The internet also slows down and its pretty bad as I work from home.

Friends have suggested Fios? I want to know if its worth the change?

Sometimes it can be better the devil you know.

Would love to hear of people that have jumped ship and what their experience was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 12:40 PM

145 posts, read 284,581 times
I hate TWC. If Fios were available where I am currently at, I'd jump all over it. But alas, TWC is the monopoly here.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:41 PM

174 posts, read 415,049 times
lucky for it is now here

Old 10-14-2012, 12:06 AM

387 posts, read 679,831 times
Switched from TWC to FIOS, my Bill is almost $100 cheaper. The picture is a little better & I haven't experianced the picture fuzz that was common with TWC. The internet connection is a little faster.

When my two year contract is up I will most likely switch back to TWC when they have a promotion.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:42 AM

877 posts, read 2,012,140 times
I've had Verizon for 8 years and the first few years, the internet went on and off but it wasn't too severe. My parents heard about the free calls to Canada deal for TWC recently and jumped on it immediately without any considerations and guess what..we got screwed. For 2 months, it was the worst and since I did my internship from home, it made everything worse. The calls were hectic and we had to get technicians to come back THE DAY they fixed it. I think 3-4 technicians have come by. That equals about 8 years of technicians from Verizon coming.
It was just so much BS, we switched back to Verizon and everything is fine again. Time Warner charged us for every little thing, even the wifi from the box..ridiculous.

I think it pretty depends on location because a lot of people have said Time Warner is great but I don't think our area was good in particular because I spoke with a friend who also said TW sucks. You should try asking some people area your area to see what internet they use. As awkward as it may be, it'll come in VERY handy.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
I recommend FIOS but my only comparisons were with Comcast and RCN...both pains in the ass.
But be warned, I have a 25/25 Mbps but still see some DRASTIC slowdowns at Prime Time when streaming sometimes slows to 1 Mbps or lower. Verizon says this is impossible but they ran remote speed tests and found it was a fact. (And they still say it's impossible. Whadda yah gonna do? So I just stopped calling them.)

I am paying $109 including taxes for Digital Phone, 25/25 internet,ExtremeHD package, wifi router, Multi-Room DVR (500 gigs) free for life, extra HD set top box, and free Showtime for 2 years.
You cannot get that with Time Warner.
So I recommend FIOS.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,638,707 times
We used to have Time Warner but it got to the point where we had no internet almost every weekend! Switched to Fios about 6 months ago and have been very happy since then. It's much cheaper (at least for the first two years) and reliable. When we called Time Warner to let them know that we are switching, they were not surprised. They are well aware of their issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City