Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Philly
Boston 34 51.52%
Philly 32 48.48%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 02:41 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Boston is southern despite its location.
Dallas has races problems but not on the level of Boston.
Yeah, I heard this about Dallas. Every once in awhile, you'll get an "old school" white person that might talk to a black person in a "you should know your place" kinda way, but they usually don't do that to blacks who are not "local".

Not really trying to go to Texas though. I'd rather take my chances in midwest or Maine, if and when I do leave NYC again. I'd really prefer nothern california this time. I really like Cali's live and let live attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I had no race related problems in Philly and the folks there were genuinely nice but I could help but feel like an exhibit at a museum with the way they kept watching. Not out of hate but out of curiosity.
Really?? When I take the bus out to Philly to visit my friends, it usually goes through Chinatown.

Was it blacks staring at you strange or whites?

What neighborhood were you in?

Quote:
I took a picture of the only Hispanic person I saw in Philly. It's still a 90% white and black metro, there's nothing wrong with that but it's not very worldly IMO.
Hmmm, interesting. I see all types when I'm there.

Try Boston. Ethnic whites do tend to be a little backwards though, but I don't know how they treat other races besides blacks, so I can't speak on it. Have you gone to the Boston forum?

Old 10-13-2012, 02:47 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,990,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Was it blacks staring at you strange or whites?

What neighborhood were you in?
Whites.

Market near 3rd street is where I got the most looks.
Quote:
Have you gone to the Boston forum?
Not yet. What should I be looking for in the forum?

Old 10-13-2012, 02:55 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yeah, I heard this about Dallas. Every once in awhile, you'll get an "old school" white person that might talk to a black person in a "you should know your place" kinda way, but they usually don't do that to blacks who are not "local".

Not really trying to go to Texas though. I'd rather take my chances in midwest or Maine, if and when I do leave NYC again. I'd really prefer nothern california this time. I really like Cali's live and let live attitude.
I have a friend who is black and is planning to move to Dallas in December. We both visited in April and liked it a lot. She spoke to a lot more people than I did since she has no qualms about striking up conversations with people. There is a bit of a mix in Dallas now, it's become more metropolitan and I met a LOT of people who moved there from California to get away from the high COL there.

As for Boston vs. Philly, I've been to Boston but never been to Philly so I couldn't make in informed decision on that one way or another. I would agree Boston is definitely predominately white. I also found it amusing that I was staying in a hotel in what was considered by the locals to be a crappy area (Waltham I think) and people were asking me wasn't I scared to stay there. To me the area looked like mainly working class hispanics and blacks. Not bad by NYC standards, but I guess according to them, it was a slum.

One of these days I'll get to Philly, I've been meaning to go there.

I'm also surprised you don't have DC on your list.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Whites.

Market near 3rd street is where I got the most looks.

Not yet. What should I be looking for in the forum?
Just ask them how they feel about Chinese or asian people there.

You can't really ask about "race relations", because most people "assume" you mean "black and white".

Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
There are about 10 neighborhoods I would never come near in Philadelphia. It's improved a lot, especially near Center City, over the years, but you can't change something that pervasively bad over less than a generation or two. There is a crime wave over the past 3-5 years in Philly too- the mayor there was elected to fight it.

Boston I wouldn't say there are any scary neighborhoods. Call the behavior racist or provinicial, but there are a lot bigger problems than that in Philadelphia.

The people are smart, the airport is close, the distances are eminently walkable, the streets are clean- I love Boston.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:54 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times
I haven't seen much of Philly but I've always liked Boston because it seems like a really neat, clean, historic city to live in (even though Philly is itself). But I feel like Philly is more on the "suburban" side and Boston is comparable with NYC in many ways.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:53 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
Inside Philadelphia is quite dense with most hoods within 2-5 miles of Center City being row houses. They're just not mostly not nice neighborhoods like Boston's.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:05 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
A lot of people are really overdoing the Boston racist comments smh.

All three cities have huge similarities(both being more related to NYC then each other)

But this has always been a hard topic for me......hmmmmm I guess I go with Philly specifically based on its region.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
A lot of people are really overdoing the Boston racist comments smh.

All three cities have huge similarities(both being more related to NYC then each other)

But this has always been a hard topic for me......hmmmmm I guess I go with Philly specifically based on its region.
If you're not black or a person of color, how would you know?

How many diverse or integrated neighborhoods are there in Boston? I heard that there aren't ANY at all. At least, Dallas DOES have some and so does Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City