Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times

Advertisements

since youre from the ukraine iirc, i know it isn't all too ethical, just say you were a waiter over the summers at your families restaurant. this will give you the experience you need. and honestly, as being a waiter at a large chain before, if you can listen and learn the menu, it's not hard. one year of experience doesn't really mean that much and won't make you an amazing waiter after a year. you gotta do what you gotta do to get by these days. If you're going to work as hard as you say you are, that will more than make up for your lack of experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 07:35 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Find a job you really WANT . . .and offer to work for free for a couple of days so they can see how eager you are . . . or brainstorm solutions for problems and offer yourself as a resource . . .

Do get the bug situation under control first, however.
Wow such old school advice..My father used to tell me that ...he said "Offer your service for free...and show them what you can do..they will find out they need you and will hire you".....someone say "bugs"......This will depress and harass you into a panic....Take everything you have...every square inch of anything- launder in hot water...check every last crack of any article..Wage war on the parasites....I have seen the strongest people get beaten into the dirt by a mere insect.....I really hope you do well- all of us her at CD send our regards and best wishes...........People out here love you- even if you do not know them...remember that YOU ARE NOT ALONE

There maybe some nasty people in the world..but never forget- there are very kind and loving intelligent folks out there also...love the people- and they will love you- That is the best I have to offer..don't lose faith.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 AM

110 posts, read 200,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Wow such old school advice..My father used to tell me that ...he said "Offer your service for free...and show them what you can do..they will find out they need you and will hire you".....someone say "bugs"......This will depress and harass you into a panic....Take everything you have...every square inch of anything- launder in hot water...check every last crack of any article..Wage war on the parasites....I have seen the strongest people get beaten into the dirt by a mere insect.....I really hope you do well- all of us her at CD send our regards and best wishes...........People out here love you- even if you do not know them...remember that YOU ARE NOT ALONE

There maybe some nasty people in the world..but never forget- there are very kind and loving intelligent folks out there also...love the people- and they will love you- That is the best I have to offer..don't lose faith.
Very good advice from both of you!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM

59 posts, read 100,114 times
I'm not sure if lying my way into a job is the best way... they might ask for contact info, address, etc. Last thing I want to do is get caught in a lie.

Working for free is something I didn't think of. As far as the waiter position goes I could offer to work for tips only for a set period of time (A week? Idk) so this is something I'll actually look into and explore.

But I am not going to any job seeking until I get these bugs out and get some work cloth again. There's no way I'm going into a interview calm and worry-free knowing that my cloth could potentially be dangerous to my health.

I do seem to have a good temporary solution though (Hopefully), someone from this forum pm'ed me about giving me some free cloth. If they can be used for work I'll be job hunting again tomorrow. Well.. that and I STILL need storage.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Also, just thinking now as I'll be sitting in the library most of the day today (Can't stand to be in the cloth I'm in. Can't do anything while I'm in them, being on the computers helps me forget about the bugs till I can get some bug-free ones tonight)

Lets say I do manage to get a min wage full-time job to start off. What would be best case scenario for a room price in brooklyn. $125 a week? Before when I had a job, I was getting a killer deal of $300 a month for a room. Had internet/utilities included in it so I was able to live perfectly fine at the time without much budgeting. I won't find that type of deal again I assume.

I'm not looking to be anywhere in the Bronx btw.

Edit: Great news! I think I found my fully updated Resume. I'm not sure if this was the latest format I used (My mother sent me her extremely detailed one and I used it to make mine look really professional) but it will work perfectly fine.

Now I just need to print out some copies..... Gotta scrap up a dollar or so somehow to Print. I'll ask my friends.

Last edited by Bboy500; 10-23-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 01:20 PM

10 posts, read 13,171 times
didn't know you're right up there by my favorite place, metro ministries. i'll probably never get the chance to visit. u should pop in and do some volunteering check it out. if you do let me know... i've read bill wilson's book and handmade tons of christmas stockings with friends and sent them to metro ministreis a few years back. he has quite a story and started with absolutely nothing. i'm so jealous you're right up there close probaby.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:35 PM

393 posts, read 782,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy500 View Post
If by well known you mean uhh.. anywhere near the Bryant Park area to... Union Square....

Ive pretty much asked most that I have seen. Atleast in the areas I have been to (Lex ave, Madison ave, fifth ave)

I took a entire day and walked aorund in my work stuff, haircut, everyhting proper, and walked in to cafe's/diners.

Most said Not-hiring. The other most common answer was if I could drive for delivery...., others boss/managers were not in, I left my number but obviously never got a call back, and I did get a couple of real oppurtunitys but becaue I had no experience as a waiter they turned me down. Even looked on craigslist but all of them are pretty much this:

1 YEAR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR DONT EMAIL/CALL!

I cant blame them, I would want to hire people with experience too. But it isnt as easy when you only had 1 job and are this young. People are scared...
Have you looked in the outer boroughs yet? I think your chances of getting a restaurant job there are significantly higher. Don't just ask for waitressing and delivery jobs either. Make sure that you make it obvious that you are open to dishwashing or something like that. That's how a lot of people start in the restuarant industry. You can move up from that later.

I know it's not the most attractive idea to a well-educated 19 year old, but since you are homeless it's sort of an extreme case. I don't see why you couldn't get a job at a fast food chain or 7 11 or something like that until you can find something better. I feel like you should be able to find a fast food position no problem, especially in Brooklyn or Queens.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Have you looked in the outer boroughs yet? I think your chances of getting a restaurant job there are significantly higher. Don't just ask for waitressing and delivery jobs either. Make sure that you make it obvious that you are open to dishwashing or something like that. That's how a lot of people start in the restuarant industry. You can move up from that later.

I know it's not the most attractive idea to a well-educated 19 year old, but since you are homeless it's sort of an extreme case. I don't see why you couldn't get a job at a fast food chain or 7 11 or something like that until you can find something better. I feel like you should be able to find a fast food position no problem, especially in Brooklyn or Queens.
I was planning to but something always came up.

Either my stuff needed to be moved out and relocated, I needed to get a haircut then make it back in time to eat, Spent the entire day looking around for storage/asking diff shelters/place about policies (My stuff is not in a safe place right now), birthday... and now the whole bug/shirt problem.

Things keep getting in the way of me actually going to Brooklyn and getting a full day over there looking for a Job. I do plan on doing it no doubt.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:48 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy500 View Post
I'm not sure if lying my way into a job is the best way... they might ask for contact info, address, etc. Last thing I want to do is get caught in a lie.
I hate to be the lone cynical jerk here when everyone has gone out of the way trying to help you.
But some of your story details don't seem to match with what you said in a post you posted from
two years ago. But if everything else you said is true, then my apologizes and best of luck to you.

This is what you said then.

//www.city-data.com/forum/educa...vice-help.html

Need Some Advice/Help 11-07-2010, 11:33 AM

OK, So i have a pretty weird situation(Name's Steve and i
am 18 years old now). In the 9th-11th Grade I started
hanging out with the "wrong" type of people. My Education
went down majorly during those times to the point where i
never bother coming to school. I was cutting school a lot
because every time I went there I sat there not knowing
anything, was not able to follow classes normally, and
Gave up because school really felt like it was not for
me.

My mom ended up giving up on me as well, moved back to
Ukraine our old country (I left when i was 7 so i
consider my self american, and i do have
citizenship,passports and all documents). My aunt told my
mom it was a horrible decision and took me back with her
to live.

To stand on my own feet though i need a high school
diploma, and a education past 9th grade. I never did good
in school even when i was going every day and paying
attention (grades 1-8). I always passed with low grades
around 75/100-65/100. and i have a feeling i was not
going to get very far in regular school either way.

I was thinking about homeschooling, but i need a Diploma
asap and do not have my parents to teach me at home. I
was looking at this website:
Mod cut, sorry but new posters cannot post links.
And I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it sounds
exactly what i want. I want to be able to earn a HSD from
home, Taking tests when needed, Learning everything i
need myself in my own pace, and be able to get credits
towards a Diploma for it. Money is not a big issue. Would
that website/school be what i need? and how does it
exactly work, because the FAQ does not answer alot of
questions.

In this thread you said:

Mother stayed with me till I finished High School then went back to Ukraine too.
No family here (Everyone is in Ukraine)

Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM

My aunt doesn't live here anymore either.
She lived in NJ but moved. She did help me finish that final grade of high school though and I did get the diploma/graduate.

After I did get the diploma I moved out (With a job) and then the rest of the story happens exactly as I said it.

Basically I cut out the part where I stayed with my aunt and got the HSD. Didn't think it mattered as the end result is still the same.

HSD + No family to help me here in NYC or near NYC. Add to the fact that I don't want my family to worry (I Already mentioned this) and they don't know about my problems. They would scream and do everything they could to send me back to Ukraine.

To stand on my own feet though i need a high school diploma <-- Is the key here. She just helped me get the diploma + job so I can live by myself.

I do apologize for any confusion that may have caused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City