Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 11:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

I've been following this on and off. I can't take it anymore.

I'm tempted to finance relocating him to a lower cost of living area where he can EASILY get a dishwasher job without work experience and paying for his first month of housing.

But I realize he needs to be near his friends because they are his only support network.

Does ANYONE have any solutions to get him into permanent shelter where he can shower regularly and get rid of whatever bugs he has?

He said he had a place for 300/month. Does something like that exist anywhere there? I'll pay the first month's rent and security deposit to give him a fighting chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
OMG, you people are so wonderful. Sending prayers to all.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,899 times
I too hope this young man is ok. Hopefully he is staying with friends he occasionally mentions. He seems bright, and hope he can get on his feet. What a tough spot to be in.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
He hasn't been here in a while, so hopefully he's already started on his new life and doesn't have time to goof off on C-D anymore.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
This may seem unconventional, but have you tried panhandling for some pocket money. I'm not trying to discourage you from finding a job, but you still need some pocket money to survive. Panhandling may get you a few hundred dollars to get you started.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:53 PM

734 posts, read 932,612 times
The Red Cross may be able to help him. There's a lot of relief assistance (due to the hurricane) in NYC at this time. Hopefully, he can utilize their services to secure food, shelter and clothing.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM

107 posts, read 204,814 times
Hey kid if you are still looking for something I might be able to offer some part-time IT work for your situation temporarily that you can do remote for me. Can you program or do basic web stuff. What IT skills do you exactly have? Private IM me if you are interested.

Last edited by nei; 10-30-2012 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: response to deleted post

Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
This may seem unconventional, but have you tried panhandling for some pocket money. I'm not trying to discourage you from finding a job, but you still need some pocket money to survive. Panhandling may get you a few hundred dollars to get you started.

I hope you are aware some cities have banned this. I use to visit NYC alot in the past and they have cracked down on this. I even don't see people doing this in the subways with their music or crafts much anymore.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Other immediate options ----> Google

new york hostels work exchange

Resident Assistants free dormitory accommodations greeneave loftstel

Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 AM

32 posts, read 38,078 times
Who said New Yorkers are rude? On this thread I've seen nothing but support for this young man. Honey, if you are still homeless, please do go to Covenant House. Back when I was 18, I lived in the one down here in Houston, Texas for a little while after my mother passed and I didn't have a place to go. They will feed you, clothe you, put a roof over your head, and help you with finding work and maybe a vocational program so you can beef up your computer/IT skills to where they are marketable. Our curfew was 7pm and none of us liked it but it beat being out on the streets, that's for sure, and while Houston can be rough, I could not imagine being homeless in NYC. These folks have given you a lot of info and I am literally sitting here with tears rolling down my face in joy at how everyone on this thread got together and tried to help you, some even offering cash assistance, jobs, and/or a place to sleep. I hope you are safe. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City