Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Yeah dude you gotta prioritize. Who cares how fast your computer runs if you don't have money for food or clothes....
Exactly.

He didn't say his computer was broken, but that it was running slow and he chose to upgrade it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM

59 posts, read 100,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am learning you can "lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink," with a young person in my life who rejects all good ideas and has to learn everything the hard way. What I tell him, which I will also say to you is that every thought, word, and deed - and every choice you make in every second, results in your life.

If it were me, I would go naked or wear clean rags - I can't even fathom having bugs in my clothing. That would not be an option for me.

It is about priorities and choices.

Good luck with your interview and please clean up for the sake of yourself and your health, and the people you come in contact with (whomever you are staying with and your new employer).
Good luck doing this in public and with no cash and with the option of cloth that make you look like you're homeless, are way too big on you, or have holes/something else in them.

I dont have clean cloth. Being naked in public will get you arrested, and the free cloth offered in many places do not carry smaller sizes. I already got new shirts/socks/shoes but the problem became that I could not find pants. It's not like I haven't tried. Oh and going to the laundry doesn't work when you have 1 pair of pants.... how do you put them in the washer when you have nothing else to put on in the meantime?

Also to put it this way: No one ever knows I'm homeless based on what I wear. The places I go to, homeless people are not even allowed not enter, or are kicked out by security. Even the library has a rule that you must come in clean and if anyone makes a complaint about you, you're out of there. Its happened to me one time, I always come in the library as clean as I can now.

Its not as easy as you think it is. I don't have the option of clean cloth. Believe me I have tried. I have no choice under the circumstances, so I have to deal with it, life makes people deal with many tough things, this is one of mine. It was never an option for me to have bugs in my cloth, it just became my ONLY option.

And yes, I don't blame anyone but myself for the situation I am in. I know exactly what I did wrong to get to my current position and know exactly what I need to do to fix it and prevent it. Whether I do it or not I will find out as soon as I get a job, I never said I don't deserve to be in my position if thats what your thinking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the people I stayed with, I wore new socks/shirt every day I stayed there and took a shower before sleeping for all nights. I put the dirty things in a closed bag and was as careful as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Exactly.

He didn't say his computer was broken, but that it was running slow and he chose to upgrade it.
I already explained why I chose the CPU for $22. How much cloth can I possibly get online (Keep in mind I need to pay shipping) for $22. Not to mention the owner would of done the same thing to the package at the end of the day.

If this was $30 cash the first thing I would of done is go to TJ Maxx or Daffy's. There is a big difference between online-only money and cash. A CPU is a productive purchase in my eyes, more so then food (I can get it free as it is 3 times a day).

Old 11-05-2012, 02:59 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy500 View Post
Good luck doing this in public and with no cash and with the option of cloth that make you look like you're homeless, are way too big on you, or have holes/something else in them.

I dont have clean cloth. Being naked in public will get you arrested, and the free cloth offered in many places do not carry smaller sizes. I already got new shirts/socks/shoes but the problem became that I could not find pants. It's not like I haven't tried. Oh and going to the laundry doesn't work when you have 1 pair of pants.... how do you put them in the washer when you have nothing else to put on in the meantime?

Also to put it this way: No one ever knows I'm homeless based on what I wear. The places I go to, homeless people are not even allowed not enter, or are kicked out by security. Even the library has a rule that you must come in clean and if anyone makes a complaint about you, you're out of there. Its happened to me one time, I always come in the library as clean as I can now.

Its not as easy as you think it is. I don't have the option of clean cloth. Believe me I have tried. I have no choice under the circumstances, so I have to deal with it, life makes people deal with many tough things, this is one of mine. It was never an option for me to have bugs in my cloth, it just became my ONLY option.

And yes, I don't blame anyone but myself for the situation I am in. I know exactly what I did wrong to get to my current position and know exactly what I need to do to fix it and prevent it. Whether I do it or not I will find out as soon as I get a job, I never said I don't deserve to be in my position if thats what your thinking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the people I stayed with, I wore new socks/shirt every day I stayed there and took a shower before sleeping for all nights. I put the dirty things in a closed bag and was as careful as possible.

I already explained why I chose the CPU for $22. How much cloth can I possibly get online (Keep in mind I need to pay shipping) for $22. Not to mention the owner would of done the same thing to the package at the end of the day.

If this was $30 cash the first thing I would of done is go to TJ Maxx or Daffy's. There is a big difference between online-only money and cash. A CPU is a productive purchase in my eyes, more so then food (I can get it free as it is 3 times a day).
What size pants do you wear? I have a really nice pair of ralph lauren dress pants that I wore once that say 32/34 as the size, but when I put them on they really seem to be more like 34/36 which isn't even a size i've ever seen. You can have them if they would fit you. I look silly wearing them.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 PM

59 posts, read 100,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
What size pants do you wear? I have a really nice pair of ralph lauren dress pants that I wore once that say 32/34 as the size, but when I put them on they really seem to be more like 34/36 which isn't even a size i've ever seen. You can have them if they would fit you. I look silly wearing them.
28/32 is my size. or 30/32(34) at most, depend s on the pants. 32/32+ is more then likely too big on me.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:58 PM

You made a bad decision, in my estimation on the CPU, but it is a moot point. I am not attempting to blame you for your current lot in life, just pointing out it was caused by choices.

I also think people should be careful sending money to strangers on the Internet - and also meeting up with strangers . . . you never know who might be scamming.

What was the result of your interview?

There has to be a solution to the bug problem. Thrift shops have pants in your size for $2.00! Buy a pair and do some laundry in hot water. Then shower daily and wash your clothes on a regular basis.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:27 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
The itchy mites or whatever they are, can be temporary killed by a dusting with diatomaceous earth, which you can buy online or in a garden store, not expensive and not toxic (it's the fossilized powder of ancient sea diatoms).

I agree that the upgrade can wait, it may not even be the problem in causing slow functioning.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:33 PM

241 posts, read 372,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The itchy mites or whatever they are, can be temporary killed by a dusting with diatomaceous earth, which you can buy online or in a garden store, not expensive and not toxic (it's the fossilized powder of ancient sea diatoms).

I agree that the upgrade can wait, it may not even be the problem in causing slow functioning.
D earth is VERY harmful to your lungs and eyes, please be careful.

Take all of your stuff, and wash and dry it on high heat. It needs to be dried for a long time, at least 1 hour, and very hot. That will kill the bugs.

You need to wash your luggage and do something about the electronics too.

And I say this nicely - the word you are looking for is clothes, not cloth. Cloth is fabric. Clothes are garments.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Lice, scabies, crabs, bedbugs...it could be all kinds of bugs. Very hard to avoid if you're flopping in shelters, cheap lodgings or around other homeless people.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 PM

420 posts, read 823,320 times
Go to Uniqlo and buy a pair of khaki pants or jeans for $20-30. Much better purchase than a CPU. You're in a tight spot right now, and "gifting" yourself won't make you any better off.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 PM

GO TO A THIFT STORE AND BUY SOME CLOTHES . . . YOU CAN GET PANTS FOR TWO DOLLARS - SHIRTS FOR TWO DOLLARS. WASH THEM. THEN PUT THEM ON AND WASH YOUR OTHER CLOTHES.

DON'T USE PESTICIDES ON YOURSELF. WASH WITH SOAP AND WATER. WASH YOUR CLOTHES WITH SUPER HOT WATER.

"CLEANLINESS IS NEXT TO GODLINESS."

This is so basic. I would never hire someone who didn't understand that it is essential to keep clean.

How did your interview go? You never said.

Please post a picture of yourself too. Oh yeah, you dropped your phone in the subway tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City