Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 07:27 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy500 View Post

Trust me I don't wish these things on anyone and wouldn't do anything to cause it. Also I sleep on the subway.... like IN the trains, no sleeping spot.
Where do you sleep? Doesn't the subway close at certain hours? How do you pay to get into the subway.

You were living with your friend, where your stuff is still located, right? Why can't you stay with your friend for a while longer?

By the way, check your email.

Last edited by Timing2012; 11-09-2012 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
I agree taking the jacket back and making it their problem shows a lack of character. It is bad karma. Why should they have to deal with your bugs?

So you're infesting the subway seats too.

I am beginning to become germaphobic - I think I will take to wearing gloves and masks at all times.

I just could not live like that . . .hope I don't have to eat my words.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Do you have a paypal account? Do you even know how it works?
I'm very familiar with PayPal.
However, to maintain the OPs privacy, one can simply email him a gift card if they want to help him out.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 PM

59 posts, read 100,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I agree taking the jacket back and making it their problem shows a lack of character. It is bad karma. Why should they have to deal with your bugs?

So you're infesting the subway seats too.

I am beginning to become germaphobic - I think I will take to wearing gloves and masks at all times.

I just could not live like that . . .hope I don't have to eat my words.
I'm not infesting the subway. They live on cloth and most likely need warmth (Which is why they live on my cloth in closed areas and I never saw one on my skin), Ive never seen one willingly leave my cloth or on a cold plastic subway seat.

+ almost every train car has 1-2 homeless people sleeping on the side seats, any one of them can have this problem. Chances are, they aren't that easily transferred.

Subway is the only way I can sleep where it isn't cold AND where its decently safe.

Quote:
Where do you sleep? Doesn't the subway close at certain hours? How do you pay to get into the subway.

You were living with your friend, where your stuff is still located, right? Why can't you stay with your friend for a while longer?

By the way, check your email.
Subway in NYC is 24/7, ever heard "The city that never sleeps?" They can't afford to close it.

And I was never living with my friend, he just kept my stuff in his house.

And if I can get money for laundry, I'll go wash my stuff instead

Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 PM

241 posts, read 372,995 times
Quote:
I'm not infesting the subway. They live on cloth and most likely need warmth (Which is why they live on my cloth in closed areas and I never saw one on my skin), Ive never seen one willingly leave my cloth or on a cold plastic subway seat.

+ almost every train car has 1-2 homeless people sleeping on the side seats, any one of them can have this problem. Chances are, they aren't that easily transferred.

Subway is the only way I can sleep where it isn't cold AND where its decently safe.

Subway in NYC is 24/7, ever heard "The city that never sleeps?" They can't afford to close it.

Clothes man, not cloth.

Free laundry in NYC

Service Information

Old 11-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Drop-In Centers
Drop-In Centers provide homeless single adults with hot meals, showers, laundry facilities, clothing, medical care, recreational space, employment referrals, and other social services. Staff at centers can also help homeless people find a safe and secure place to sleep. (Call 311 for further directions.)

MANHATTAN
Main Chance operated by Grand Central Neighborhood
Hours: Open 24 Hours
(Midtown)
120 East 32nd Street
NY, NY 10017
6 train to 33rd Street

Olivieri Center operated by Urban Pathways
Hours: 7:30am-8:30pm
(near Penn Station)
257 West 30th Street
NY, NY 10001
A/C/E trains to 34th Street

Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,936 times
Quote:

If you don't have money, how were you able to get into the subway?

Did you ask your friend if you can stay with him untill you have the income and pay him rent?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:

Did you ask your friend if you can stay with him untill you have the income and pay him rent?
Jumping turnstiles is my guess.

Not the best idea... that's a good way to get a ticket.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
So why not check out the place Sprigged mentioned? If they have something you could wear even while you are doing your laundry then at least you can put all the stuff in on high heat, even your shoes and get rid of the bugs. If they offer clothing there then you should be able to get something. Thats the most proactive solution without costing you anything or waiting, don't you agree? Why not check it out?

I agree its better to save paypal information for private direct messages. Congrats on the job, thats one major thing you have conquered.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 PM

59 posts, read 100,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
Drop-In Centers
Drop-In Centers provide homeless single adults with hot meals, showers, laundry facilities, clothing, medical care, recreational space, employment referrals, and other social services. Staff at centers can also help homeless people find a safe and secure place to sleep. (Call 311 for further directions.)

MANHATTAN
Main Chance operated by Grand Central Neighborhood
Hours: Open 24 Hours
(Midtown)
120 East 32nd Street
NY, NY 10017
6 train to 33rd Street

Olivieri Center operated by Urban Pathways
Hours: 7:30am-8:30pm
(near Penn Station)
257 West 30th Street
NY, NY 10001
A/C/E trains to 34th Street
I personally stayed in Mainchance, they do not offer laundry service.

And the rest of places like those "Drop in centers/shelters" you have to register and stay/participate/follow their rules to use those services. It's not a "Come in, use them, and your free to go". Some of the rules are really bad (Aka be inside by 6:00 pm and you cant leave again till morning) and now that I will be working in Brooklyn, not a good idea.

The only True free laundry service I found is at this harlem location. But they only offer it on Teusdays, early morning (7:00 AM).

Quote:

Did you ask your friend if you can stay with him until you have the income and pay him rent?
None of my friends have room for me. All of them still live with their parents while going to college (Some High School.. still.), and most already live pretty crowded.

Dangerous or not. I either sleep on the subway and stay warm and be decently safe, or sleep in freezing temperatures and get robbed really easy while I'm sleeping, not to mention the bugs that might be crawling on the sidewalks.... i've had enough bugs for a lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
So why not check out the place Sprigged mentioned? If they have something you could wear even while you are doing your laundry then at least you can put all the stuff in on high heat, even your shoes and get rid of the bugs. Thats the most proactive solution without costing you anything or waiting, don't you agree? I agree its better to handle save paypal information for private direct messages. Congrats on the job, thats one major thing you have conquered.
Read above why those places are not an option. I looked into a lot of these services already.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-10-2012 at 12:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City