Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 01:43 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Forgot to add..if you do go to an area like Brighton Beach and walk into restaurants, speak to the people there in Russian and bring up what part of the Ukraine you are from. It'll establish a common bond right away even if they don't know you, so they'll be more inclined to give you a dishwashing or a waitressing job if something like that is available. I'm Ukrainian and people in tight Ukrainian and Russian communities are instantly warmer to me when I speak Russian...immediate familiarity type thing.
I agree with that. I'm Ukrainian too. I spent a lot of time in "Ukiland" aka the Lower East Side. Hit up all the local business including Self Reliance, the Ukrainian credit union. Also, talk to the pastor or someone at St. George church on E7th St. With your background and determination I can't image you won't find a job thru those leads. Прийміть мої найкращі побажання
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
You could always look into the military.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:28 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Good luck tomorrow Bboy!
+1 Have a great first day at work!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Can't wait to hear how today went!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:02 PM

59 posts, read 100,077 times
More good news today!

First thing I have to say, (Not sure if the poster wants to be named) but someone was kind enough to give me rent money. Not going to say how much exactly, but as of today I have 1 month rent payed and then some. The place is also 10 blocks (A walk) away from my job and is clear of any kind of bugs. I made sure. My stuff is going to be moved in by my friends father tomorrow night.

With that out of the way, First day on my job went pretty much as I expected. I had to re-learn all the buttons on the cashier, but other then that it is pretty much the exact same job as my last one. The workers are great people, All of them except one are going to college. I didn't tell anyone what my situation was, I don't think anyone really needs to know.

But work went fine, I felt right at home and knew what to do within a couple of hours on the job. Still have to learn the store and where every item goes but I'll get the hang of it.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
So happy for you, that the job went well, and someone was generous enough to help pay your rent (best to keep their name anonymous and prob. would hold off for quite a while about confiding to co-workers about your situation, jmo) - your situation was sad and touching and your story inspired a lot of ppl to want to help - am so glad everything is looking up and working out, kudo's to you for your perserverance and everyone who was able to help monetarily and even just sending good thoughts - everyone was rooting for you and Im so glad things are really looking up for you - way to go, bboy!

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 11-19-2012 at 07:41 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,919,980 times
You are attracting good things into your life. You have a lot to be thankful for this holiday.

God Bless you and the posters who have helped you. May you are reap great happiness and abundance.

Pay it forward when you get the chance.

In the meantime, enjoy what you have created!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Wow. So happy someone was very generous to give you rent money. I hope they get a million blessings their way as well... Thrilled to hear you are doing great! It must feel so wonderful.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
That's great news that you have a place to stay. It's going to make a huge difference for your outlook, I know, which was already pretty good in dire circumstances. Glad to hear that work is going well, too, and you're getting settled.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 AM

32 posts, read 38,075 times
I'm so happy that things are going so well for you, and I am prouder than I can say of all those who came forward to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City