Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

But wow...wouldn't it be GREAT to live in one of those homes? You could probably snap one up for
£10 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But wow...wouldn't it be GREAT to live in one of those homes? You could probably snap one up for
£10 million.
Oh is that all, Nigel? Quite reasonable, hmmm, yes, hmmm yes, of course, hmmm. Just jog the paperwork over to my solicitor after high tea and I'll have my feather ready to sign the lease!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
I've been looking into Bath Beach and it seems to be just a bit too perfect. I can't find anybody who has a bad thing to say about it there, aside from the hour long commute to Manhattan. It's very well priced both for rentals and purchases, fairly safe by the looks of things, very quiet, family area, pretty decent schools.

So what's the catch?
Now that I learned from the "Interracial dating among younger people" thread that your wife doesn't
like Asian much, both Bath Beach and Bensonhurst might be not be good neighborhoods for your wife.
There are lots of Asian (Especially Chinese)in these two neighborhoods. Maybe that's the catch for
some people.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Now that I learned from the "Interracial dating among younger people" thread that your wife doesn't
like Asian much, both Bath Beach and Bensonhurst might be not be good neighborhoods for your wife.
There are lots of Asian (Especially Chinese)in these two neighborhoods. Maybe that's the catch for
some people.
Don't think for a minute that she's finding out about that until the ink is on the lease.

I'm in love with that entire area, it's EXACTLY where I want to be and exactly where I want the kids to be. She can get over it if she doesn't like it. Boo hoo.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Oh is that all, Nigel? Quite reasonable, hmmm, yes, hmmm yes, of course, hmmm. Just jog the paperwork over to my solicitor after high tea and I'll have my feather ready to sign the lease!

Oh Cicely,
Don't be such a pinchpenny.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
I'm not sure man, you can clearly see nightcrawler sticking his tongue out on top of
the building's roof in the pic.

You know bro, you know it.

Actually, this is where Bath Beach Brooklyn got its name from.
We did have a real beach here long ago, with hotels and the like. It was a resort place, but when economy fell, so did the area.

Everything was paved over when the Belt Parkway came into existance.

If you walk along the shore at the promenade, when the tide goes out you can still see the sand around Bay 8th Street / 17th Ave area. There is always some sand along the asphalt around this area. If the tide goes out far enough, some fishermen will jump the fence and go down there to fish. I am not sure how far the beach actually goes out before it drops, and I guess I never will.....

This is a little Bath Beach History.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Everything was paved over when the Belt Parkway came into existance.

That Belt Parkway REALLY did a job on Brooklyn, didn't it?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That Belt Parkway REALLY did a job on Brooklyn, didn't it?
yeah seriosuly, it would have been nice to have a real beach there, to walk to.

the view really is pretty there as well.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:33 PM

Very interesting history lesson, Nightcrawler, I enjoyed reading that.

But getting back to how things are today, are there a lot of working class American families there too? Or is it predominately foreign. I know when you say "Chinese" or "Russian", but are we talking about folks who last week were kissing their babushka bye bye or are these assimilated families that have been here for a while?

Also are there a lot of Brooklyn-native kids in the public schools in the area?

I know I probably made about 10 racist generalizations/semantics errors there, but I think you know what I mean

Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM

There are still many American people. It is a neighborhood of mixture.
There are the regular amount of kids in the neighborhood as well, as is schools.
Don't worry about racist remarks, this is not school where we all have to be politically correct. it is what it is.

It is regular working class people. nothing more nothing less.
the good thing is we are near the parkway and can get to the city or other parts of Brooklyn really fast, as well as Staten and Long island.
So we are centrally located.

I don't care about the are not being hip and trendy, that is so very not important to me, as I don't want to live anywhere near bars or cafes...................

Google maps us.

Our boundaries are:

14th Ave to Bay Parkway

86th street to the water. It is like a rectangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City