Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:19 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times

Advertisements

OR, you could stay on Staten Island where the hotels give you free shuttle to the SI Ferry to lower Manhattan. On the FREE ferry ride, you pass right by Liberty Island (Statue), Ellis Island, and Governor's Island. You also get a nice view of the new Memorial Building as well as the Verrazano Narrows Bridge at the southern edge of NY Harbor. From the SI Ferry terminal, you can take different subways to get to different parts of Manhattan.

The new hotels on SI are quite nice and there are 2 groupings: The Hilton Hotels (Hampton Inns & Hilton Garden) and a new grouping of 3 different ones, the names escape me at this time, but check on tripadvisor.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 01:23 PM

110 posts, read 200,539 times
Staten Island ferry is actually the best way to see the true population of New York City. As in all other areas of the world New Yorkers practice racial, cultural and religious self-segregation. The Staten Island ferry is the one place where you can see the full panoply of New Yorkers.

And they have food as well!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM

625 posts, read 902,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowclop View Post
Wallet tip is a good one. This may not be politically correct, but you'll generally want to avoid non-white areas, particularly black and non-white hispanic areas. Pretty much any area of Manhattan beneath 100th street is safe. I've lived here for 20 years, and I've never had any problems. Be smart and use common sense.

smh lmao you can't be serious. There's no way you've been in NYC for 20 years and make such a comment. Have you been to Harlem lately? How would you explain the recent shooting of the white guy at Empire State Bldg by his former co-worker. Other people could've have gotten hurt. How about the guy who got killed (drug related) in the fancy Gold Street apt (Wall St area).

I lived in Harlem for over 30 years on Convent avenue and never encountered a problem. Tourists are always roaming around and no one harasses them. Stop scaring the OP with all that Black and non-white Hispanic crap. Crime is crime. You're making it seem as if minorities are waiting on the street corner to pounce. The same people you are talking crap about are the same ones who were giving you water to drink and wash off when you had to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge covered in debris after 9/11. It's about time we stop this bull.

At the end of the day, OP, like anything and anywhere else use common sense. You'll only be here for a couple of days (assumption based on your post). So it seems you'll probably be spending most of your time in Manhattan anyway. Be aware of your surroundings and if it's too good to be true, walk away. Walk with a map, keep a cell phone handy and have money in your pocket. NYC is a great place to visit. I'm sure you'll have fun. All the best.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
If you desperately want to stay in Manhattan: 7 Manhattan Hotel Rooms for $150, More or Less - NYTimes.com

Although I am going to recommend the hotels in Long Island City too.

As for safety, just watch out for those scams they pull on tourists, like the broken eyeglasses scam. Grifters use broken glasses in new scheme to bilk you out of cash - New York Daily News

Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM

110 posts, read 200,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
smh lmao you can't be serious. There's no way you've been in NYC for 20 years and make such a comment. Have you been to Harlem lately? How would you explain the recent shooting of the white guy at Empire State Bldg by his former co-worker. Other people could've have gotten hurt. How about the guy who got killed (drug related) in the fancy Gold Street apt (Wall St area).

I lived in Harlem for over 30 years on Convent avenue and never encountered a problem. Tourists are always roaming around and no one harasses them. Stop scaring the OP with all that Black and non-white Hispanic crap. Crime is crime. You're making it seem as if minorities are waiting on the street corner to pounce. The same people you are talking crap about are the same ones who were giving you water to drink and wash off when you had to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge covered in debris after 9/11. It's about time we stop this bull.

At the end of the day, OP, like anything and anywhere else use common sense. You'll only be here for a couple of days (assumption based on your post). So it seems you'll probably be spending most of your time in Manhattan anyway. Be aware of your surroundings and if it's too good to be true, walk away. Walk with a map, keep a cell phone handy and have money in your pocket. NYC is a great place to visit. I'm sure you'll have fun. All the best.
Yeah Harlem has gentrified lately, so he may be fine above 100th street.

We're talking statistical likelihoods here, not exceptions.

Besides people normally prefer being victimized by their own race, than by another race.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:53 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowclop View Post
Staten Island ferry is actually the best way to see the true population of New York City. As in all other areas of the world New Yorkers practice racial, cultural and religious self-segregation. The Staten Island ferry is the one place where you can see the full panoply of New Yorkers.

And they have food as well!

Agreed.

Last two visits to NYC I have stayed in the Holiday Inn off Wild Ave in Staten Island. It's about a 20 minute drive to the ferry but can definitely be a money saver. I think I paid about 135 a night? This was also in the summer time. The hotel is also very clean and probably not that old. Free parking at the hotel too. You can take Victory Blvd all the way down to the terminal and see a good example of NYC living in the suburbs.

The ferry parking will run you only about 8 bucks and seems pretty safe.

I agree it's a great view of the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan sky line. I do not think you should waste your time doing a statue of liberty visit if you're only going to be there for a day. I've heard wait times can be over an hour long.

The ferry terminal is very busy even at late hours and walking distance to the ferry terminal.

The only downfall to staying in SI at the hotel is that it will take you close to 30 minutes each way. Plus the ferry ride is about 25 minutes. So a commute will probably take you an 1.25 to 1.5 hours each way. Plus once you get to Manhattan you'll still need to jump on the metro and take a 15-20 minute ride up to Times Square area.

If you're not planning on staying out really late SI could be a good option. If you plan on staying out past mid night it might be better to find a place in Manhattan or only a 10-15 minute metro ride away.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:38 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post

Agreed, and I hope the OP doesn't take the advice of an obvious troll and doesn't let his guard down just because he's south of 100th St (which, by the way is where plenty of non-whites work, spend time, and *gasp* live! ).

Old 10-19-2012, 08:15 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I hope you know that at present NYC is considered to be one of the safest large cities in the country. Just use common sense. Don't go wandering in deserted places at 3:00 a.m.

And, excuse the obvious, but start with buying a couple of guidebooks. You don't have to spend $400 a night on a hotel, but you really don't want to waste time on staying outside Manhattan, since it's a short visit.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 PM

49 posts, read 45,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No. The person is probably caucasian. They're the main ones asking "will I be safe" questions.
Yes, I am caucasian, but before anyone suggests otherwise, i'm not asking because of the city's diversity, i'd be asking if i were going to Oklahoma City too... I just haven't ever been there, there's very little i truly know about the city.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:21 PM

49 posts, read 45,692 times
So I'm curious if anyone knows off hand, are there Hiltons/Hamptons in Long Island City? That's likely, given all the recommendations, where i'll look, i'm not ONLY willing to stay at one of those hotel brands, but I do get discounts at those hotels through my employer so that's some incentive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City