U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 11:55 AM

49 posts, read 40,753 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon,

I've never been to NYC ever before, I know about it what I've read, been told, and see on tv. I am planning a trip there next February with my wife to see a show on Broadway (it's a Christmas present that she doesn't know about yet). I plan to get to the city earlier in the day, possibly even the day before, I'm not sure what to see with my time there other than the obvious (Empire State building, Statue of liberty) I'll have a matter of hours to work with if i go up the day of. Long story short what I need to know is where NOT to go within the City (relative to where I'll be) and if I do decide to book a hotel room and go up the day before, can anyone give me a little information on some safe hotels. I don't have the money to lay down 4 or 500 on a room for one night, I understand a $100 room isn't realistic however within the city itself possibly, but as much information as you can give me, I'd appreciate.

I'm not unwilling to book a hotel room across the river from the city in NJ, but if that's the case, are there any additional areas I want to avoid?

Also, any tips for staying safe even inside of the 'safe places'? The most common tip I've heard is to put your wallet in your front pocket.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 PM

110 posts, read 188,129 times
Wallet tip is a good one. This may not be politically correct, but you'll generally want to avoid non-white areas, particularly black and non-white hispanic areas. Pretty much any area of Manhattan beneath 100th street is safe. I've lived here for 20 years, and I've never had any problems. Be smart and use common sense.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:32 PM

38,100 posts, read 38,472,741 times
You might want to consider booking a hotel room in Long Island City in Queens which is just across the East River from Manhattan and has good public transportation (subway) in Manhattan 24/7 as well as short commute to the Midtown area.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:55 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,344,423 times
Sigh...

Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM

5,426 posts, read 7,312,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You might want to consider booking a hotel room in Long Island City in Queens which is just across the East River from Manhattan and has good public transportation (subway) in Manhattan 24/7 as well as short commute to the Midtown area.
This ^

Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowclop View Post
Wallet tip is a good one. This may not be politically correct, but you'll generally want to avoid non-white areas, particularly black and non-white hispanic areas. Pretty much any area of Manhattan beneath 100th street is safe. I've lived here for 20 years, and I've never had any problems. Be smart and use common sense.
No. The person is probably caucasian. They're the main ones asking "will I be safe" questions.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM

466 posts, read 847,161 times
Seconding Long Island City. There are several hotels there that are very close to subway stations and it's a breeze to get to Manhattan. 5-10 minute ride. They should be cheaper thanhotels in Manhattan, and the area is safe. Just don't wander into Queensbridge at night by accident and you will be fine.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No. The person is probably caucasian. They're the main ones asking "will I be safe" questions.
Very little white-on-nonwhite violence in this country. Lots of the opposite. So that makes sense.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowclop View Post
Very little white-on-nonwhite violence in this country. Lots of the opposite. So that makes sense.
You really need to get out more.

There are LOTS of white on white violence in "this" country. California is one state that PROVES this.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You really need to get out more.

There are LOTS of white on white violence in "this" country. California is one state that PROVES this.
I'm out all the time. I didn't say anything about white-on-white violence. I compared white-on-nonwhite violence to nonwhite-on-white violence.

Very little chance this visitor is going to be mugged (or worse) by a gang of white teenage cowards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City