Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,129 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was recently laid off due to a merger and the employer and I decided upon a mutually agreed date (two weeks) by when all the knowledge transfer would be complete.

I would be filing for unemployment.

Can anyone suggest me what to put in the reason for unemployment on the website? I dont want to be put in a condition that the employer denies my claim and says that we didnt terminate you, you resigned.

I never resigned verbally or on paper.

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
This page lists a number of reasons for unemployment:

https://labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo...pplyfaq.shtm#1

Several might apply:
Your job was eliminated
There was an involuntary reduction in force
The company downsized or shut down
The company restructured or reorganized

I'd probably go with restructured/reorganized, because of the merger.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,129 times
thanks for the response.

The date was decided mutually -- although I asked to be let go 3 days earlier because I had a vacation planned. Do I need to state this in my claim?

And should I worry that the emplyer might use it as a sign of resignation, and deny my claim.

Note that I never resigned verbally or on paper, so my employer can prove that I resigned.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
bluem,

Why did you not get their request for your layoff ON PAPER. Think hard, it's rare that this would all have been handled just verbally.

The weekly phrase that you will repeat as a mantra: "lack of work."

When I was let go a million years ago I was asked to resign and could leave whenever I wished. I said that I wanted that request on paper. I showed it to Unemployment and that was that. Had I just resigned I'd probably have had a hard time of it.
(Gosh that was during the "depression" of 1973 and was able to collect for an entire year...first time in history that extensions were applied. The regular checks made for a VERY fun year...all Summer at Fire Island.)

Old 10-20-2012, 12:39 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem View Post
thanks for the response.

The date was decided mutually -- although I asked to be let go 3 days earlier because I had a vacation planned. Do I need to state this in my claim?

And should I worry that the emplyer might use it as a sign of resignation, and deny my claim.

Note that I never resigned verbally or on paper, so my employer can prove that I resigned.
And you can't prove that your termination was precipitated by them.

Sounds to me like you just took a vacation and decided not to come back

Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
I dont want to be put in a condition that the employer denies my claim and says that we didnt terminate you, you resigned.
Alas, that is EXACTLY the position you put yourself in.

Try it though because the administrative judges that hear appeals on disputes have heard a MILLION employers try the same scam to avoid paying more into the Unemployment fund, so they bend a bit for the employee.

Friend was fired by a phone message: "Don't come in on Monday we don't need you anymore. The lock has been changed and you will be told when you can get your things."
Employer said friend had QUIT and he produced the tape (from the old Panasonic Machines that held a cassette) and played it for the judge. That must have been one red faced employer...who, if there was justice in the world, should have been locked up for fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City