Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,959,326 times

Advertisements

I would figure up tuition cost, inquire about dorms (that would be a way smarter move), and get an idea of exactly what you can plan on in the way of a tuition wavier, grants, and loans. Check on entry requirements and all too. Until you calculate all that its all just maybes. The college could probably give you a good idea what you would be eligible for, why don't you contact them and get some information? Will you have help from your parents as well? What are you planning to major in? You maybe able to find some type of job through the college, I would ask them about that as well.

As you want to do well academically, I would start off at a like college in your area. Work on just your grades, then plan a transfer at a later date. You don't want to start out with a bad semester and have to try and play catch up to raise your GPA, that can be difficult. The first semester can be stressful and with a move and other issues, you may not be able to concentrate on your studies like you hoped to do. I don't know if you have decided on a major or not. Some become unsure of their original field of study that first year and end up switching. If you haven't decided a couple semesters locally could be beneficial to get your major figured out for certain. Also if you would transfer, where you go could depend on what you major in. It's always better to go to a school with a well recognized program in your field of study. This can end up being a help when you graduate and try and find a job. Especially in a tight job market. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 PM

368 posts, read 621,087 times
Hunter College is one of CUNY's top colleges, if not the top. If you didn't do so well in high school, you probably will not get accepted. Just because it is a CUNY school does not mean they will accept every and any mediocre student that applies.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,847,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
Hunter College is one of CUNY's top colleges, if not the top. If you didn't do so well in high school, you probably will not get accepted. Just because it is a CUNY school does not mean they will accept every and any mediocre student that applies.
Good point, so the OP might want to apply to some of the lesser known CUNY's as well, such as the College of Staten Island. That doesn't mean the OP shouldn't apply to Hunter, but you need to apply to other schools as well.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:39 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,817,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianaA View Post
Since i didn't do my best in high school , grade wise (B's & C's),
Quote:
As extra information i plan to get a major in English and i possibly get an internship at a publishing company that could turn into a permanent job in publishing.
Quote:
I also plan to get some grants, and scholarships, and pull out some student loans.
You’re setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM

471 posts, read 1,825,556 times
BrianaA, are your parents helping you with this decision? I co-sign with the others with going to a local school first then transfer if the grades are iffy. My son wants to go to school in NY as well and I have checked out the CUNY colleges as Julliard is ridiculously expensive! However, my son will have the financial help of family and I refuse to let him go into debt, and also extended family will be looking out for him who live in the city. Further, he's a music major and plans to assist grandpa with the music program NY Public schools. He's also very familiar with the city. I can ask the family about the schools and how it would be for out of state students (I am sure they know some of them) and report back to you. Also, can you tell me more about getting a tuition waiver? Do you plan to visit the campuses of the colleges you are interested in? Last, I'm not saying it's not doable, but just do your research because NYC isn't an easy place to be with the money situation and academic situation not in order.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Smile Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post

I wanted to add that think of the CUNY system as the UC system. They have criteria just as much as the UC system and I have heard of some at-risk but very high achieveing students not getting into the "good" CUNY schools. So get up that GPA and try to do well on the SAT's, because like photostoresheila said, because it is a CUNY school does not mean they will accept everyone. And if they do, it could jeopardize the amount of grants and scholarships that may be awarded to you. If you are still in High school, try to take those concurrent classes that are offered by UCLA and grade well in those if you still won't do the community college route.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,890,496 times
I should have interjected earlier, since I know something about this - CUNY processes applications at a central location and using a preliminary set of basic criteria. If you are an out-of-state student, admittance is not at all a given. They find places for New York residents ... and there, city residents above all. The less prepared students that are in the community colleges are always city residents, or their records are not as bad as one might have thought.

With Bs and Cs, your basic program of application might help. If you indicate interest in a less populated program, your chances of being accepted might be a bit better.

With those grades, as well, you should definitely try to visit and work with an admissions counselor - if these still exist.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,890,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
Also, can you tell me more about getting a tuition waiver?
If she meant the state-sponsored programs, New York does not have a tuition waiver program. Barring very very recent legislation about which I have not yet heard, which is always possible. I know nothing at all about the program in California. Do those tuition waivers apply to out-of-state tuition ?

If she meant something campus-connected such as tuition waivers for employees, these are usually connected to full-time work. Columbia is an exception, I do not know about any others.

To the OP: Almost every student here in the liberal arts is an English major, and all go for internships at publishing houses. Not so many end up being full-time positions, and those that do are usually filled by trust-funders (or those with monied spouses) because the pay is around $30,000 (or less) - cannot live on that here otherwise, and especially not when a requirement for maintaining a certain lifestyle is sort of built into the job.

Unfortunately, these are the brutal facts.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Thanks Harlem resident, I know the UC system has a tuition program whereas if the household income is below a certain amount tuition is free. However the admissions process especially to the popular UC's like UCLA make admission almost impossible without very high SAT's and exceptional grades. I never heard of any programs in NY like that before, that's why I was like Thanks for clarifying...

Last edited by RoadTripGurl; 01-02-2013 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: