Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:55 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I would use a mini suitcase.. Lol
I saw this person buy a crap ton of clothes at C21 and then turn around and buy a suitcase to carry them all home in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I saw this person buy a crap ton of clothes at C21 and then turn around and buy a suitcase to carry them all home in...
suitcases are nice and secure, easy to roll around once you get off the train/stairs

Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
suitcases are nice and secure, easy to roll around once you get off the train/stairs
And it always looks so tacky. Not the true traveler but those you know are moving within the city, usually FOB people. You know they didn't just buy them cause they look very well worn. And don't tell me everyone is either borrowing one or getting it from storage.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
And it always looks so tacky. Not the true traveler but those you know are moving within the city, usually FOB people. You know they didn't just buy them cause they look very well worn. And don't tell me everyone is either borrowing one or getting it from storage.

Tacky schmacky. Who cares? As long as it gets the job done.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:46 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
then i guess im damn tacky with my secure food

Old 01-26-2013, 02:36 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Tacky schmacky. Who cares? As long as it gets the job done.
That's why I'm fine with my patio twisty thingies to carry groceries back home. Only $3.50 each at Kmart and 1 lasts a lifetime. 4 total is all I need and I love the easy calorie burn. Keyword easy.

I'd never use a cart, limo, or suitcase, personally. Much too cumbersome compared to my method.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
One of these days I'll weigh what I carry back on a moderate trip and a heavy trip using my method. Just guessing off the top of my head, I believe I've hauled over 40 lbs easily over both shoulders (20+20, a borderline heavy trip. Maybe more- I've never weighed the stuff but I will now, to prove a point).

And come to think of it, my method doesn't look tacky, to be honest.

Signed,
grimace8, trendsetter

Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
One of these days I'll weigh what I carry back on a moderate trip and a heavy trip using my method. Just guessing off the top of my head, I believe I've hauled over 40 lbs easily over both shoulders (20+20, a borderline heavy trip. Maybe more- I've never weighed the stuff but I will now, to prove a point).

And come to think of it, my method doesn't look tacky, to be honest.

Signed,
grimace8, trendsetter
I EASILY top out over 50-60 pounds for a bigger trip to ALDI'S, COSTCO, and TARGET and that AIN'T getting dragged home without something on wheels...it's a long way from the East River to Second Avenue bus back downtown. I have my cart tied to a wooden handle, connected by a leash and it follows behind me on its back 2 wheels even at a jogging speed or a run for the bus.
My only problem is up and down the bus steps on the older buses...new ones with platform entry are a breeze.
I could go every couple days to my local markets, Gristede's, Fairway. D'Agistino's, Key Food, Food Emporium, and Zabar's East, and Pioneer but I would likely double my food bill that way, and doubling my food bill is something I'd rather not do.

Last edited by Kefir King; 01-26-2013 at 03:33 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
That's why I'm fine with my patio twisty thingies to carry groceries back home. Only $3.50 each at Kmart and 1 lasts a lifetime. 4 total is all I need and I love the easy calorie burn. Keyword easy.

I'd never use a cart, limo, or suitcase, personally. Much too cumbersome compared to my method.
And that's fine. What I am trying to point out is whatever works is okay and that people shouldn't be concerned about how it looks.

Due to my age and physical limitations, I have to depend upon something with wheels. I don't care what they are attached to as long as they get the job done and my old lady shopping cart does the trick. However I must admit now that the hipsters in my neighborhood are coming up with a lot of more fancier versions with covers that have arty designs, more wheels for stability sleek new appearances, I might be willing to trade in my old model for a new more spiffy one.

My eighty seven year old neighborhood did just that and boy, you ought to see her rig! Proudest granny on the walk to Safeway!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
NYC should institute "Granny Cart Races" where everyone gets 40 pounds of cans and goes for the gold. (Minimum age: 50.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City