Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:12 PM

30 posts, read 87,520 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

Tried to do a search for the boroughs question but didn't do good enough to find an answer. What does that mean.

And yes, another I want to move to NYC post. Won't be bringing a car but want to stay safe and relatively close to the Manhattan area (work is off 42nd + 5th). In my dreams I live close to a park, and down below are the deli stores, restaurants, shops, grocery...etc.

Have a $2k budget.

What does fee & no fee broker mean? Have been talking to a realtor guy about rentals but he hasn't explained what this means. One of the places I liked said it was a "no fee" and asked if I was ok with this.

TIA and sorry for another redundant post about relocation and neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 03:18 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,184 times
If you're willing to live with a roommate you can pretty much go where you want on 2k a month.

If you want to be alone, you probably don't want to try Manhattan but just about anywhere in Brooklyn and Queens will work. If you really want proximity to Manhattan try Astoria, Queens. I think it's about a 2 minute subway ride to the Upper East Side and it's right in (probably under) your price range. Not sure about parks out that way though. If you're willing to stretch your commute a few more minutes you could do Sunnyside, Queens, but be quick about it though, it's probably going to get expensive soon.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 PM

30 posts, read 87,520 times
thanks RC1981. I think there were a couple options in the Astoria area that I had liked.

And of course I assume not all of Brooklyn and Queens is bad. I am just one of many who has let TV and media control the way I feel about those cities. But with that in mind, what are the areas to avoid?

Old 10-22-2012, 03:35 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwm23 View Post
thanks RC1981. I think there were a couple options in the Astoria area that I had liked.

And of course I assume not all of Brooklyn and Queens is bad. I am just one of many who has let TV and media control the way I feel about those cities. But with that in mind, what are the areas to avoid?
Check out the SAFETY MAPS thread at the top of the forum.

Generally ppl tend to avoid from 96th street all the waaaaay up to Fordham Road.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 PM

393 posts, read 782,890 times
I second Astoria as being a good choice if you are looking for a vibrant and relatively affordable neighborhood close to work in Midtown. You can find a good apartment there for 1,600-2,000 depending on what you are looking for (new construction being more expensive than prewar buildings). Your commute would be really short and easy. There are a lot of great places to eat there, and a good amount of bars with a 20 and 30 something crowd. Some nice areas in Brooklyn will also fit into that price range, but the commute is longer. In Manhattan, 2,000 won't get you far. You can find a decent place for that price in the Upper East Side (I'll agree that you shouldn't go above 96th though), but it will be on the smaller side. It also helps to know what you are looking for in terms of nightlife/food/liveliness. It gets a little dull uptown compared to trendy neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens.

As for the fee and no fee, no fee is always better because that means you don't have to pay a broker fee. It's tough to find a no fee apartment that you love unless you have a lot of time to look. In Manhattan, the standard broker's fee is 15% of the annual rent, so if your apartment is 2,000, you would have to hand the broker 3,600 before you can sign your lease. Doesn't matter how much work the broker did or didn't do. If there is a broker involved, either you or the landlrd has to pay that fee. When there is a no fee, that means the landlord is paying it.

Another good thing about looking in the outer boroughs is that the standard broker fee there (depending on the neighborhood) is one month's rent. One thing about Astoria is that it's very hard to find a no fee place there, but compared to Manhattan's hefty broker fees it's not so bad.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:39 PM

110 posts, read 200,581 times
You can find plenty of apartments in Manhattan below 2k, especially if you sublet.

I live in an apartment 2 blocks from Washington Square Park, and it's $1550/month.

A good unconventional way to find an apartment is to print out flyers with your contact info and the price range you're looking for, and slide the flyers under building entrances in the neighborhoods that interest you. Bound to get something that way.

Last edited by drowclop; 10-22-2012 at 04:49 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 07:34 PM

70 posts, read 238,173 times
I live in South Slope/Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn. The area is super safe and full of families. Prospect Park is a 5 minute walk away, which is awesome because they have free concerts in the summer. My boyfriend and I used to split a spacious studio for $1200/month, now we live in a one bedroom in the same building for $1500/month. We paid no broker fee.

I used to work on 42nd and 3rd and my commute was about 50 minutes door-to-door (depending on the train, which can suck at times). I see your job is on 42nd and 5th which is right off the F train.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elletee View Post
Prospect Park is a 5 minute walk away, which is awesome because they have free concerts in the summer.
Really!? What are some of the artists that performed there? Are they like no-name people that you'll get mad because they're making noise at night or are they actually well known acts that you get to go to?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM

70 posts, read 238,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Really!? What are some of the artists that performed there? Are they like no-name people that you'll get mad because they're making noise at night or are they actually well known acts that you get to go to?
I don't hear the music from my apartment, but some pretty awesome musicians perform there! I got to see Norah Jones and Andrew Bird, for example. The concerts are organized by Celebrate Brooklyn and they usually get big names to perform the kick-off performance. After that, the rest of the bands aren't household names - but still good indie music (i.e. - Junip, Little Dragon, Blackstarr). Sometimes big acts come though, but these are paid concerts. Just so you're aware, free concerts are performed in Central Park too - check out Summerstage for info.

Also, Symphony in the Park is performed a few times each summer and they have a fireworks show at the end of it.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
If you are interested in Queens I would suggest Astoria. If you are interested in Brooklyn, I would suggest Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City