Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times

Advertisements

NYC is popular as ever with tourist from all around the globe. Channel 7 also said " ... the problem with these jobs is they are usually low paying".

This is not really true in Manhattan hospitality. Most of these restaurant & hotel waiters , bartenders make bank working at these places . I know of someone that in a days work makes $128.00 in wages + $250 in gratuity + $150 cash in total. This is on an average day not including any overtime which is usually available also @ $26/hr + tips . Keep in mind that there also free employee meals.

Many NYC hotels are unionized therefore you have dirt cheap healthcare among other perks that come with a union job such job security and pension after 25 years with union I think.

I wouldn't call this a " low paying job" by many standards. So I wonder why the media always refers to these jobs as low paying ???

The "low paying" jobs are the ones in smaller , mom & pop shops such as grill master or delivery boy. But restaurants, luxury hotels & condo workers in Manhattan make better $$ than alot of people. It is still frowned upon as a job by many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM

393 posts, read 783,009 times
I don't know anyone who works in hotels so can't really comment on that, but I'm sick of the city being constantly pimped out. There are so many areas in the city that residents really can't enjoy because they are completely flooded by tourists all year long. Tourists have always been a part of city life, but it's getting crazy. I guess the good thing is that they are rarely spotted in the outer boroughs, so at least you can get some relief there.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:22 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
NYC is popular as ever with tourist from all around the globe. Channel 7 also said " ... the problem with these jobs is they are usually low paying".

This is not really true in Manhattan hospitality. Most of these restaurant & hotel waiters , bartenders make bank working at these places . I know of someone that in a days work makes $128.00 in wages + $250 in gratuity + $150 cash in total. This is on an average day not including any overtime which is usually available also @ $26/hr + tips . Keep in mind that there also free employee meals.

Many NYC hotels are unionized therefore you have dirt cheap healthcare among other perks that come with a union job such job security and pension after 25 years with union I think.

I wouldn't call this a " low paying job" by many standards. So I wonder why the media always refers to these jobs as low paying ???

The "low paying" jobs are the ones in smaller , mom & pop shops such as grill master or delivery boy. But restaurants, luxury hotels & condo workers in Manhattan make better $$ than alot of people. It is still frowned upon as a job by many.
Your math isn't adding up and/or is certainly confusing.

In any event, what are you talking? $1000 per week cash? Maybe $1500? Even if it is cash, you gotta pay taxes!

Well, if you feel $26 per hour is high pay, or more importantly that such an hourly wage can, in NYC, buy you a house, a new car, pay for college for your kids, etc, with little struggle, then I guess it is "high" pay.

If not, then it most certainly is low pay, barely affording a lower middle class NYC lifestyle, almost impossible to afford a down payment for a house, and regulating one to 'marginal' neighborhoods at best!

What is it that YOU want from life?

Hourly wage or Salary? Overtime or BONUS?!

Does the average "hospitality" job pay near or above a standard six figure salary? Is there matching (or matching plus) employer 401K contrubution? Is there a year end bonus? Fairly standard in Finance (and I'm NOT talking a week or 2 week 'Christmas' bonus!) These "free" meals, do they feed your family? In these "union" jobs, can you advance based upon merit? Can you double your salary in a year? Is your salary determined by how hard and/or smart you work?

Your viewpoint is determined by whether you are seeking a "job" or a "career"?? Individual achievememt, Individual worth, or 'collective' marginality. There is a reason the Hospitality industry involves Unions and Finance is governed by Individualism and merit and NOT Unionism.

In Finance and general business, the golden rainbow is the fat promotion with the corner office, title, fat bonus, a dominon over a bunch of worker bees to make it all happen.

In Hospitality, where's the rainbow? Maybe you rise to hotel management, but for most, how do you take advantage of years of experience? You get to risk it all by opening your own restaurant or other establishement, the odds of which are you will lose it all.

Give me Finance and business, and the shot at the corner office! Plus the hours, while in the beginning may be long, but are far more normal, and eventually lessen, offer more freedom (for the competent), and your weekends and nights are your own!

Hospitality, can be a good alternatve, particularly if one lacks the educational credentials for Finance (a hospitality degree is a LOT easier!), or lacks the socialbility or wherewithal to succeed in a business environment. Hospitality is a good area, also, for those of limited education with which one can rise from busboy to head waiter with little, but hard work and effort.

So, its really all about finding the right place you and your ambitions.

Not everone wants to sit behid a desk. Not everyone wants to deal with the public/tourists. Some prefer merit bonuses vs tips. Some prefer indiviual benefit vs proscribed collectivism regardless of individual effort or merit.

Some people don't want to work, nor work too hard; nor do they want to be judged on their performance and ability. Some people resent others earning more for working harder. Some people resent others working less and earning the same.

Some people think mana from heaven should rain down upon them simply for breathing. Others think the harder/smarter their effort the more mana they are due.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:38 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times
That's if work if your life. Work is just to pay the bills. I am lucky to have union job which I am free 90% of the. I have huge interest in current events & Journalism on all levels. I use this "down time" to catch up on everything from NYTimes , TIME mag & National and Local news blogs. I do this in preparation for a career ( i hope) in Broadcast Journalism

Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Does the "Hospitality Industry" include hookers and hustlers? If so I agree.
As any economy falls to pieces, the sex industry is the one that always thrives.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post

Most don't pay well on books. In the average hotel yeah there are a few drawing a really good salary but all the people who work behind the scenes washing dishes, laundry, cleaning rooms, etc, they are not making bank I assure you.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
In general moving from Finance to hospitality (service industry) is a major trade down in salaries and education. So while I am ok with less of a focus on finance because it is really toxic for NYC and distorts the market (residential), we should acknowledge that it does change the dynamics of NYC.

If NYC is strategically expanding its worker base, and focusing on diversifying its economy instead of relying heavily on the finance industry for tax revenue etc, then I am on board and think this is a wise move for the future of NYC. If NYC is simply suffering from a decline in finance jobs and only able to replace these jobs with lower paying/lower education workers, then that is a bad thing for NYC. So it depends.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
The city/state have done some things to bring more tech sector jobs here but it's gonna take at probably at least 10 to 15 years before we start seeing any effect from that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City