Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's a phrase. The phrase is denoting judging a person before knowing that person.
Well, it's a misplaced phrase in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 07:50 AM

484 posts, read 854,807 times
why would you want to live in a building that is giving you a hard time to be accepted by the board in the first place. There was no welcome mat. He should have invested his time finding another place that he would be greeted not frowned upon....... Unless he is into S&M I know those Brits love a good spanking on the bum.....

Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 AM

484 posts, read 854,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
They probably looked at the photos in his facebook album and decided they didn't want a 25 year old band member living in their coop. Probably worried about what kind of noise he'll make or what kind of noise his guests will make.

The Goldwyn Experiment - ReverbNation
kindah creepy how SOME posters go as far as hunting this stranger down and stalking his facebook an other personal sites......... wow if I had that much extra time in my life I would volunteer MORE and help people in much need.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:11 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
why would you want to live in a building that is giving you a hard time to be accepted by the board in the first place. There was no welcome mat. He should have invested his time finding another place that he would be greeted not frowned upon....... Unless he is into S&M I know those Brits love a good spanking on the bum.....
It is the principle that counts. We are suppose to be in a nation where there is no discrimination. However, when things like this happen, I feel that a law suit is appropriate, and in some cases, not enough. Think about it like this. Many people only understand their wallet getting hurt.

Your point is valid. That man could have spent his money somewhere else where he was wanted. That being said, if people want to discriminate in the manner he was discriminated in, they will do it. Free market rules say if you discriminate, you lose a potential customer, and money that comes with that customer. However, in a limited market, that might work. This is New York City. There are probably thousands of people seeking to be part of a co-op, and because this man was considered a drop in the bucket, it was easy to be selective. It was no loss for them. In this case, the only thing people understand is a lawsuit.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:13 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, it's a misplaced phrase in this situation.
Not really. The person was being judged unfairly, and because of that, he suffered for it. The idea behind what I said was that the persons would have rather been wrong and discriminated against him because of the idea of "I would rather be wrong and treat him unfairly than to have a risk".

Old 10-27-2012, 02:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Not really. The person was being judged unfairly, and because of that, he suffered for it. The idea behind what I said was that the persons would have rather been wrong and discriminated against him because of the idea of "I would rather be wrong and treat him unfairly than to have a risk".
Then we will have to agree to disagree in this case. It's only your opinion that he was judged unfairly and I don't see how you could possibly know that. It's already clear he wouldn't exactly be many co-op boards favorite candidate based on the content (profanity, rock bands, references to drugs) of his social media sites.

And since we don't have access to his financial package, then we really don't know if there could be even more valid reasons he wasn't accepted. Except... strangely enough, you seem to know for a fact that he was judged unfairly.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:08 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,075 times
Why are people already made up their mind that this is about race?? You don't know all the facts. It is only what he says. Wait until we hear the other side of the story. What if there already blacks, latinos or Asians living in this C0-OP. Just wait and see. Give me a break.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Why are people already made up their mind that this is about race??

Because it probably IS!
New Yorkers have been around this block MANY times before.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:45 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
I agree Peerage. As soon as they would have asked me to translate my California "english" legal documents to New York "english" documents, I would have known THEN that I was NOT wanted and some "colorism/classism" issues could be involved.

I still feel this way regarding this man regardless of all the posts "trying" to show him as some sort of potential "degenerate" tenant. I'm not fooled.

But like you said, I will never, ever BEG for a job, man, apartment, home, etc. It's stupid and all it does is pump up the egos of the person you're groveling too. NEVER, EVER.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
kindah creepy how SOME posters go as far as hunting this stranger down and stalking his facebook an other personal sites......... wow if I had that much extra time in my life I would volunteer MORE and help people in much need.
It is, which is why I ditched facebook awhile back. I was hardly ever on it anyway. What made me make up my mind once and for all to ditch it was when I logged in and it asked me to confirm if "such-n-such" was my sister, because "she" said I was. I knew this was false, because my sister doesn't get down like this on facebook.

I called her and asked her if she told facebook this and she said she would NEVER tell facebook that and the scary part was that I didn't even use my REAL NAME!!

I don't NEED a facebook page and neither does anyone else. If you want to know what's going on in my life, call, text or email me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: