Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 11,186 times

Advertisements

Is a daily commute from Bronx to Brooklyn doable by subway? How painful would it be? Or would it be better to drive?

Based on the very helpful information on this forum we are considering living in Pelham Parkway or Morris Park neighborhoods of Bronx so that one of us can take the 5 train to Manhattan and then the N train to Brooklyn, and the other can drive north to their job in CT.

I greatly appreciate your help and thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
depends where in Brooklyn

Old 01-07-2014, 05:27 PM

77 posts, read 133,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps4all View Post
Is a daily commute from Bronx to Brooklyn doable by subway? How painful would it be? Or would it be better to drive?

Based on the very helpful information on this forum we are considering living in Pelham Parkway or Morris Park neighborhoods of Bronx so that one of us can take the 5 train to Manhattan and then the N train to Brooklyn, and the other can drive north to their job in CT.

To which part of Brooklyn? Absolutely possible but more than likely quite long (I'd budget at least an hour to be safe) if you're not a fan of long commutes. Getting from one outer borough to another outer borough via public transit generally isn't a fast proposition, but you're probably not going to be that better off time-wise via car (not to mention the stress factor). Have you tried using Google Maps during peak rush hour traffic to estimate driving times?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Try the MTA trip planner to estimate your subway commute time. Make sure to select a weekday at the time you are commuting. If you put in a Sunday or a night, you might get a slower result.

MTA NYCT - Trip Planner+

Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:

It depends on commuting times and how far into Brooklyn you need to go.If anyone has to commute from The Bronx to Brooklyn the 5 line is definitely the best because during rush hours it runs express in The Bronx and Manhattan.You can get from Morris Park or Pelham Parkway all the way downtown in about 30 minutes.Probably be able to get a seat both ways too.You might be able to do it in under an hour to Brooklyn.

I did the opposite commute,from Brooklyn to The Bronx,for many years.It required 2 subway changes and then a bus to get to work every day.

The subway would definitely be better than a car unless you are talking about a very off hour commute.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-07-2014 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:

You can take the 5 train from either of those stations to 14th street and then the N train--- I go from
Dyer avenue (even further) to 36th street in Brooklyn (Sunset Park) total time about 1 hour.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Traveling around in the outer boroughs you're generally make much better time by car.

Ex. From North Bronx to Central Queens by car is 25 minutes. By public transportation its two hours.

Use one of the services like mapquest or Google maps to put in your departure and arrival location. That way you can time the distance between the two locations and see what the driving commute will be like.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 11,186 times
Thank you all for the information. I will try Google Maps and the MTA website as per your suggestions.

It would be the 8th Ave station on the N train in Brooklyn. So, based on the estimate by bilmin, I am figuring it'd be about an hour.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:01 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Traveling around in the outer boroughs you're generally make much better time by car.

Ex. From North Bronx to Central Queens by car is 25 minutes. By public transportation its two hours.

Use one of the services like mapquest or Google maps to put in your departure and arrival location. That way you can time the distance between the two locations and see what the driving commute will be like.
Better time bay car during rush hour,on the Bronx River,the Bruckner ,the Triboro and the BQE ????? No way.Op needs to get from The bx to SW Brooklyn,not Queens

Nightmare after nightmare after nightmare.

It's more than 30 minutes at 2 am with no traffic.Rush our could easily be 1.5 hours most days.Have done it many times,just to Williamsburg.Plus 15.00/day just in tolls.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:20 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the information. I will try Google Maps and the MTA website as per your suggestions.

It would be the 8th Ave station on the N train in Brooklyn. So, based on the estimate by bilmin, I am figuring it'd be about an hour.

there are some 5 trains that go express and some that go more local-- it really depends on the time you would be going and coming. I change at 14th street because I have found that to be the easiest change and thinking about it I probably shorted you by about 10 minutes and given that you are going 4 stops more on the distant end I would say you would be closer to 1 hour and 15 minutes on your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City