Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times

Advertisements

Im sorry that the fire fighters died rescuing people but in the long run it should have taught the city that they are not ready for the socalled storm of the century where it totaly destoryed the area .I been trying to tell everyone i work with there in the city be ready because one day it going to happen and you better be out of the area or have supplies to deal with it intill the power is turned on and things are back to nomal

I have been saying this for years we are going to get a massive storm of the century one year and it going to be total out of control type living among those who are in the city when it happened .My girl thought i was joking when i told her to pack up the kids and the mom and dad and get on a plane and come out to Az intill this thing blew over .But now when i say leave she has gotten the message loud and clear when i say it goin to be bad and i'm not joking she knows to leave the city and get away from the place

My girlfriend and her family was amazed by what i had out into those plastic storage totes everything from a sat phone to small workable type led lanteens to use at night and small cook stove set up for making up meals in the place .I have four large totes and three meduim sized totes filled with items to keep the people safe and sound during storms or blackouts as it needed

Along with a list of the items in the house that should be used first to keep them from spoiling her father goes i see you do this before and i told i been through a couple of storms and few other diasters in my life .I talked them on the sat phone and made sure everything was all right with them before trying to get back there on friday morning .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 02:05 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
watch your step and what's above you too

from the daily news- In Richmond Hill, Queens, a 23-year-old taking cellphone photos of a power line that caught fire suffered a horrific death after she stepped on a live wire on the sidewalk and fell to the ground, screaming.

"She was right on top of the live cables and they were just frying her," said neighbor Renny Bhagretta, 44, who watched from his window on 134th St. Monday night. "She couldn't move. She didn't have a chance."

Police, firefighters and Con Edison workers couldn’t get near the victim for almost hours because cables strewn all over the roa were still sparking.

"Her body was burning" said neighbor Asha Bhagaretti, 43. "It was just horrifying."

Last edited by grimace8; 10-30-2012 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: ugghhhghh using a phone to post

Old 10-30-2012, 02:37 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Was just out walking around the area.

Everything below Avenue V here in the area around Ocean Parkway seems to be without power. This includes the traffic lights, so it's likely an accident waiting to happen all over the area.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
watch your step and what's above you too

from the daily news- In Richmond Hill, Queens, a 23-year-old taking cellphone photos of a power line that caught fire suffered a horrific death after she stepped on a live wire on the sidewalk and fell to the ground, screaming.

"She was right on top of the live cables and they were just frying her," said neighbor Renny Bhagretta, 44, who watched from his window on 134th St. Monday night. "She couldn't move. She didn't have a chance."

Police, firefighters and Con Edison workers couldn’t get near the victim for almost hours because cables strewn all over the roa were still sparking.

"Her body was burning" said neighbor Asha Bhagaretti, 43. "It was just horrifying."
The same horrors seem to happen after every hurricane. It's so predictable. Every high school should have a "How to Prepare for a Natural Disaster" course or workshop. Everyone thinks they are invincible -- or they don't know the dangers. It's VERY sad.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
Im sorry that the fire fighters died rescuing people but in the long run it should have taught the city that they are not ready for the socalled storm of the century where it totaly destoryed the area .I been trying to tell everyone i work with there in the city be ready because one day it going to happen and you better be out of the area or have supplies to deal with it intill the power is turned on and things are back to nomal

I have been saying this for years we are going to get a massive storm of the century one year and it going to be total out of control type living among those who are in the city when it happened .My girl thought i was joking when i told her to pack up the kids and the mom and dad and get on a plane and come out to Az intill this thing blew over .But now when i say leave she has gotten the message loud and clear when i say it goin to be bad and i'm not joking she knows to leave the city and get away from the place

My girlfriend and her family was amazed by what i had out into those plastic storage totes everything from a sat phone to small workable type led lanteens to use at night and small cook stove set up for making up meals in the place .I have four large totes and three meduim sized totes filled with items to keep the people safe and sound during storms or blackouts as it needed

Along with a list of the items in the house that should be used first to keep them from spoiling her father goes i see you do this before and i told i been through a couple of storms and few other diasters in my life .I talked them on the sat phone and made sure everything was all right with them before trying to get back there on friday morning .

No city firefighters died. I believe I may have heard of one in CT that passed, but I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
18 confirmed deaths in NYC due to Sandy. Approx. 30 people killed in the Tri-state area.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM

Tottenville in Staten Island has lots of damage.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:59 PM

MTA buses are running on a weekend schedule.

Coney Island hospital is being evacuated.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:59 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Coney Island Hospital being evacuated.

Damn you Chava! LOL

Old 10-30-2012, 04:01 PM

NYC parks are still closed until further notice.

Street cleaning rules are suspended tomorrow/Wednesday.

No recycling pick-up until further notice but there will be regular garbage pick-up.

Criminal courts will be closed in NYC tomorrow/Wednesday except for emergency matters and arraignments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City