Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 AM

6 posts, read 10,370 times

Advertisements

Good luck to you buddy. I just need a change of jobs. Something with benefits. You can go on usps.com/careers. Last week I saw that the post office was hiring for the distribution plant in long island. Post office jobs are only temporary now also but they pay well. Give it a **** if its still tthere

Old 12-08-2012, 06:35 AM

316 posts, read 489,526 times
I'll take a look and see, thanks for the info.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 AM

97 posts, read 165,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBanker View Post
I'll take a look and see, thanks for the info.
Just hang in there, ur real close, within 6 mos hopefully they will try to hire some more people

Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM

91 posts, read 158,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELTING? View Post
Just hang in there, ur real close, within 6 mos hopefully they will try to hire some more people
Some guys in my garage have said there gonna call three more classes starting in feb or march. Good luck to everyone waiting

Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,391,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox0999 View Post
Some guys in my garage have said there gonna call three more classes starting in feb or march. Good luck to everyone waiting

thats an odd time. Still winter....night plow and all.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM

91 posts, read 158,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
thats an odd time. Still winter....night plow and all.
True, could just be bull****, but I def think they will hire a few more classes next year

Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 AM

8 posts, read 35,769 times
greetings ...if there is some good snow overtime this winter...it will be combined with the recent storm cleanup overtime...its also been said that 1993 was a big hire year for dsny....these 3 factors,can be the perfect storm....they are very rare....many will look to take advantage of it by retiring....of coarse everyones situation is differant...but members who currently have 19 years or better...will have to give it some serious thought....i would expect to see higher then normal retirements in 2013...the only question will be how much higher....this obviously will benefit those on the job,with additional seniority.and it should help those on the list waiting to be hired....the more members get out the deeper into the list they will have to go to replace them....there might also be a lag from when the current list expires ,and the new one is up and ready to be used...so in order not to be caught short going into next snow plow season,they might hire some extra to be ready for the snow....the christmas storm from a couple of years ago.. the one where the mayor was out of town as were some deputy mayors,and the ones who were here were m.i.a. when it came time to make decisions,taught the mayor and city government a good lesson....they will make sure they dont repeat the mistakes they made then....last time they took it for granted assuming everything would be alright,as it usually is...it wasnt.....they got burnt...from here on in they will do whatever they can to make sure they dont get burnt again....the public and the press,were all over them.....one of the deputy mayors m.i.a. during that storm was goldsmith.....the man who wanted to micro manage d.s.n.y.....he was the one who came up with the plan to demote the supervisors,and increase the workload of those still in the rank,with no additional compensation.....when the storm hit he was in washington d.c.and didnt want to come back when he was called....he is now history...and the city hopefully learned a valuable lesson....dont mess with d.s.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 AM

269 posts, read 496,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk-9 View Post
greetings ...if there is some good snow overtime this winter...it will be combined with the recent storm cleanup overtime...its also been said that 1993 was a big hire year for dsny....these 3 factors,can be the perfect storm....they are very rare....many will look to take advantage of it by retiring....of coarse everyones situation is differant...but members who currently have 19 years or better...will have to give it some serious thought....i would expect to see higher then normal retirements in 2013...the only question will be how much higher....this obviously will benefit those on the job,with additional seniority.and it should help those on the list waiting to be hired....the more members get out the deeper into the list they will have to go to replace them....there might also be a lag from when the current list expires ,and the new one is up and ready to be used...so in order not to be caught short going into next snow plow season,they might hire some extra to be ready for the snow....the christmas storm from a couple of years ago.. the one where the mayor was out of town as were some deputy mayors,and the ones who were here were m.i.a. when it came time to make decisions,taught the mayor and city government a good lesson....they will make sure they dont repeat the mistakes they made then....last time they took it for granted assuming everything would be alright,as it usually is...it wasnt.....they got burnt...from here on in they will do whatever they can to make sure they dont get burnt again....the public and the press,were all over them.....one of the deputy mayors m.i.a. during that storm was goldsmith.....the man who wanted to micro manage d.s.n.y.....he was the one who came up with the plan to demote the supervisors,and increase the workload of those still in the rank,with no additional compensation.....when the storm hit he was in washington d.c.and didnt want to come back when he was called....he is now history...and the city hopefully learned a valuable lesson....dont mess with d.s.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news..I really do.....but here it is. Unless a storm comes in the next couple of weeks 2012 has nothing but one Sunday and four hours of OT from the snow at the beginning of the year. And this is the reason why.....wait for it.......FEMA MONEY IS NOT PENSIONABLE. Sorry guys

Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,620,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen6275 View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news..I really do.....but here it is. Unless a storm comes in the next couple of weeks 2012 has nothing but one Sunday and four hours of OT from the snow at the beginning of the year. And this is the reason why.....wait for it.......FEMA MONEY IS NOT PENSIONABLE. Sorry guys
When you do your taxes leave your FEMA stubs at home.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 AM

36 posts, read 62,753 times
DSNY pays your paycheck.....u WORKED for those HRS! the city just gets reimbursed by FEMA its your salary no matter how u earn it....plenty of guys are leaving in the next few months! u cant get a better year then this unless u work 2 months straight in snow and who knows if thats comming....SI and queens guys especially since they got all this sandy overtime....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.