Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,144,953 times

Advertisements

Anyone that has seen my posts knows that I have had issues with my previous landlord. It was a sublease and as of right now he deducted about 400 for repairs to the downstairs apartment even though he was in the wrong. He also decided to take out 40 for a shower mat he had ordered after we moved in.

He states the mat is necessary because any other would damage the glazing he has done. The problem is mat has little circles where water would collect causing mildew and mold. We are clean people and tried everything to clean the mat. The problem was the tub isn't sloped enough to funnel the water so some would collect. We tried for months gave up and threw it out.

My question is can he charge me for a bath mat when it wasn't there when we moved in. Plus I believe that the glazing thing is crap. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,819,782 times
$40 for a bath mat?

LMAO!!

H No!

The only problem is you'll need to go to Small Claims court to deal with the issue.

As for your other issues, no recollection whatsoever.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,705,075 times
He can, yes. What you have to decide is whether it's worth your bother to fight it. I'm guessing that if you write him a stern letter and threaten small claims court, he'll probably back off - or else not show up in small claims, which then you'd win by default.

Sounds like this guy is a real prize.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times
I've never heard of a landlord providing a shower mat...how bizarre.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,144,953 times
I know right. He insisted only this one place on Long Island makes it to protect the glazing he did before we moved in. But the tub is garbage because it won't flow the water to the drain. You would have to push it so it didn't cause mold or stagnant water. To clean that thing? My god.

I guess I could have given it back to him but it was covered in mold. I worked on it for 2 hours and still couldn't get it clean. The 400 is a whole other issue where he failed to do his job. Look at my other postings for that. We are still fighting that. I don't see how that's the ONLY thing that protects the tub. But whatever.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:19 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,249,761 times
I thought mats only prevented a person from slipping? We used one when we first got married but I ended up tossing it. After every shower I would remove the mat and hang it over the tub so it would dry underneath but the worst was it would catch all my hair and get all snagged under the suctions--gross. If we got too lazy I would pull it once a week when I cleaned the bathroom and spray it with Tilex and scrubbed it with a brush. I finally had enough and tossed it. The tub wasn't slippery and it was fairly brand new.

As for the apartment downstairs, if you have all your communications to him send him copies and advise that you will bring him to small claims court for failing to remedy the problem.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times
They don't last long until they begion to decompose...maybe a year?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 AM

531 posts, read 2,900,741 times
I had a similar situation many years ago. About a week before I moved out, someone (not me) broke the glass in the front door of the building. Landlord claimed it was me and withheld my deposit. I took him to small claims court, he didn't show up, I "won". Winning in small claims court really means nothing as you then need to collect from the person yourself, the courts won't help you. Ultimately he re-opened the case, although I don't know how this was allowed, and showed up this time. He lied, I told the truth, they believed him and that was that.

Don't waste your time with small claims court, it's a hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City