Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,201 times

Advertisements

Recently a bunch of NYC DOB inspectors showed up to my home while no one was available and left all kinds of nasty paper work indicating several work without permit violations. Some of the work they complained about (garage door to wall conversion) had been done to the home decades ago before the house was bought. Am I still liable for this? The other work they had complained about, such as the awning had been done 5+ years ago, only to have the Inspectors show up now in regards to a work without permit violation. My family has been living in this home 10+ years without anyone of these kind of run-ins. The work done on my house (awning) was by some family friends who were DIY guys. So there was not exactly any permits issued here. How do I fight this effectively? What if we can not afford permits? What If we don't tear anything down? What If we were to simply ignore the whole situation, what would happen then?
Everyone in my family is either working or in school, so people just don't have time. I am fairly sure there is no safety hazards in this violation, especially in regards to structural integrity. Mostly Class 2 stuff. Looks like The DOB just wants permits on work that was done many years ago.
tl;dr work was done several years ago, DOB wants permits now. I'm ****ed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City