Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by W33ZER View Post
OH THE IRONY OF IT ALL!

Here we all are on long island in the trenches, eyes on the ground.

Sandy hits and FEMA does an awful job... while at the same time spending $. Those living in FEMA camps (largely in Jersey) talk of feeling like a slave... told not allowed to use cell phones, intimidation, etc. Just a step above concentration camp status

Now theres a fight in congress and on the main stage of the political arena about MORE FUNDING (more FEMA!) needed for relief for hurricane sandy victims.

As I said in my first post... is anyone scratching their head?

FEMA didn't do much.... now we need MORE FEMA $ to "SAVE" the people?
Utter bull****. FEMA wired people money who were displaced by the hurricane, and I was one of those who received said funds.

However, its up to the person to be responsible and find a new place to stay, and rent it. If you lost your job its up to you get apply for unemployment, get it, and get a new job.

FEMA does not take care of people, that has never been their mission.

I also temporarily stayed with relatives during all this, and a few friends offered me a place in their homes too. If someone still has a job or sufficient income, they could go on craigslist and rent a room even.

Those living in these alleged camps were retards who refused to deal with their own circumstances. But they will have to, unless they want to be homeless indefinitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 AM

30 posts, read 43,295 times
why are people so dependent on the Government and not self reliant during an emergency. In the old days neighbors helped neighbors. Now people don't help and want Uncle sam to fly in to the rescue. Doesn't anyone learn after Katrina. People need to learn to "Depend on Yourself, not on the Government"

Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYorker View Post
why are people so dependent on the Government and not self reliant during an emergency. In the old days neighbors helped neighbors. Now people don't help and want Uncle sam to fly in to the rescue. Doesn't anyone learn after Katrina. People need to learn to "Depend on Yourself, not on the Government"
People still do help family members and close friends during these kinds of emergencies. I suspect many of those who go through long term homelessness after an event like this had issues such as mental illness or addiction LONG BEFORE the STORM struck. So they're just using this as an excuse.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
People DID help each other, if they didn't lose their house. But how long can your family live in your sibling/friends/parent's living room???

Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
People DID help each other, if they didn't lose their house. But how long can your family live in your sibling/friends/parent's living room???
That's true, but what was the person doing before the storm? If they were working or had income before they storm they shouldn't need to stay in someone's living room long term. If the person still has his or her job, then they can save up for a new place. If you lost your job due to the storm, there is disaster unemployment insurance.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Maybe they just don't in New York.

In NJ, volunteer opportunities to help the bayshore communities devastated by the storm are printed in the paper every week and volunteers show up to help in droves.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's true, but what was the person doing before the storm? If they were working or had income before they storm they shouldn't need to stay in someone's living room long term. If the person still has his or her job, then they can save up for a new place. If you lost your job due to the storm, there is disaster unemployment insurance.
And where are they supposed to live while they are saving up? Again, I'm in NJ, not NY, but there's a huge shortage of apartments available because so much housing was lost. The motels and hotels are still full, and around here, they are renovating/reopening the apartments at Fort Monmouth, the Army base that was closed in September of 2010, and moving Sandy families in. I'm sure it can't be that different on SI and in the Rockaways as far as housing issues go.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
UI pays a max of about $400 a week, before taxes. Not enough to live on, especially if you have a family. Jobs are hard to find, even crappy part-time jobs. Most people I know have used every bit of their savings to find new places. Most still don't have furniture, pots, dishes, beds. My friend and her kids (adult) just had mattresses on the floor. Her kids saved up and just bought her a bed. (great kids!). Locals have been very good and donating things so that is helping people restock wardrobes and kitchens. (Which reminds me that I have a set of pots for her.)

Flood insurance is NOT paying claims. Without that, it's impossible to replace every single thing that you've lost.

P.S. There is also a housing shortage now as so many people are looking for apartments.

Last edited by NYChistorygal; 01-19-2013 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: P.S.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:01 AM

So what is the point/purpose of FEMA if not to help people until they can find housing?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
UI pays a max of about $400 a week, before taxes. Not enough to live on, especially if you have a family. Jobs are hard to find, even crappy part-time jobs. Most people I know have used every bit of their savings to find new places. Most still don't have furniture, pots, dishes, beds. My friend and her kids (adult) just had mattresses on the floor. Her kids saved up and just bought her a bed. (great kids!). Locals have been very good and donating things so that is helping people restock wardrobes and kitchens. (Which reminds me that I have a set of pots for her.)

Flood insurance is NOT paying claims. Without that, it's impossible to replace every single thing that you've lost.

P.S. There is also a housing shortage now as so many people are looking for apartments.
FEMA does not provide long term support. They just don't, and they never have.

Its up to the disaster victim ultimately to figure out how to rebuild their lives.

And insurance does pay claims, I had renters insurance during the storm and I got compensated for my losses.

And yes, its up to the disaster victim to ultimately get a new job. Can it be hard? Yes, but so is life in general. So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City