Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

Yeah I know Bruckner will be down and out for about 3 more weeks, but the other places are picking up the slack and doing well. I will make my rounds this weekend and see what's up. I will have another 2 bedroom apt available the 1st of the year...if I get more interest from Bushwick people again...that will confirm to me that there is an exodus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think "flocking" would be occuring, but I wonder whether there is increased interest. There probable won't be, but it is something that crossed my mind so it must have crossed other peoples' minds as well.
The Bronx has coastal areas that flooded during the hurricane too. The Bronx has high grounds in the west Bronx neighborhoods (which is why they end in heights). How is this any different from Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Queens? The only parts of those boroughs that flooded where the ones by the river/ocean. The other boroughs have higher ground areas too, and really all you have to do is move inland and wala! no flooding for you.

You're acting like all of BK, Qnz, and Manhattan was underwater with no escape from the raging surges.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Interesting...could be just anecdotal...but we shall see. I am sure if there is a story to be told about increased interest in uptown due to the storm/downtown concerns, the NY Times will be telling it.

As for this specific topic however, I think people find Bushwick and Mott Haven comparable, so if they are willing to live in Bushwick, you can live in Mott Haven for much less/larger apt...at least that's my theory based on limited info admittedly!
They can live in Brownsville too. Much cheaper and roomy.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM

There are 2 places that experienced flooding in the Bronx...a 2 block radius around Bruckner Bar and Grill which is directly under the 3rd ave bridge, and City Island. Compared to Brooklyn and Queens which had huge swaths of areas literally under water....yeah...kinda different.

I am simply wondering whether this will prompt a rethinking of where people live, and if uptown and Bronx see more interest. Relax..I know you are a self-hating Bronxite (Southern Bronx in particular)..it is simply posing a question.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 PM

23 posts, read 35,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
On the subway going to work on both Brook and 3av stations you see sprinkles of snowflakes waiting for the 6 train
Sprinkles of snowflakes. LMAO. Can't stop chuckling over this image.

This snowflake is off to sleep, but thanks for the guffaw.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM

That is a funny metaphor....to be sure there are more snowflakes coming...but the blizzard will probably never be here. Aat least not in my lifetime, but who knows these days..life seems to be changing so fast.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
That is a funny metaphor....to be sure there are more snowflakes coming...but the blizzard will probably never be here. Aat least not in my lifetime, but who knows these days..life seems to be changing so fast.
The hype train is real... As long as you have people completely over-exaggerating level of comfort for certain areas like Bushwick/Bedstuy/Mott Haven/Harlem, the potential for a blizzard is always there... That being said, unless drastic changes take place, the chances of that blizzard being permanent is fairly low... It's what happened with Bushwick... A boatload of people from the midwest moved into Bushwick around 2010 but many have left since then... Some get replaced by other hipsters, others by the section 8 users but I really don't see a potential for a significan change to Bushwick QOL-wise simply due to the fact that it doesn't have the aesthetic appeal and housing that other neighborhoods such as Bed-stuy/Crown Heights/Harlem have... What they try to do instead with Bushwick to bring in those potential long-term investors is put condos on every vacant lot they see... That being said, unless the 2010 term hipster begins to include young kids who come to this city with $300,000 to drop, I don't see these types of condos 64 Palmetto St - Google Maps taking off with those long term investors anytime soon

Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM

That's a pretty hideous development completely out of character with the neighborhood. I will keep you posted on my next tenants. I have a 2 bedroom coming available around January...and I currently have interest from an MTV Real World cast member (a prior year) who is trying to put a deposit down but I am waiting until the apt is ready and see what interest I get.

To be continued...

Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The hype train is real... As long as you have people completely over-exaggerating level of comfort for certain areas like Bushwick/Bedstuy/Mott Haven/Harlem, the potential for a blizzard is always there... That being said, unless drastic changes take place, the chances of that blizzard being permanent is fairly low... It's what happened with Bushwick... A boatload of people from the midwest moved into Bushwick around 2010 but many have left since then... Some get replaced by other hipsters, others by the section 8 users but I really don't see a potential for a significan change to Bushwick QOL-wise simply due to the fact that it doesn't have the aesthetic appeal and housing that other neighborhoods such as Bed-stuy/Crown Heights/Harlem have... What they try to do instead with Bushwick to bring in those potential long-term investors is put condos on every vacant lot they see... That being said, unless the 2010 term hipster begins to include young kids who come to this city with $300,000 to drop, I don't see these types of condos 64 Palmetto St - Google Maps taking off with those long term investors anytime soon
You forgot Washington Heights and Inwood, but I do agree. Reps. I hope that building is made out of organic sheetrock and artisnal glass from Holland.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:27 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You forgot Washington Heights and Inwood, but I do agree. Reps. I hope that building is made out of organic sheetrock and artisnal glass from Holland.
You mean artisan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City