Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:06 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The Burning Bush, for the most part, is flamed out! Bushwick prices are almost on par as Williamsburg! The "hood" left those two parts of Brooklyn some time ago!

Case in point: a couple of years ago, I looked at a duplex on, I believe, Wycoff and Hart. Selling price was in the 400's. Bushwick, y'all, Bushwick! Although the housing market crash may have brought that down, I think the continued gentrification of that neighborhood has made that property recover quite a bit! JMHO!

The QOL issues in Bushwick are nowhere nere what it was 30-35 years ago! Trust me on that one! Trust me, I know.....I grew up not too far from Bushwick! I've seen the change and know the difference.

And don't be surprised to see Mott Haven with the same changes. I give it less than 10 years!
This has to be one of the stupidest most ridiculous posts I've read on this entire thread and there have been a couple big ones...

KEEPING CRIME OUT OF REACH | www.timesnewsweekly.com | Times Newsweekly

There is NO part (I repeat NO PART) of Bushwick where "the hood" has left... People mix up East Williamsburg (Mckibbin Lofts, Morgan ave, Roberta's, Bushwick projects area, etc. for Bushwick instead of East Williamsburg all the time...) Bushwick itself remains the hood regardless of what people try to convince themselves of... You want to speak facts and talk about Bushwick... begin the discussion from Jefferson ave on the L train on. The hipster presence even in the supposed hipster mecca of Bushwick by Jefferson is block by block. One block where there's 2 entire buildings (new construction on wyckoff are chock full of hipsters (a total of maybe 35-40 people)... the next block between irving and knickerbocker on jefferson? About 60% Puerto Rican 20% Black 15% Ecuadorian/Mexican/Dominican 5% hipster (they occupy one building... I know that block very well)...

This is the Beginning of Bushwick... From there the hipster presence only dwindles. Please stop these gross ridiculous idiotic exaggerations... I'm tired of setting the honest record straight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
I have always felt that in the end the hipster/gentrification wave will eventually flow to already *good* neighborhoods rather than penetrate further into the ghetto. That's why I see far more potential for Queens and Southern Brooklyn long term than places like Bushwick or much of Harlem.

Contrary to common wisdom, most transplants/hipsters do not enjoy living in the ghetto. Williamsburg blew up because it never was a ghetto to begin with when it was discovered.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
This has to be one of the stupidest most ridiculous posts I've read on this entire thread and there have been a couple big ones...

There is NO part (I repeat NO PART) of Bushwick where "the hood" has left... People mix up East Williamsburg (Mckibbin Lofts,..
Yeah, for some reason I thought McKibbin Lofts were in Bushwick.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

There is NO part (I repeat NO PART) of Bushwick where "the hood" has left... People mix up East Williamsburg (Mckibbin Lofts, Morgan ave, Roberta's, Bushwick projects area, etc. for Bushwick instead of East Williamsburg all the time...) Bushwick itself remains the hood regardless of what people try to convince themselves of... You want to speak facts and talk about Bushwick... begin the discussion from Jefferson ave on the L train on. The hipster presence even in the supposed hipster mecca of Bushwick by Jefferson is block by block. One block where there's 2 entire buildings (new construction on wyckoff are chock full of hipsters (a total of maybe 35-40 people)... the next block between irving and knickerbocker on jefferson? About 60% Puerto Rican 20% Black 15% Ecuadorian/Mexican/Dominican 5% hipster (they occupy one building... I know that block very well)...
I remember taking the M shuttle bus through it, all I saw were hispanics, then finally, I saw one hipster cafe near Myrtle Broadway. OH MY GOD!!!

Area has far more in common with City Line/ENY then Williamsburg.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
I knew that the McKibbon lofts are technically east williamsburg. But I just went with it for the sake of the thread. Tons of people refer to the area as Bushwick these days. But it's not, as anon points out.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I have always felt that in the end the hipster/gentrification wave will eventually flow to already *good* neighborhoods rather than penetrate further into the ghetto. That's why I see far more potential for Queens and Southern Brooklyn long term than places like Bushwick or much of Harlem.

Contrary to common wisdom, most transplants/hipsters do not enjoy living in the ghetto. Williamsburg blew up because it never was a ghetto to begin with when it was discovered.
I dont think areas of QUeens and South Brooklyn are not desired by hipster Transplant folks due to distance from Manhattan, and yes certain areas like Queens, South Brooklyn and even certain parts of the Bronx like Pelham Parkway and Throgs NEck have better quality of life and reseaonable cost of living however these areas are just too far for folks like Transplants. The reasons why Astoria and Williamsburg, got hit with gentrification due to its close proximity to Manhattan and not because of not being ghetto even though these areas are not ghetto at all. Gentrification wont flow into a good neighorhood which is burried deep in the boroughs of QUeens, Bronx and Brooklyn.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:

Contrary to common wisdom, most transplants/hipsters do not enjoy living in the ghetto.
This is what I been saying and thinking for a long time.
Greenpoint was never a bad neighborhood but its getting a bunch influx, so is western Queens neighborhoods like LIC and Astoria. (LIC being somewhat industrial offers the loft appeal and Manhattan proximity, despite its old reputation of being a drug and prostitution hub)
Bushwick might get greater gentrification due to its proximity to Williamsburg but its influx isn't following the pace of other neighborhoods.
Some of these neighborhoods have gotten more expensive but like I said before there plenty of other affordable neighborhoods in Brooklyn ( and many more in Queens) to be had.
I also think most of these people would rather live 15 mins further from Manhattan on a subway ride, than to put up with QOL issues when the rent isn't considerably cheaper.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:

I negate this areas such as Les has had and even still.has qol issues and still recieved full gentrification, lets see how well Harlem pans out in gentrification.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Harlem will never fully gentrifiy. Some areas like East Harlem below 110st and West Harlem below 125st might, but the rest is still hard core ghetto and the polticians/movers and shakers up there aren't going to let newcomers shake up their power base. The one bad neighborhood I do see becoming very nice is Crown Heights/Bed-Stuy. It's the hood, but it never even in it's worse days was as bad as Bushwick or Bville. Outside of that, Much of east Brooklyn, West Bronx, and Harlem is going to stay hood.

The next big area IMHO is Jackson Heights. The 7 train, great food, very safe and nice housing. Anywhere along Queens Blvd is prime too IMHO. Same with Sunset Park and Midwood in Brooklyn.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:43 AM

579 posts, read 945,709 times
Quote:
Harlem will never fully gentrifiy. Some areas like East Harlem below 110st and West Harlem below 125st might, but the rest is still hard core ghetto and the polticians/movers and shakers up there aren't going to let newcomers shake up their power base. The one bad neighborhood I do see becoming very nice is Crown Heights/Bed-Stuy. It's the hood, but it never even in it's worse days was as bad as Bushwick or Bville. Outside of that, Much of east Brooklyn, West Bronx, and Harlem is going to stay hood.

The next big area IMHO is Jackson Heights. The 7 train, great food, very safe and nice housing. Anywhere along Queens Blvd is prime too IMHO. Same with Sunset Park and Midwood in Brooklyn.
I disagree about the West Bronx. The area around the Concourse near Yankee Stadium both east and west are already seeing gentrification. The areas further north are ripe for reinvestment given the infrastructure that exists: art deco housing stock (charm), comparatively cheaper housing (cost), and quick and efficient public transportation to Manhattan, other areas of the Bronx and Westchester (don't need a car).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City