Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times

Advertisements

Funny thang about down here in Southeast Lousiana, there are no gun control people down here after Katrina, none lol. U can take the most liberal minded person in New Orleans, that made it threw Katrina, then talk gun control with that person, and yall thank ur talkin to a flamin NRA member.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:29 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
Ah yea, and a trip to the ice house to fill all my ice chests up with ice. We let the fridge get a little bare in Hurricane season, can't tell u how many times I've lost everythang in the fridge.
case of flashlite batteries, boxes of ammo, cases of water, plenty of dried foods, thangs many of u will have next time a hurricane is predicted to hit yall.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
I'm not sure about the places being the 'superdome' (seems like they were the 'superdome' before the Hurricane...but that's another story) and I've haven't been in the city, but I drove in an area around the projects today in SI and from what I'e noticed more people were hanging outside than usual for this time of year. Seems like with the electricity off and school being out, more of the kids are out than normal given the weather.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

What AREN'T you people afraid of?
"You people" ? Which "people" ?

You must have that constant companion - your crystal ball - out again.

I do not believe this person mentioned anything that would allow you to situate him/her in a "people."

Old 11-01-2012, 10:11 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
pic posted by channel 4 reporter:
Twitter / JonVig4NY: Desperate families in East ...
some East Village residents search through dumpsters for food
That is called treasure hunt. My Chinese neighbor brought back a big bag of food from a dumpster next to Whole Food Market in LES. She gave my wife a bunch of it. At first, we didn't want to take it. Then we checked what was inside and shocked. 3 dozens of organic brown eggs, golden and orange peppers, eggplants, all fresh and good to eat. I guess Whole Food just dumped all grocery along with spoiled meat and milk.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default The truth is the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Because most people would rather engage in erroneous and quite self-serving "political" positioning that has, to make matters worse, no basis in reality.

I could add ... Breezy Point, for example, is just so terrible, one woman we know whose house burned to the ground after it completely filled with water or perhaps while it did, animals dead ... Having no power and that's it - maybe not so bad.

But I understand about the roaming bands of unsupervised teenagers. Stay away from them. And post about them here with caution, because some people will always read "BLACK!!!!" followed by "racist!" [because they probably are] or "he think he white" into that, and then begin bashing you.
Hi Harlem resident,

the OP is just stating what she has observed in those areas. I think she should call it like she sees it without being concerned about people thinking she's racist. Some people want to stay in denial regardless of what is going on. They think "BLACK" when they read her post because they know when it comes to hordes of young men hanging around on the street in NYC nine and a half times out of ten they're primarily Black, Latinos secondarily. People who live here know this if they're honest. Yet, some posters on C-D want to act as if they have no idea there are group of young men hanging on the street in packs in NYC ghettos and projects, especially after dark. When it's brought to these posters attention, instead of them just quietly accepting the truth they become indignant and argumentative. They pretend to be "shocked", "surprised", even "offended"! Then they proceed to tap-dance around the stone cold truth. Let them go ahead and surmise amongst themselves that it's a group of White boys from Iowa or Kansas in town hanging out in front of the projects. I say to such posters as the ghettos peeps would say "get outta heah with that (crap)!"

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-02-2012 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Language - if the filter blocks it, please don't try to get around use of the word

Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
That is called treasure hunt. My Chinese neighbor brought back a big bag of food from a dumpster next to Whole Food Market in LES. She gave my wife a bunch of it. At first, we didn't want to take it. Then we checked what was inside and shocked. 3 dozens of organic brown eggs, golden and orange peppers, eggplants, all fresh and good to eat. I guess Whole Food just dumped all grocery along with spoiled meat and milk.
Foods are terrible thing to waste. There were people who do dumpster diving even before Hurricane
Sandy. Supermarkets and restaurants in the US throw away billions of perfectly good foods everyday.

Maybe your neighbor got it from here.

Dumpster divers swoop in to grab $40,000 worth of pricy fresh food

Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
I think the OP have some legitimate concerns with looting and personal safty because of the situation
in downtown Manhattan. I read news of looting in Coney Island and some Queens neighborhoods the
last few days already. Although is not out of control big riot looting right now, but who knows how bad
it might go if no power, no water and no foods continue. People will loot when things go desperate and
no help insight.

Op mentioned people defecate in the hallways in the public housing projects is probably true also, when
you have no water to flush the toilet and it's full. Some people might do it outside their home instead of
stinking up their own apartment inside.

And looters comes in all race and color, but I will bet the majority of the looters are from the projects
because that's where the poorest people are from, have nothing to do with the race but the social
economics of the people living in the projects. These are also the people who don't have the means
to prepare themselves for situations like Hurricane Sandy.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:04 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,489 times
When times get rougher, either economically or in this case when natural disaster strikes, it's always the poor people who suffers the most, there is no mystery. With that being said, I feel sorry for all Americans who lost their home (or even maybe a family member) but my thoughts go out to all my Haitian friends and their families who got hit by misfortune once again, and in a much worse manner than the US.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:01 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Hi Harlem resident,

the OP is just stating what she has observed in those areas. I think she should call it like she sees it without being concerned about people thinking she's racist. Some people want to stay in denial regardless of what is going on. They think "BLACK" when they read her post because they know when it comes to hordes of young men hanging around on the street in NYC nine and a half times out of ten they're primarily Black, Latinos secondarily.
The reason they think "BLACK" is because that's what the poster intended them to think. Any suggestion otherwise belongs in the "disingenuous" file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City