Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
to hell with the tourists. I care about NYC, NJ, and all other places affected in the east.
The people affected need to have their cities' economies remain as strong as possible for rebuilding.

Like it or not, tourism is a big part of NYC's economy. It's your city's 5th largest industry.

George Fertitta: What Tourism Means To New York City

Many affected have jobs related to tourism. Do you want them to lose their homes and their jobs too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It does bring tens of millions into the city. However like I said, with so many pulling out or not able to get there, I think this could end up being like the party that people don't show up for. Planned for ice cream and cake for 50 and only the kid who is lactose intolerant and the other kid who is allergic to everything show.

If that happens, it's a lot of resources wasted on an event that doesn't bring in a whole lot of revenue. Classic Catch-22.
If people can't get there, it should be postponed to the near future.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
these other NYC area events will also take place this weekend?

Miami Heat at New York Knicks......Tonight in Manhattan

Toronto Raptors at Brooklyn Nets......Tomorrow in Brooklyn
Like many things in New York, this debate is really about money and class. This tragedy, as so often happens, has disproportionally affected poor and working class families. The marathon is perceived as an affluent pastime whereas basketball has a broader appeal.

The decision was made very early, on Tuesday if I recall, before people realized the full extent of the challenges. It was meant to demonstrate the city’s resolve and determination to recover. I don’t fault their motivation.

Once the subways are fully functional, which could be soon, a lot of the criticism will die down. It won’t help the Rockaways or Staten Island, but the will calm tempers in the city as a whole.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 AM

241 posts, read 372,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The people affected need to have their cities' economies remain as strong as possible for rebuilding.

Like it or not, tourism is a big part of NYC's economy. It's your city's 5th largest industry.

George Fertitta: What Tourism Means To New York City

Many affected have jobs related to tourism. Do you want them to lose their homes and their jobs too?

Are you in NYC, or just a spectator here?

I'm guessing column B.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Like many things in New York, this debate is really about money and class. This tragedy, as so often happens, has disproportionally affected poor and working class families. The marathon is perceived as an affluent pastime whereas basketball has a broader appeal.
The irony is that many of the poor and working class probably have jobs in tourism via housekeeping jobs at hotels, etc.

Canceling events could result in staff lay offs until tourism improves. That's a double blow to work class people affected by the storm.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,858 times
People are complaining because it takes resources i.e. police away from helping getting the city back to normalcy.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 AM

241 posts, read 372,995 times
Quote:
The irony is that many of the poor and working class probably have jobs in tourism via housekeeping jobs at hotels, etc.

Canceling events could result in staff lay offs until tourism improves. That's a double blow to work class people affected by the storm.
It's ONE event! They are not closing NYC forever. Just ONE damn event.

Forget running, your favorite sport is of the spectator kind.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
There are EMS tents every mile plus about 80 EMT's and paramedics on bikes riding the route. Each tent is staffed with a three to eight EMS. Mostly EMT's and paramedics although they often get some nurses and doctors that volunteer. There are less at the start, progressively more towards the finish--minimum six EMS per tent once you get to the 20 mile mark (the "wall"). I get this from my EMS husband who is also a marathoner. (No, he isn't running this year, he's run it twice in the past and hates the NYC course with a capital H.)

So using an average of four per tent that's 179 plus an extra 20 or so at the finish--let's call it an even 200 as some are nurses/doctors who volunteer and are not part of the NYC EMS. Police presence is at least that, probably double it. That's an awful lot of manpower.

Not really--have you ever seen a marathon course after the race? It's insane. Completely buried in paper cups, fruit rinds, power gels packs, discarded clothing, and assorted other flotsam and jetsam.

True, although the marathon will still take additional resources for the race route.

Not arguing that at all.

I don't think it's just SI. It's also lower Manhattan, parts of Queens and Brooklyn, it's going to take months to clean it up and I do believe that the marathon is taking away a lot of city workers who would be better leveraged as assets towards the recovery effort at this point.

I agree to an extent, there are far too many people waiting for rescue instead of helping themselves, but I'm guessing you've never been to a marathon, never run one, never volunteered at one. I have, and the resources they take to operate are enormous.
i've been to the NYC marathon, i've volunteered at the Steamtown Marathon. I grew up a mile from the start of the Steamtown Marathon. Relatively quickly after the start, it's passed through my neighborhood, some volunteers clean up, and the rest of the day it's like it didn't even happen.

and, i know the resources it will take. i'm just not convinced those people would otherwise be in Staten Island or the Rockaways helping out, if not for the marathon.

If every single person complaining about the marathon is currently volunteering in the relief efforts...then maybe i'm convinced. but even those people are sitting on their couches with their internet and power (of which, i still lack) and criticizing from afar.

my friend that lives in Tribeca says "no water, no power, but everything is fine". People handle these things differently. The fact is...most people are fine, and some people are panicking.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
By the way, if the marathon is cancelled, all entrants get a guaranteed spot in 2013 but their entry fees are NOT refunded or applied towards next year. The majority of entry fees go towards over 50 charities supported by NYRR. Discuss among yourselves.
very true. my friend would be on the hook for $6,000, though most of that was donated to him through friends for the charity he is running with. people are overlooking the amount of money this event raises for the charities, many of which can use it now, more than ever, in the recovery.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Channel 2 news reported that the 6 massive generators that they have to keep the runners warm in the tents can power over 400 homes that are without power. Is a marathon that is going to clog up the city at a time during a recovery really a priority right now???
i'm sure the 2 massive generators my company is running so we can be at work can power the entire town I'm in. but no one is complaining about that.

No one is complaining about Goldman Sachs requiring their employees to drive in if they must, to get to work on Wednesday, yesterday, and today.

I bet a lot of small businesses starving for customers cannot wait for Sunday, though.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
It's not that easy. In two weeks the Philadelphia and Brooklyn Marathons run. Then you run into the Thanksgiving Day parade, then the St. Jude, the following weekend there are several large events.

After that you run the risk of snow--the elite runners won't risk injury to run in snow.

So unless you want to postpone it until April--where you'll run into the grand daddy of them all--Boston, and several Rock & Roll Marathons, and then it gets too darn hot to race until fall without people dying on the course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City