Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,448 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

Trying to find a place with decent rent, and stumbled across some apartments in zip 11206 (Border of Williamsburg/Bushwick/Ben-Stuy) on Cook St. Seemed pretty good since it is so close to the J/M & the G lines, and just wanted some info about the area. Any info about this area (any generalities, safety, good food, places to avoid/place to see) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Probably around Woodhull hospital? I'd think there would be a good amount of crime around there. On Cook street, you'd be better off by the L than the G.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:48 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Probably around Woodhull hospital? I'd think there would be a good amount of crime around there. On Cook street, you'd be better off by the L than the G.
Actually most of the G is in safer areas than the L... There is more action along the L however... Btw, if you see cheap apartment listings in East Williamsburg out of all places... that should be a dead giveaway on the area... Also I haven't passed through Cook St. in awhile but a couple of things I do know is that it's a short block (about 2 or 3 avenues) and when it crosses with Bushwick near Flushing its right in front of the Bushwick houses which is still one of the shadier PJs in Brooklyn... Had a bad year last year as well... Also, unless they tore down some factories along that avenue to build an apartment building... there's only one house on that entire block... The rest is industrial... Before taking the plunge I'd definitely go to check out the area and see if you'd be okay with living there... Cook really doesn't see too much action but if I were to qualify the level of crime in terms of the NYC safety maps... That area starting at Bogart through evergreen would be an orange and once you hit Bushwick ave while facing the PJs it'd be a high orange/low red type of area...

Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 PM

Since the OP said it is by the G I'd guess its the Cook street on the west side of the Bushwick houses by Broadway Triangle. Surrounded by all different PJs.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,448 times
Thanks for all the information. Just went and visited and it didn't seem too bad (granted this was during the daytime, and i heard there can be some difference based off this forum). I guess there has been some residential development on cook between Manhattan and Graham (where the apt was).

So from reading the forums, I know the Bushwick houses has a reputation, but I also noticed some other large complexes in the surrounding area. Are the "Lindsay Park" Housing complex and Borinquen Plazas also PJs?

I guess ultimately how would it be walking back at night either down broadway from the Lorimer Stop, or down graham/montrose from the L, since these would be the most common. Is this like an "avoid at all costs" or more "just pay attention."

Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 PM

You also have Sumner, Tompkins and Marcy PJs not to far to the south. I find Broadway in general to be pretty shady.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer55 View Post
Thanks for all the information. Just went and visited and it didn't seem too bad (granted this was during the daytime, and i heard there can be some difference based off this forum). I guess there has been some residential development on cook between Manhattan and Graham (where the apt was).

So from reading the forums, I know the Bushwick houses has a reputation, but I also noticed some other large complexes in the surrounding area. Are the "Lindsay Park" Housing complex and Borinquen Plazas also PJs?

I guess ultimately how would it be walking back at night either down broadway from the Lorimer Stop, or down graham/montrose from the L, since these would be the most common. Is this like an "avoid at all costs" or more "just pay attention."
Here's a map of all the official (meaning, run by NYCHA) projects in the city. Borinquen Plaza is a project, but Lindsay Park is not. But consider that some apartment complexes can be just as bad as NYCHA (Not saying this is the case here, but just saying in general). I think Borinquen is relatively tame, though.

For what it's worth, you have the B43 bus running down Graham, and the B46 running down Broadway. I don't know if you'd prefer to wait for a bus, rather than walking home. (The B46 would only save you a few blocks, but the B43 would save a decent walk). The problem is that they run once an hour at night (and I think the B43 doesn't run between 1AM & 5AM). Well, in any case, it's something to look into. But I think it would be more of a "just pay attention" area.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Here's a map of all the official (meaning, run by NYCHA) projects in the city. Borinquen Plaza is a project, but Lindsay Park is not. But consider that some apartment complexes can be just as bad as NYCHA (Not saying this is the case here, but just saying in general). I think Borinquen is relatively tame, though.

For what it's worth, you have the B43 bus running down Graham, and the B46 running down Broadway. I don't know if you'd prefer to wait for a bus, rather than walking home. (The B46 would only save you a few blocks, but the B43 would save a decent walk). The problem is that they run once an hour at night (and I think the B43 doesn't run between 1AM & 5AM). Well, in any case, it's something to look into. But I think it would be more of a "just pay attention" area.
Lindsay Park is a Mitchel-Lama co-op. Good. Boriquen Plaza is NYCHA and it's not good. A lot of gang activity.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City