U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 03:23 PM

943 posts, read 3,977,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
what we need to do is give condoms out to prevent all these young kids from having kids. That will slow the population growth.
I don't think that is the main problem. I would say people having more children than they could afford is a problem. If I was rich I would want like 10 kids. Why not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 PM

274 posts, read 267,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
no, NYC population has shown very little increase in the last 60 years, your conclusions are faulty
Big Apple, Southern cities tops in growth - USATODAY.com

Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 PM

25,267 posts, read 38,765,134 times
they actually need to regulate the zoning so that these developers dont overbuild on the lots trying to make a buck....this is how neighborhoods get ****ed up.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:20 PM

81 posts, read 392,136 times
LOL, "stop accepting more people"? How on earth would they do that? It's not like you have to pass through a gate and show a ticket and there's a guard there who could say "Sorry, ma'am, New York City is full. We're not letting anyone else in!"

Old 10-13-2007, 08:24 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,942,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
the first time NYC showed a population gain in 50 years was in the 2000 census, check your facts before commenting
Actually, I did check my facts... And a link was even posted to prove it to you.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:54 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,275,036 times
I think there will be a major demographic shift much sooner than many of you think. Many poor in upper manhattan, the bronx, and other "ghetto" areas will be forced out of NYC completely as a result. It is happening in one fell swoop in many areas. Very easy to get rid of the poor here. Simple as pie.

Factors:

Tight rental market. Insane competition for apts, even at "outrageous" rents and/or in "sketchy" areas.

Renovation of existing housing stock/new construction for middle class and wealthy.

Wholesale displacement of the poor. Happening as we speak, as landlords/corps buy up or renovate existing buildings, get the poor people out by any means necessary. More middle class move in, areas get more gentrified, even more middle class move in. Prices increase. More wealthy move in. And so on...

It's already happened here in the last few decades to a dramatic degree...look at the transformation of Manhattan and parts of the other boroughs. It is happening more and more rapidly now. Very rapidly.

But there is room for more residents, since many many low rise buildings esp in Manhattan are being replaced with high rises.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:05 AM

358 posts, read 1,848,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
they actually need to regulate the zoning so that these developers dont overbuild on the lots trying to make a buck....this is how neighborhoods get ****ed up.
How could developers possibly "overbuild" in a place like NYC? There is so much housing demand. The only ****ed up thing about zoning regulation are the NIMBYers who own the property, who make huge $$$ by keeping the lots underdeveloped in relation to the demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
I think there will be a major demographic shift much sooner than many of you think. Many poor in upper manhattan, the bronx, and other "ghetto" areas will be forced out of NYC completely as a result. It is happening in one fell swoop in many areas. Very easy to get rid of the poor here. Simple as pie.

Factors:

Tight rental market. Insane competition for apts, even at "outrageous" rents and/or in "sketchy" areas.

Renovation of existing housing stock/new construction for middle class and wealthy.

Wholesale displacement of the poor. Happening as we speak, as landlords/corps buy up or renovate existing buildings, get the poor people out by any means necessary. More middle class move in, areas get more gentrified, even more middle class move in. Prices increase. More wealthy move in. And so on...

It's already happened here in the last few decades to a dramatic degree...look at the transformation of Manhattan and parts of the other boroughs. It is happening more and more rapidly now. Very rapidly.

But there is room for more residents, since many many low rise buildings esp in Manhattan are being replaced with high rises.
Very easy? How can their Section 8 vouchers, Public Housing, and other housing subsidies be taken away? Section 8 and public housing alone combine to make almost 10% of the NYC population.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:24 AM

842 posts, read 4,085,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
what we need to do is give condoms out to prevent all these young kids from having kids. That will slow the population growth.
lol true that. NYC can handle the population growth, but Manhattan will have to handle most of the people streaming into the city. So, instead of building out, they build up. And this trend will continue as long as NYC maintains its hype.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,298,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Actually, I did check my facts... And a link was even posted to prove it to you.
I never saw a link and if you check the US census data from 1950 through 2000 you will see that NYC'a population was stagnent, no increases and some slight declines. Like I stated the increase in the 2000 figures was the first increase in population in NYC since 1950

Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,275,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
How could developers possibly "overbuild" in a place like NYC? There is so much housing demand. The only ****ed up thing about zoning regulation are the NIMBYers who own the property, who make huge $$$ by keeping the lots underdeveloped in relation to the demand.

Very easy? How can their Section 8 vouchers, Public Housing, and other housing subsidies be taken away? Section 8 and public housing alone combine to make almost 10% of the NYC population.
There IS a limit to how much housing you can build in this city. It's not all that big geographically, esp Manhattan, which also has a lot of commercial space. One of the reasons demand is so high is precisely because there is a limit to how much housing can be built here.

Section 8 is very hard to get onto, to put it mildly. It's a federally funded program (though each state handles the specifics), so do the math re: our current admin's priorities. Landlords can also opt out of the program as far as I know when they can command higher rents. I daresay that no landlord would welcome Section 8 tenants if they can renovate and get more in rent as a result. And apts don't have to be 100 percent section 8--in my b/f's building it is currently about one third of the tenants. That's the general idea behind section 8's--as a viable alternative to the segregated projects.

Public housing can be "worked around." All the boroughs have them, even cheek to jowl in "better" areas.

And I wouldn't count on public housing being intact indefinitely either. One change in the wind...the dept of homeless services is turning away people they claim can stay with friends and relatives. But guess what? If they stay in Section 8 apts with other residents, they can probably all get evicted for overcrowding. I'm also assuming there's wait lists for the public housing projects as well.

Look how the middle income housing developments are being dismantled (Peter Cooper Village, Stuy Town) as well as those owners/landlords opting out of the Mitchell Lama Program. Never say never--the disparity between someone paying very low rent due to stabilization while a neighbor pays three times as much is not likey to be "tolerated"--and the transformation is already well underway. As soon as rents hit $2000, rent stabilization no longer applies anyway, far as I know.

As for the non-section 8 residents, as rents go up (yes, even in the Bronx), they may have to move on and move out. The Bronx is the last stop for the poorest in the city. After that, there's nowhere to go. People are being driven out of their apts systematically (think Pinnacle Group just for starters).
Even "cheap," rent stabilized Bronx apts can be beyond the reach of the working poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City