Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 PM

17 posts, read 21,519 times

Advertisements

So i will be visiting NY again over new years for 3 weeks, and i was just curious as to what to do. im thinking times square, because i will be a tourist and this is a very popular thing to do.
Does anyone have any advice to give me?

Also some good places to eat out would be good i already have a big list, including food trucks for example waffles and dinges, halal guys etc and restaurants such as TGI fridays, ihop etc, typical foods like pizza and burgers are fine as i wont be looking to dine out at high priced restaurants, any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 01:13 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Don't they have Fridays's and IHOPs where you come from?

Old 11-03-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Don't they have Fridays's and IHOPs where you come from?
nope not in australia

Old 11-04-2012, 04:06 AM

anyone?

Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 AM

241 posts, read 372,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_123 View Post
anyone?
I'm guessing you don't have the news.

Look up New York City and Sandy.

Then see why no one cares about your silly vacation right now.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:05 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,211 times
Well I'll play. In the name of kindness. You'll want to visit Times Square (but keep in mind you'll be wandering in there with a couple hundred thousand other tourists, since every single real New Yorker that I know, myself included, avoids the area like the plague). Since you're coming during the holidays go to Rockefeller Center and see the tree. And be prepared to be in throngs of people so thick that you literally cannot move. I also avoid this area like the plague between the months of November-January.

As far as food is concerned. Don't waste your time with chain restaurants. They suck, to put it bluntly. They all utilize pre-cooked food and frozen food that they essentially dump in the fryer or in a pan for a minute or two on the line, and voila! Plus the small restaurants really need your business right now. You would be FAR better off wandering around a neighborhood and finding a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant to try out. They are usually cheaper and significantly better. Plus NYC has millions of small restaurants- it's one of the things that makes this city so great.

I suggest:
-Halal cart on 53rd and 6th ave. You'll know the one, the line will be a block long.
-Corner bistro in the west village- I think it's on west 4th. All they serve is burgers, hot dogs and fries. But holy crap its one of the best burgers I've had.
-Jing Fong restaurant in chinatown for Dim Sum. I went with a Chinese friend a few months ago and she ordered us a ton of stuff. Definitely awesome.

If you're willing to go to Brooklyn (which would be ridiculous if you didn't, since you'll be there for three weeks), go to N&D pizza on Ave U and West 9th St. Get a grandma slice.

In Brooklyn visit Brooklyn Heights- the Brooklyn Bridge park offers the best view of the skyline of lower Manhattan. Wander around Williamsburg- it's incredibly gentrified and has a ton of shops/restaurants/hipster culture. Worth seeing if you really want to see NYC for what it is. The Brooklyn Brewery does tours that are fun. After the tour you can buy tokens to drink there- they allow you to bring food in. Get a falafel from Oasis on North 7th and Bedford on your way. Normally Coney Island is on my suggestion list, but I don't think that will be an area that anyone can really vacation to for some time now.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:47 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
I'm guessing you don't have the news.

Look up New York City and Sandy.

Then see why no one cares about your silly vacation right now.
Thank you. The OP is annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City